Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Windows overheated

I have a 2018 3791 RD. I would like to know if anyone has come up with a way to insulate the windows hopefully from the outside as they are so hot inside that you cannot touch them. When going past them it is like walking past a heater. I am thinking about getting some 1" foil sided fiberglass insulation and attaching it somehow. I am complaining about the heat in the middle of the winter. What will it be like in the spring? We are stationary till May 1 so I would take it down then.
just wondering if anyone has done something about this problem. The windows protected by the awning are fine.

shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
Desert Rat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24985
Do you have your window awnings out?
Old 12-15-2019, 03:44 AM   #3
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
You have gone too far south
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:49 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I have been looking for a window film that reflects the heat but allows enough light through. My windows have enough factory tint already. Most window film goes on the inside. I think, to reject heat, it must be installed on the outside. Like you said, even the window frames are hot. I found this.
There is only one sentence that says it is possible to install on the outside.
"Window film is to be applied on the inside of your window unless specified otherwise."
BDF NSN70 Window Film Transparent Ultra High Heat Rejection & UV Cut NSN 70 (Very Light) - 36in X 14ft
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3200_439081400
The only other thing to do would be to install awnings over the windows that dont have them.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:35 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Home Depot sells a product called Reflectix. Cut to the window size and put between the blinds and the window. It will stay in place with little support. If you use a laser temp reader you will see a significant differential with and without - in our case, over 10 degrees. The downside is that it isn't transparent.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Reflectix/N-5yc1vZ19n
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #6
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
I had MCD blinds installed & they have made a big difference.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Where r you anyway? We are in key west and just pull blinds down and back window we put a thin insulated piece but that's it.

Never had an issue of hot hot windows.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #8
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Home Depot sells a product called Reflectix. Cut to the window size and put between the blinds and the window. It will stay in place with little support. If you use a laser temp reader you will see a significant differential with and without - in our case, over 10 degrees. The downside is that it isn't transparent.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Reflectix/N-5yc1vZ19n
I made those after dealing with too much heat coming in last winter in Florida. Our big windows face west. I finished the edges with aluminum tape, and the window latches hold them up while the blinds keep them from falling out. They seem to be working quite well.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
What are window awnings? Am I missing something?
Old 12-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Lake Charles< LA.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #11
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
You need to block the heat before it's inside. Or you're wasting your time.
This kind of thing.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191215_115425.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	5205  
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:11 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have screens on the outside of all our windows from Rvsunscreenco.com
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Like MARK A and DQDick we have the outside screens for our unit. Had them made down in AZ two years ago. They are connected by button snaps on the screen and the male part of the snap riveted to the unit. We install them when we get set up especially on the side of the unit where the sun beats on it all day and the back large window. They told us when we had them installed the screening had copper threads running through it and absorbed the heat from the sun and disperses it on the outside of the unit. It is remarkably different inside the unit as soon as we snap them on. It does make the inside of the unit a little darker but it sure is cooler. You can even open the windows to let a little air circulation through the unit and it is definitely cooler air coming in than without the screens on the windows. We highly recommend them.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #14
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Go to ezsnapdirect.com. You have the frameless windows so you can put their snaps right to the window. We have been using this screening for years and it will keep your fiver kooler inside. And yes even when we lived in Florida we had it on our big rear windows and it really helped. It’s like it creates an air flow between the window and screen to keep the window cool.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #15
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
Another vote for Reflectix.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:46 PM   #16
ChrisW
Established Member

M.O.C. #20695
Our too we’re giving off so much heat, even through the pull down shades. I bought tension rods and blackout curtains for each window. Made a HUGE difference.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #17
harris71
Established Member

M.O.C. #13782
Try Solar Screening with tarp clips and command hooks

The best solution for side windows is adding a window awning. Our Monte has the molded back with a big rear window. On a lengthy stay last summer, it was facing directly south and was getting very hot. We bought a 6' wide roll of solar screening at a big box store and cut a 6' x 7' piece. We then attached tarp clips (plastic clips that have a slide piece that bites the ends into fabric) to the corners of the screening, and put "command" hooks on the rig outside each corner of the window and connected the tarp clips to the hooks with bungee cord. I have an infrared thermometer that you can get the temperature by just pointing at an object. The screen dropped the temperature of the glass inside the rig from 105 to 82. It stayed up all summer, even in thunderstorms. The command hooks are still on the back, after 2000 miles of travel (took the screen down for travel obviously).
harris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:47 PM   #18
DRay

M.O.C. #24311
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead86 View Post
I have a 2018 3791 RD. I would like to know if anyone has come up with a way to insulate the windows hopefully from the outside as they are so hot inside that you cannot touch them. When going past them it is like walking past a heater. I am thinking about getting some 1" foil sided fiberglass insulation and attaching it somehow. I am complaining about the heat in the middle of the winter. What will it be like in the spring? We are stationary till May 1 so I would take it down then.
just wondering if anyone has done something about this problem. The windows protected by the awning are fine.
Go to rvtoystore.com. And order Sunguard shades. They really help cool the heat come thru my windows.
DRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:46 AM   #19
Timberdoodle

M.O.C. #18244
Windows overheated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRay View Post
Go to rvtoystore.com. And order Sunguard shades. They really help cool the heat come thru my windows.
We have a film on the inside that stops the radiant heat. We used to feel heat coming off window and furniture even got hot. With film the window is hot but furniture is cool and temp in room is amazingly reduced. An installer came to our house with samples. We picked one and he applied it. We can see out but it is slightly darker.
Timberdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #20
DRay

M.O.C. #24311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberdoodle View Post
We have a film on the inside that stops the radiant heat. We used to feel heat coming off window and furniture even got hot. With film the window is hot but furniture is cool and temp in room is amazingly reduced. An installer came to our house with samples. We picked one and he applied it. We can see out but it is slightly darker.
Thats Great The Sunguard are snapped on the outside and keeps the heat out side. By doing so it never lets the heat enter your RV which in turn causes your AC to work less.
DRay is offline   Reply With Quote