Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2019, 11:00 PM   #1
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Reloading

I was wondering if anyone here reloads..? Took the wife to the range now she wants to shoot all the time which means at this rate I need to learn how to reload. I don’t know anyone that does reload. In the Corps the ammo truck came and we loaded up lol.

I’m looking to learn how to reload .223 (5.56). 9mm. .40, .45, and .308.

From my research I’m looking at Hornady progressive ap press. I think I have the dies and plates figured out. Just don’t want to lose a hand trying to figure it out lol.

Thanks
Tony

2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:22 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Well I would practice my "Yes Dears" first.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:54 AM   #3
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
We shoot a lot and i would like to reload also. BUT our ranges here in Naples will not allow any reloaded, steel core, tracer types of ammo of any kind and must be new in a box or no go on the range. It sucks but its one of though things that come with shooting.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:01 AM   #4
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Some guys that reload like to add a bit more power than they should. It's a safety thing. I guess they had one gun blow up and thats all it takes. My dad used to reload shotgun shells. All you need is some brass primers powder and bullets. There are instructio0ns on how much powder to use for which grain bullet you use. Probably get your stuff at a gun store or online. Shooting gets expensive when your wife likes it LOL
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #5
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
My husband shoots Cowboy Action/Wild Bunch Shooting and USPSA and he does most of his own reloading. Piston, rifle and shotgun. Been doing it for many years. He has a cheap reloader but would love a nice one some day. He can dial in the loads he needs for each type of match.
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We reloaded most everything except shotgun years ago. It has now become very expensive in both equipment and supplies. Ammo at a reasonable price can be purchased. If you are a RV'er there is the problem of where do you set up your reloading bench.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My son and I used to shoot a lot and reloaded all our ammo. It is really not difficult and there are lots of good books and other guides available to help you along with all the "how tos" and using different bullet types and powder loads. Follow those and you will have no problem. As as stated above, don't add extra powder. In addition to being dangerous, it can actually hurt accuracy rather than help it.

I bought a basic RCBS Rockchucker single stage loader kit that contained everything I needed. Only thing I would do different would get a digital powder scale instead of the beam scale. We reloaded 30-06, .270, .243, 9mm, .357, .40, and .45 ACP, The kit works well for the amount we reloaded.But we rarely shoot any more and it has sat idle for a few years now.

Basic target ammo is cheap enough that you really don't gain much by loading your own unless you are really shooting a lot. Our range allowed us to pick up our used brass. We would typically reload each brass only two times carefully inspecting it each time.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #8
capras801
Established Member

M.O.C. #20459
reloading

RCBS is the best. I load everything from .223 to .500 AE plus on the other of my room i load Black Powder .30 to .45-110
capras801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Right up my alley. We make reloading equipment and sell it all over the world. We make high end stuff not Walmart stuff. We have made more custom power measures than everyone else combined.
My web site is listed at the bottom of this post.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
Jrstout2022

M.O.C. #25105
Reload for accuracy and the more uncommon calibers. Go by the published data of the powder manufactures. Start low and work your way up looking or signs of pressure and all will go well.

If you get into it, make sure you focus with no distractions and use a good scale.
Jrstout2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #11
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
in the �� state in which I currently reside purchasing ammunition requires a 19$ back ground check per transaction. In order for it to cost 1$ per transaction I would need to purchase another firearm and be placed in a statewide database. As explained to me by 2 sellers of firearms and ammo the state will keep a record of what was purchased and if you shoot a lot they MAY come around asking questions.

I don’t want this to become a political post but to keep this short I would rather not be on any lists. No I’m not a felon I have nothing to hide I also don’t want to give anyone information about me what I have or do. I follow the law, I’m a 100% service connected disabled veteran USMC, and I don’t need big brother looking over my shoulder.

In short that’s why I’m looking into reloading and the wife is pushing me in that direction too. I do have 2 books in my amazon cart with all the specifications on each round, as far as reloading.

Thank you for the advice !!

Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
No matter what you end up doing, be extremely careful when selecting and measuring powder. One of the son-in-laws lost all the tips of his fingers on one hand when an improperly loaded round he loaded blew up when he fired it. I guess he doesn't have to worry about getting finger printed on that hand anymore.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #13
Jrstout2022

M.O.C. #25105
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
No matter what you end up doing, be extremely careful when selecting and measuring powder. One of the son-in-laws lost all the tips of his fingers on one hand when an improperly loaded round he loaded blew up when he fired it. I guess he doesn't have to worry about getting finger printed on that hand anymore.
An accurate scale and attention to detail in your loading process, knowing what stage each brass is at, is essential.
Jrstout2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
....It has now become very expensive in both equipment and supplies. Ammo at a reasonable price can be purchased. If you are a RV'er there is the problem of where do you set up your reloading bench...
Agree, plus way too much trouble.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
For those of you who like accuracy shooting.
The record for 1000 yards 5 shots center to center 1 1/16 inch
100 yards .007 inch that’s the thickness of 2 sheets of paper. One round hole.
The 1000 yard record was shot with a 6 mm BR A cartage. It’s 1.5 inches long and .470 od. The 100 record was shot with a 6 mm PPC. It is 1.5 inches long and .440 od.

Redding and RCBS both make fine off the shelf presses. They are quite large and hard to carry around

For your resize dies Redding Bushing dies are top of the line especially if you have the proper bushing and throw the expanded ball away.

Seating dies: Wilson Straight Line dies are unequaled. This is what all benchrest shooters use with an arbor press.

If you buy a powder measure don’t buy an off the shelf one. They are hard to change from load to load. Ours can be changed from load to load after you know the settings by simply dialing to it. Then each click is .1 grain. I go prairie dog hunting and take 4 rifles the equipment and supplies to load them without a scale. No need for a scale.

The most overlooked price or equipment and one of the most important is a set or wind flags. A 10 MPH cross wind will move a bullet almost an inch at a hundred yards.

I’ve been making and selling reloading equipment for 30 years. That is all we do. You learn a few things. The best way to work up a load is to take all the equipment to the range and reload there. Increase your loads a 1/2 grain at the time. Shoot and reload then increase your load and do it again. You will see the groups start to change. All the equipment you need will fit in a shoebox. This is the way benchrest shooters haft to reload. Temperatures and humidity change all day and both affect group size. When ten thousandths of an inch can move you from first to fifth place every little bit helps.

You will never regret buying the best to equipment to start with and you will never shoot at your or your gun’s best with inferior equipment.

I would suggest you go to a benchrest match or better still look up a benchrest shooter and let them help you. Most with be thrilled to help. They are the most technical shooters in the world. They shook groups we mortals can only dream about.
Lynwood
Old 11-19-2019, 07:29 PM   #16
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I’ve been reloading for years, maybe 50 by now, lost track. My advice would be to buy AND READ a good reloading manual. Go slowly, double check everything, and don’t allow any distractions while you are loading. It’s a fun and rewarding hobby, welcome to the madness.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We started reloading in the early 60's and continued into the late 80's. We had a large garage with a large bench and shelf space for all our equipment. We reloaded just about all rifle and pistol. We had a lot of $$$ invested in reloading equipment and supplies. It was at that time well worth reloading.

We can pick up 5.56 55 grain on sale for 25/26 cents a round now. Considering the equipment and supplies you need to reload that round there is not much savings involved.

We are in a 40 foot Montana most of the year now and do not have the space for reloading equipment and supplies . We also do not shoot as much anymore.

You do learn a lot when you reload your own.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You can buy cheap ammunition but it’s not loaded for your rifle. It won’t shoot as good as ammunition loaded for your rifle.
Your equipment doesn’t need to be a pickup truck full. You can have top of the line benchrest quality equipment that will fit in a shoebox. Your supplies will fit in another shoeboxe.
Lynwood
Old 11-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #19
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Years ago I had a Llama .38 super (piece o crap). I was able to buy reloads from the "gun store", boxed like new ammo at half the price.
Don't know if that's still true, don't know if this helps.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
You can buy cheap ammunition but it’s not loaded for your rifle. It won’t shoot as good as ammunition loaded for your rifle.
Your equipment doesn’t need to be a pickup truck full. You can have top of the line benchrest quality equipment that will fit in a shoebox. Your supplies will fit in another shoeboxe.
Lynwood
Where in a Montana do you do the reloading?? When we were hunting we loaded for what we were hunting and where we were hunting. Our shooting is now at a range at 25 yards or so. Store bought ammo will do fine for that.