Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2004, 09:34 AM   #1
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
Cleaning & Waxing The BEAST!

This past weekend I tackled cleaning and waxing the new Montana. All I can say is that thing is BIG! Almost 37'long! Saturday I started on the front and rear caps first using just regular car wash and a soft bristle bursh (the 8'brush that Camping World sells). Still used a 10' ladder to get closer so I could get the bugs off. I used the GEL GLOSS Cleaner & Wax that went on very easy and wiped off even easier. Proabaly will have to use it more often than if I had used McGuires wax but definately didn't have to use the effort it would have taken either. Sunday I did the roof and got both sides done in about 5 hours time. I used the same car wash on the roof as I did on the rest of the coach. All in all cleaning the exterior of this camper was much easier than the old aluminum sided camper. It use to take me a week to get it cleaned and it was only 24'. Now I have to do the truck. Too bad I can't use the GEL GLOSS on it also.

Bill

Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:51 AM   #2
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
GOOD JOB! We have yet to wash and wax out 5er, do since you are experienced now, do you wanna come over and do ours? LOL

It's a big job I've heard and something that the men in my family can tackle since I'm responsible for the inside.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:10 AM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Wow!It only took 2 days, I am like Melissa and Mike you can come do mine too. I am not sure that I will get ours done anytime soon with Walt down after surgery and another one coming up in a month, and the wind just won't quit blowing out here. Anyway sounds like you did a good job and I bet it looks real nice.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:19 AM   #4
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
Oh sure! I'll be over to do your's right after work! Hee hee hee.......

I'll probably pay the price by tomorrow. It usually takes about 48 hours for it to hit me. My arms will probably drop off around noon but it's worth it. It really looks good now. I wanted to get a coat of wax on it before we headed to Myrtle Beach. We'll be leaving for two weeks, July 10 - 24. Now I don't have to worry about that salty air/mist messing up the finish.

Bill
Old 06-21-2004, 10:34 AM   #5
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Bill N Pat, You all have a great time and keep us posted when you can. We look forward to hearing about all your great adventures. Have a safe trip. Happy RVing
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 12:49 PM   #6
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
It's a great feeling to get the truck and 5er detailed and waxed!!! In 2 1/2 years I've done mine 3 times. Always start out dreading the effort and end up being extremely pleased with the results!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I called the mobil wash and wax guys when I was getting ready to take our first trip. Now that we are leaving tomorrow for our second trip I washed and waxed the Montana myself last weekend. It took every bit of eight hours and I had muscle soreness for three days. I think the next time I will call the mobil guys again.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:00 AM   #8
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Good morning Bill n Pat - Did your arms fall off?? Sure hate to see that happen for we would miss you on this web site!!!

We haven't waxed our Monty yet, but it sounds like it is a job for "superhubby"!!
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 04:59 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Craig, I'd agree it's probably a great feeling when it's done.... but it's the getting to that point that I don't like. I'm supposed to be retired, ya know? But I'm also too cheap to pay somebody else to do it. Maybe a keg party where the keg isn't opened until the Montana is done?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:23 AM   #10
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

I called the mobil wash and wax guys when I was getting ready to take our first trip. Now that we are leaving tomorrow for our second trip I washed and waxed the Montana myself last weekend. It took every bit of eight hours and I had muscle soreness for three days. I think the next time I will call the mobil guys again.
Generally speaking, about how much does this cost?
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:52 AM   #11
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vickster

Good morning Bill n Pat - Did your arms fall off?? Sure hate to see that happen for we would miss you on this web site!!!

We haven't waxed our Monty yet, but it sounds like it is a job for "superhubby"!!
Lucky for me they're still here

This was the first time I used the RV GEL GLOSS Cleaner & Wax and the first time I cleaned a fiberglass camper. The stuff was easy to put on and easy to take off. I really didn't have to buff it off like you would for car wax. I'm sure it's not as durable as regular wax so I'll be cleaning again after we return from vacation. Before I winterize it it'll get a coat of Meguires and I'm sure to feel it afterword.

Happy Campin

Bill
Old 06-25-2004, 04:25 PM   #12
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I paid the mobil guys $250.00 to wash and wax our 3670. I would think it should be a few less $ to just wash it.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:24 PM   #13
Montana_1774
Established Member

M.O.C. #1774
I wax our current unit (30' Dutchman alum siding) 2-3 times a year. I use a 10" orbital buffer to apply and polish. Will I be able to use the buffer with the fiberglass walls/cap on the Mountaineer?
Montana_1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 07:33 PM   #14
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I used the buffer on ours and it worked well.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:01 PM   #15
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
I use Full Timer's Choice Trailer Glitter Rv wash to clean my 5er. It does a great job. Be sure to wet the surface first, use only the reccommened 1/4 cup per gallon of water. Too much leaves streaks on the windows. This also softens bug spots on the front cap, which there a great many after trailing this time of season. It doesn't take away black streaks very well, but so far we don't have that many on our rig. I purchased mine at Wal-mart in the RV section of the Automotive department.

I find that I have to clean the outside before going on a trip and of course after the trip before putting it back in storage. I also use the the RV wash on my truck, since I usually have to clean it before and after a trip.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:27 AM   #16
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
Time to clean and wax the Montana again. We just returned from Myrtle Beach and the coach needs a thorough cleaning to get all that salty yuck off of it. The last time I used Gel Gloss Cleaner and Wax. It didn’t seem to hold up in that salty air. However I used “New Finish Polish” for the first time on my truck before leaving for the beach and it keep beading up all the while we were there and still is. I was surprised to find that you can use the stuff in sun or shade. It also goes on and comes off as easily as the Gel Gloss. Hopefully we’ll have good weather this weekend so I can get the project done. Nothing better looking than a shiny clean Montana going down the road!

Happy Rving!
Bill
Old 08-03-2004, 03:01 AM   #17
spinky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1106
We talked to some guys who will wash and wax our Monty for a hundred and fifty dollars. They use a canuba yellow wax. Does that sound like a good wax to use on the 3280? Won't tell them yes until we hear from a few people. Thanks.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:13 AM   #18
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by spinky
.. They use a canuba yellow wax. Does that sound like a good wax to use on the 3280? ...
IIRC I looked at several cans of wax at the auto parts store sometime back and saw that waxes containing canuba were not recommented for vinyl. I took this to mean that it would not be good for the decals.

Someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong! (Wouldn't be the first time!! )

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:08 AM   #19
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I have used McQuires Wax that contains canuba wax for years on my RV. Makes the fiberglas glisten and decals glisten as well. Also use sometype of wash 7 wax combo when washing your RV in between times that you wax. There is also somthing else you can do about everyother time you wax which is usea product by Eagle One call Wax&Dry. you spray this type of wax sealer on while the RV or truck is wet and hand dry it down, this will also give it a protective coating and repel water. I also use this on my awnimgs, makes them shed water better and gives the whole RV a shine to it. This type of spray is also good to keep the front of RV coated with wax to help keep bugs off.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:50 AM   #20
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Wash and wax $45. in Pourto Pansco Mex. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote