Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
Baqpqck

M.O.C. #5411
Montana 3000rk

My wife and I will be fulltiming in about a year. We are considering the 3000RK. WE really like the rear kitchen. The only thing I'm worried about is is there enough space for fulltiming in this unit. Is there anyone who is fulltiming in one.

Baqpqck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Living in a stick house and fulltiming in a 400 square foot RV is two completely different animals. Even though I don't have the unit you are thinking about, I would give you a qualified "yes" on the question of whether it is suitably large enough to support fulltiming. The reason it is qualified is because some people can't bring themselves to part with stuff to the point that it can't fit into the unit.

RV living is a trade-off at everypoint. If you want an onboard washer/dryer, you will surrender some closet space. If you want a fireplace, you will give up some storage. If you want to live fulltime in this unit, you can. You just have to decide what you will keep and what you will dismiss as unnecessary.

Other folks will come along and share their experiences so that you can make an informed decision. Welcome to the Forum.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We have been full timing nearly 2½ years in a 2955RL. It is a tad smaller than the 3000RK but we have all the room we need. Your comfort level maybe different so only you can truly answer that question.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:23 PM   #4
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Baqpqck, welcome to the forum. We really like our 3000RK, but we are not fulltiming in it. This is a fairly large RV, but we fill it up pretty quickly when we start packing golf clubs, pull carts, etc. Things we would need for fulltiming, for instance washer/dryer, freezer, etc would take up space we are now using for storage. We would need something with more storage space, but as Glenn says you can make it work. You just have to make tradeoffs. Good luck with your plans.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:30 AM   #5
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Baqpqdck, We also extend our welcome to the forum. We actually full time in a 2950RK. It was the smallest unit that Montana made. This is the unit that the 3000RK replaced. We have more than enough room for the two of us and two chihuahua's and a twenty three year old cat. Like Stiles said, you have to decide on what "stuff" you have to keep. We gave everything to the kids. Anything they didn't want was given to Goodwill. We did keep some things like Karen's Longaberger baskets of Hope and my "pig" collection. Everything we kept we display.

We also have a washer/dryer in our unit. So far we are quite comfortable. We even have enough room for the grandkids when they come to visit for a weekend!!

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
Retread
Established Member

M.O.C. #4969
Bagpgck,

We sold our house, gave all our furniture to the children or Goodwill and took delivery of a 3000RK on Feb 17 for fulltime RVing. We are on our shakedown voyage of the new RV at Palm Lake RV Park in Foley, Alabama.
We will be here until the middle of March checking out all the RV's systems and how we can adapt to the life of an RVer. So far everything works and we are having fun!! We are happy with the 3000RK and looking forward to traveling north this spring and summer before settling down in Alabama for the winters.
We'll let you know from time to time how things are working out.

Retread (John and Louise)
Retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Bagpqck, congratulations on your future lifestyle. The 3000 is a very nice unit. We don't fulltime, but we most-of-the-time. We don't have the washer/dryer and don't miss it at this time. You might consider doing the laundromat thing and using that large area for storage which is what we do. As a result, we have storage room to spare. If we had a W/D, it would be touch.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Baqpqck, We also have a rear kitchen model(3650rk) and love it. The DW is using it now as a second home close to where she works while I am overseas. As for storage, I am not sure but I believe the 3400 has the most storage af all the units. I may be wrong and if so I hope someone corrects me. As for the rear kitchen, we wouldn't change a thing.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:47 AM   #9
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Phyllis and I finally moved into our 2004 3280RL on the 28th of January.
We don't have the laundry unit and use the space for storage.
We sold/gave away everything in the old house and only brought her miniature lighthouse collection and my trains for toys. We each have our own laptops for communication and share a printer that sits in the bedroom where the little tv was, (we decided we didn't want it and gave it away). We have plenty of room, and Gizmo has his place too. We don't miss the house, nor do we miss the cleaning etc. Takes us about an hour a week to vaccum, dust etc and about an hour and ahalf for clothes washing at the laundromat here in the park.

Living in a fifth wheel, in my opinion, is a matter of attitude. You can see it as scaled down house or see it as a "camper". We like to think of it as our apartment. It's bigger than the first one I ever had and about 1/4th the size of the house we left. It's Great!!!! Phyl has about 2 years left until she can retire, I already am So this will do for us until we can get on the road all the time, (in our Monty naturally!)
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:08 AM   #10
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
Welcome, We have the 3000RK and been living in it for a little over four months and just love it. You cant bring every thing you own with you, But we find there's plenty of storage for most items you need. Just remember what ever model you choose your making the right choice going with a MONTANA!!!
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote