Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2005, 03:27 PM   #21
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
We have been f/t since March '05 and now have traveled over 10K. We had a few miner problems along the way. We are very happy with the way our Monty performs. Our Monty is our magic carpet. An old friend of mine from Alaska informed me that after many years of rver across the country that you will experience many problems along the way. I think those of you who travel across the country f/t will bare out that fact. I am hoping that my Monty will rise to the occursion. Merry Christmas

Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:11 PM   #22
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We've been fulltiming in our Monty for 4 1/2 years in all kinds of weather and road conditions. So far, so good. Like others, we've had some problems here and there, but nothing that stopped us. Pulls great and the interior looks as good as when we bought it.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 02:35 PM   #23
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
This is a terrific thread and really shows how the vast majority of Montana owners are happy with their rigs. I have only pulled mine home and I am really looking forward to spring but I have already spent many hours getting to know the Montana. I am a fussy guy and I tell you my 06 is very well put together and the fit and finish is far superior to anything else I have owned in the last 32 years.

I have seen people full timing in trailers that are not as well built as Montanas and I truly believe that RVs, Boats, and houses are things you have to maintain and if one expects to live somewhere and never have any problems in that place, well I think he is dreaming and those folks in 600000 dollar Coaches have problems too. Thanks for so many interesting posts. Don
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:56 AM   #24
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Dave, excellent post. Right on the money buddy and lets face it. It's all about the money Montana is the best bang for the buck
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:34 PM   #25
Montana_5204

M.O.C. #5204
We've been full timing (24/7/365) since Oct '04 & bought our Montana ('05 2980RL) in March '05. We've had quite a few problems. Most were not major or structural, but very bothersome. The wireless, remote control thermostat was a complete disaster (it took 8 months to get that replaced). We've traveled across the country twice and our truck ('05 F250) which we got in Nov '04, has 29K miles already. I've had the trailer into 4 different dealers, plus spent 3 days in Goshen at the warranty service center, and finally got almost all of it fixed. But I had to keep hammering on them to get them to fix stuff. It was like pulling teeth. The individual dealers don't want to bother with you unless you bought the unit from them. At every single dealer I visited, the first question is "Did you buy it here?" Finally, after 10 months, four dealers & 3 days in Goshen & countless phone calls, things are smoothing out a bit. I've also been dissapointed with fit & finish & initial quality issues (overtightened, stripped screws, poorly fitting cabinets, etc.). We researched trailers a long time B4 we got this one, but after the bad experiences I'm not convinced it will last as long as I hoped it would. The carpet is already beginning to show some wear, and it's only 10 months old. I guess time will tell, but I don't have a lot of confidence at this point. If you are having trouble with your wireless, remote control thermostat, they will replace it if you keep hitting them over the head about it. B.C.
Montana_5204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Trapliner, sorry to hear about your problems. If you are hearing too much of this, "Did you buy it here?" stuff, call the dealer you bought it from and read the warranty statement to him in his "Reponsibilities".

http://keystonerv.com/media/manual/K...1_Warranty.PDF

There is an ongoing thread regarding warranty issues right now that you might want to check out.

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....C_ID~13412.asp

Also there is a huge link on this forum rearding the remote problems. Montana has now discontinued putting these in any new units.

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....IC_ID~8145.asp
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:36 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
IMHO..post like trapliner are more the norm that the exception.Most owners just don't like to admit it AND..If you use these things, any brand, to full time in you are going to wear them out in a hurry. They are just not designed for that again they are RECREATIONAL vehicles.It is interesting to note that in 10 months of full timing trapliner had more time in his camper that we did in 10 years in our TT. Our carpets were in good shape... We do expect quality and fit and finish issues on the 3400 we order. The probability is good that we will have one or more major Warranty issues. That is why we are holding off on the order till we can hook it up a use it. The Warranty is not going to wind down in the driveway. We will shake every defect large and small out of it before we hit the road. We are after much research and participation on this forum ready to do battle with dealers, keystone, Montana IF need be. None of this deters us from the Montana purchase..It is still the best bang for the buck.. We are going to keep a journal starting the day of delivery and will share it with all.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:57 AM   #28
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Sorry also to hear of your trials on the road. We have had some also. The main one (Remote and A/C going on at the same time but we will get the CCC in Yuma) Having said that we still believe that our Monty has been a good value. I have talked to so many on our travels that own coaches from other manufacturers and their problems are similar to what we see on this site.....hope you have better travels ahead...Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #29
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The thing to remember is these rv's are made by man. And man is not perfect! I have only had a few minor things go wrong on my coach, nothing that I would consider extreme or just poor quality. I have also had my truck in the shop for warranty work, but I would still buy another Duramax in a heart beat. I guess the thing that helps the most is a great dealership, and boy do I have that. I have spent the last 2 days at the rv show talking with folks about the Montana. Have passed on to my sales guy 4 customers who have intent to order a new Montana. I really enjoyed sitting in a coach and listening to peoples first reaction when they walk in, I feel comfortable with suggesting Montana as a product.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:06 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Montana Sky..you are correct..these things are made by man and man makes mistakes.Now this is going to hurt but think about it . Quality in the automotive industry is far better than quality in the Rv industry.In fact quality in Most industries is better than the RV industry..What is the difference..The other things are NOT made by man but automated, robotics. Take the man out of the equation and quality goes up, cost go down, reliability and efficiency improve. Put a human person on a asssembly line with quotas and so many units per hour/day and quality suffers..that is why we see fewer and fewer humans on assembly lines and fewer and fewer jobs and all the problems that go with that.....Sad..but true...
Old 01-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #31
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
Valid point!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #32
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Rich is right on the money when he says that these units are recreational units and if you live in them full time you have to do a little more maintenance than the 30 days a year guy.

My Mom and Dad lived in a Jayco Eagle for an entire year while he built his last house. He was 65 and when my Dad builds a house, he does it all and I helped a bit. We did the foundations, the framing, the plumbing, the electrical, and the heating system. I also did all the brickwork and the fireplaces as I am a certified Bricklayer as well as a Millwright.

Well the Jayco Eagle 15 years ago was about as cheap an RV as you can get and with my Dad fixing a few items and improving a few things after a year that 1990 Jayco 5th wheel looked just like new inside and they even hauled it on some long trips after that. Dad is still going strong at 79 but he stopped pulling trailers about 5 years ago he owns a Park model in Yuma. He still drives the 1400 odd miles to get there.

I would even go so far as to say that the happiest full timers are the ones that enjoy fixing the minor things that go wrong with a home, even the ones without wheels. Don
Old 01-21-2006, 11:57 AM   #33
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don, you have a good thought about fixing the minor things. If you consider that most peopl have owned a stick house and had to do minor (somtimes major) repairs and upkeep, then all of a sudden you take that away from them. So tinkering around with the RV fulfills a need.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:28 PM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree - anytime you put a little bit of yourself into something, you have a special relationship (pride) with that unit.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:57 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you read all the post on this forum carefully you will note that in general folks who use the RV more have more problems with them and I see that as perfectly normal, again "Recreational vehicle" not really designed for full time living and towing. As Wrench traveller observes with a little extra work and care you CAN adapt them to longer time use and IMHO you start out with a better unit to do the self improvement on.We have a good list of things that we will do to upgrade to long time use..One example is..We are going to atempt to have hard wood flooring in place of Carpet in the hi wear areas and where the slides retract to prevent some of the "carpet issues" we have observed on the forum.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:38 AM   #36
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I agree that carpeting in a 5th wheel is very impractical because of pine needles and all the other stuff we track in . I will probably get rid of the fixed carpeting and put down throw rugs or carpet runners that are cheap and easy to clean.

Years ago we were at the DisneyLand campgound with our slide in Camper. We had our beautiful Jake the Doberman , long gone to where ever noble creatures go when they pass on and Daisy, our little female Tabby who is 11 and still doing great. I don't know what I was thinking and I let poor Jake drink water from the tap. Since then our animals all get bottled water when we are on the road. If your Bird drinks, keep this in mind.

Anyway, when we got back to the camper, Jake had crapped all over the floor and was so embarassed , sitting on the only part of the carpet runner that was clean. It stunk so bad in there, Daisy had crawled under the bed covers and was staying put.

Thank God for the carpet runner. I rolled it up, tossed it into the dumpster, aired out the unit, Daisy came out, Jake cheered up, and we were all happy campers again. Don.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:22 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have always carried a supply of bottled water and fill our tanks with "water from home " when we are out..Learned that the hard way,as you did, long ago
Old 01-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #38
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We always use bottled water on the road unless we are hooked up for a while and use the filter. I have the same problem your puppy did with strange water. Since the Monty is also our haven in case of earthquake we keep a couple of cases of bottled water in the floor of the closet all the time.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:27 AM   #39
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Rich , that Bird has a mean gleam in his eye and that bill of his looks like it could cut off a thumb in one chomp. I hope you have a " Beware of Bird " sign in your house.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

Rich , that Bird has a mean gleam in his eye and that bill of his looks like it could cut off a thumb in one chomp. I hope you have a " Beware of Bird " sign in your house.
I am the only people person that the bird does not like...well, include my #2 son who bears resemblance to me and the bird bit through his lip a while back..stupid bird could not tell the difference.. I took that picture and it was looking for a chance to attack...