Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #21
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
The Demco autoslide allows you to be off by a bit and you can still hook up - something like 10 degrees. I've never had an issue hooking up to it. I also like that it has height adjustments to help me get my complete set up level.

2017 Fully Grown 5 Pound Toy Golden Doodle
BandBmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #22
Lcwl
Established Member

M.O.C. #22128
Bought a 4400 series in 2008. It’s been great. Came to the 2018 rally last year and went to pullrite to get a pin for the rail. Said something to them about my latch seemed loose and they pulled my hitch went thru it. They replaced the gear on top head, replaced decals and said it good for another 11 years. The best part was they didn’t charge me anything.

The only con is when unlatching sometimes I have to back up to get it to unlatch. But never had a turn I couldn’t make.
Lcwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #23
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I looked at Pullrite but decided against it when a friend that has one told me I had to be right inline with the trailer to hook and unhook so I went with the B&W Companion. I am very happy with that although it is very heavy and I cannot remove it myself without a chain fall. If doing it again I would likely get the Anderson. In two years I have not had a turn so sharp I needed to use the slide. The front cap of the Montana's allow a pretty sharp turn.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:53 AM   #24
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
We have a pull rite slider & love it. Pulls the Monty with no chucking or swaying. You don't know it's back there. The only drawback is, the hitch takes up all the space in the bed of the truck. If we did it again, I'd look at a removable hitch.
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #25
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
I have been using a pullrite super glide for a few years. The hitch works great except for slack between the roller and slots. If I brake or accelerate while turning, I get a big jerking when the roller hits the other side of the slot. The slack is less than a quarter inch, but when it slides straight forward or back, the distance is much greater. In addition, there is a sixteenth inch side to side slack between the receiver and the capture plate. First the hitch slides until the roller hits the other side and then the momentum takes up the slack at the capture plate.

I am presently trying to work with pullrite to get the problem fixed. The jerk is so bad that it feels like someone ran into the 5th wheel. I can't accept this as being a common problem with pullrite.

I'll let you know how pullrite treats me.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’m not trying to defend Pulrite. I know nothing about them but I do know about manufacturing. This sounds like the problem with threads. You haft to have play in them to work and then and the less play they have in them the more expensive they get. I suspect if Pulrite just half the play out of their hitch those parts would double in cost.
Every engineer would like to have zero tolerance in every thing and every marketing department wonts it cheap. So there is always a conflict, near perfect or cheap. There is usually a middle ground.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #27
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
I appreciate your position on tolerance and price.

If anyone experienced the big jerk that I experienced, I'm absolutely sure they would have a problem with it. I understand about tolerance and manufacturing. I owned a manufacturing business. Too much tolerance can make a product undesirable and tolerance in 2 places adds up. There's a difference between acceptable tolerance and no where near acceptable.

My intent was not to bad mouth pullrite before they have the opportunity to respond. I was hoping to help others who may be having the same problem. I absolutely love everything about the operation of the hitch except the big jerk when turning. Like I said, it feels like someone ran into the 5th wheel. From what I have read on this site, pullrite takes care of its customers. I'm hoping this is the result in my case. I can't even imagine pullrite considering this normal.

And my pullrite hitch was by no means a cheap purchase.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #28
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
Pullrite hitch height is adjustable. I have 3 sets of feet with mine, 3 different heights. It's very simple to change the height. I'm sure you can get them from pullrite.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #29
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfisher View Post
I appreciate your position on tolerance and price.

If anyone experienced the big jerk that I experienced, I'm absolutely sure they would have a problem with it. I understand about tolerance and manufacturing. I owned a manufacturing business. Too much tolerance can make a product undesirable and tolerance in 2 places adds up. There's a difference between acceptable tolerance and no where near acceptable.

My intent was not to bad mouth pullrite before they have the opportunity to respond. I was hoping to help others who may be having the same problem. I absolutely love everything about the operation of the hitch except the big jerk when turning. Like I said, it feels like someone ran into the 5th wheel. From what I have read on this site, pullrite takes care of its customers. I'm hoping this is the result in my case. I can't even imagine pullrite considering this normal.

And my pullrite hitch was by no means a cheap purchase.
Have never had that problem with two different Pullrite hitches and two different Monty's. My guess is you have something that isn't adjusted correctly. If you're coming to the fall Rally the Pullrite rep can look at your hitch and advise you.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #30
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
I can't make the rally this year. Maybe next year. I'm pretty sure that I'll hear back from pullrite in the next few days. I'm hoping for a positive response. They requested pictures, which I've already sent, and they clearly show the problem.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #31
Mroe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23577
We had the dealer service manager look at ours and agrees that there is a problem. He took a video of the movement as I moved the unit forward and back slightly. He said he would send the video to Pull-rite, but I haven't heard anything back for over 2 months. He put in a rubber (hose) piece, as a shim to see if it would help. Granted it will wear out eventually. But will have to see how it goes. He still stated that the hitch is not "broke in" as we have don't have a lot of miles on it and it seems that the adjustment bolt needs to be adjusted a lot after each trip. We're going on a trip next week, so we'll see if it clunks then. Yes, please let me know if Pull-Rite does something for you.
Mroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #32
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
The only thing that hitch break in may fix is frequently having to adjust the stop for play when driving or backing straight. The stop adjuster does not have any effect when turning since the mechanism moves away from the stop adjuster when turning.

I'm wondering if a roller can be made to fit the slot. Or maybe use angle iron to fill the slot and weld it in place. This should work good if it's the right thickness. Only need a few thousands clearance, but any reduction will help.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #33
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
It doesn't fix the problem, but it helps if the 5th wheel brakes are set a little tighter.