Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Filtered Water

I did a search and couldn't find the information I wanted. We have about all the other information we need, cell phone, internet,laptop tv, etc etc. But I was wondering what type of water filtration system you use while fulltiming? One under the sink for just the kitchen or for the whole rig? Thanks Jack.

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
After seeing many other fulltimers using a whole house filter, we bought one for our rig. The inserts are actually cheaper than the RV filters that you buy. Roman4 had his house filter hanging at the bottom of his ladder so Glen adopted that method. Others put them in traffic cones with the tops cut off to fit the filter. Hope this helps.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

After seeing many other fulltimers using a whole house filter, we bought one for our rig. The inserts are actually cheaper than the RV filters that you buy. Roman4 had his house filter hanging at the bottom of his ladder so Glen adopted that method. Others put them in traffic cones with the tops cut off to fit the filter. Hope this helps.
What Judy said.
The blue inline filters you buy at WallyWorld or Camping World are OK for short stays but I perfer the whole house in fact I have 2 whole house used inline. What the first one misses the second gets. You can buy the complete unit and replacement filters at Home Depot, Lowes or any good hardware/plumbing store.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have the whole house filter,traffic cone setup. We also have a filter on the faucet in the kitchen and at time even that isn't enough. If you like to drink water you sometimes just have to break down and buy some water. You can usually tell the water is really crummy as there will be water for sale on every corner.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #5
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
We have our water filtered via inline hose and we have a counter top water dispenser for those areas where it seems no amount of filtering you do will cut the bad taste. Last year in Arizona, we could smell the chlorine, so rented a water dispensing system for the months we were there. We just bought this cooler and haven't used it yet - but will be nice to start out with our own water to drink, also allows us to gradually give different water mix to our pets and they don't get sick....nice to read what others are doing, as it seemed to be a topic of conversation at the parks we were at in the Southland....

Chaser
Mike & Evy Orlob
2006-3400; 2004-3500 Dodge Ram
Retired, Rv'ing, and RRRRRRRAce Fans
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Even though we do use 2 whole house filters we still buy spring water for drinking. The filtered cg water is used for coffee, dishes, showering and of course flushing the john.

Those that stayed at Pla-Mor for the rallies in Indiana are very familiar with their beige colored water. When we were warned NOT to do any white laundry in their laundry room we knew we were in trouble. Even a single whole house filter barely worked and that's the main reason I now use 2.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:11 PM   #7
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Can we see some pictures of the set up. Please and thank you.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:02 PM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Weuse whole house double filters and also a water softener. I love the softener. We still buy our water for drinking at Coscos. When in a really bad water place like Yuma, we buy water for coffee and cooking also.
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:52 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I would like some pics, too.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I use a whole house filter. Will be looking for a better filtering system the next time I am at Home Depot.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:43 AM   #11
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Glenn, Where is Pla-Mor located? Is that a regular RV park? How's the water at the fairgrounds in Goshen? We want to make sure we have enough filter replacements when we come for the rally if fairgrounds water is bad.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:57 AM   #12
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We have a counter top water dispenser espring brand and really love it. I see no use filtering the water that I am not consuming.to flush down the drain.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I was also wanting the eSpring, Bob. Might be good to use in the kitchen. However, an additional inline filter coming in to the Montana would be nice if it helps on your shower water. I have been places where I have to take a shower after my shower...
Old 06-16-2006, 12:10 PM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob & Lee

We have a counter top water dispenser espring brand and really love it. I see no use filtering the water that I am not consuming.to flush down the drain.

Gotta agree with dsprik on this one. At Pla-Mor the first year the water had so much iron discoloration that it even discolored the cold water lines in our Monty. Last year with the 2 whole house filters we had no such problems.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:18 PM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sunshine

Glenn, Where is Pla-Mor located? Is that a regular RV park? How's the water at the fairgrounds in Goshen? We want to make sure we have enough filter replacements when we come for the rally if fairgrounds water is bad.
Pla-Mor Campground is located in Breman, Indiana just south of Goshen. It was the location of the 1st Annual MOC International Rally in 2004 and the location for the MOC Great Lakes Region rally in 2005.

To be honest I don't remember the Fairgrounds water condition as I took no chances and used my filters. If you have just one cartridge you should be fine as we will only be there for a week. These cartridges usually last a few months. There are other MOCers who have stayed at the fairgrounds and maybe they will happen by and answer your question.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Glenn, what brand of whole house filters are you using? And where di you get them from. You might have posted that earlier - I didn't check.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:25 PM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
This is the type filter I am talking about..

Not sure of the brand but you can buy them at Lowes or Home Depot. They come with 3/4" pipe thread so be sure to buy the necessary hose thread fittings. The filter element is the pleated paper type which last 3 months. They are available at Camping World but they are way over priced. At Lowes or HD the whole package with the brass fittings might be $25.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:54 AM   #18
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Very nice, that was what I thought you were talking about, but wasn't really sure. Thanks
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:32 AM   #19
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We "double filter" the water. I have two filters connected together between the CG water and my city water input. The first filter is merely for removing dirt and other sediment. The second filter (Hydralife from CW) removes the water impurities. In our nearly six years of fulltiming we have not had a water "taste" problem. I think the double filtering does the job.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:35 AM   #20
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Thanks Glenn. We'll probably be okay with what we have. Thought if the fairgrounds water was like Pla-Mor though we might want to be sure we had "reinforcements".
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote