Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Thoughts on Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada

The wife and I are fulltimimg in our late 30's. We are currently near Houston, but expect a change in the next 12 months or so. Cheryl is a research biologist. We are considering a permanent move to a city in one of the southwestern states. The one requirement would be that it would have to be near a major research university (think Arizona, Arizona St., Nevada-Reno, New Mexico St., etc.). We've done some reading on several cities, and we've been to a few (Cheryl's been to Las Cruces, NM, and I've been to a few other cities in NM and Ariz, as well as extensive travel in CA and UT).

As this is in the heart of RV Land, I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has any real positive (or negative) insight to any of these areas as a permanent fulltime destination. Utah is great, but I don't think she would fare well (jobs) outside of Provo or Salt Lake (a little too cold in the winter for the Mounty). As well, I'd love to go back to the Bay Area, but not much interested in California otherwise. Thanks a million for any thoughts!!

Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
Pete,

We have spent 2 winters in AZ. One in Apache Junction and the other in Tucson. Tucson is our favorite. Very friendly people. We would not like to spend summer in either city.
We spent one week in Santa Fe. This city looks like it has great possibilities.

Glenn
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:47 AM   #3
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Reno, like Utah, has a real winter.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:41 AM   #4
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
With our children living out west we have spent a great deal of time in Arizona and New Mexico all seasons of the year. Arizona is just too hot for me in the summer months. Our daughter has a ranch out side of Tucson and personally I don't care for all the cactus - never can walk barefoot anywhere and in the summer always have to keep an eye open for the snakes and spiders (not my favorite things). However, our children love it and would never consider living anywhere else.

We also have a son in Albuquerque, New Mexico -- now this is a place where I could live. Just love the city, the high desert and dry weather but not as hot as Tucson. Plus there is lots of green space and they do have a change of seasons with a bit of snow in the winter, but melts within hours. You are within easy driving distance to the mountains and river areas. Great university located downtown, Air Force base nearby and home to Sandia Labs. Our son would never consider returning to Wisconsin with our cold, snowy winters.

If you haven't already done so, contact the local Chamber of Commerce of the cities you are considering for information. Since you have about twelve months to plan your next move you have the gift of time to investigate, visit various areas and make a decision on what works out best for your family. Good luck.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:52 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The Tucson area is nice. If you lived to the east near Benson the elevation is higher and rarely gets over 100 but are still within 30 minutes of Tucson.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:21 PM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Pete,
Our vote is for Prescott AZ, but unfortunately they have smaller schools (Yavapai Community College, Embry Riddle Aeronautical Univ., Prescott College). It has a very mild 4-season climate. This last weekend was up to the mid-90's during the day, down to 59 at night. Winters see a little snow, but it usually melts within the day. It has good medical facilities and a nice mix of all the bigger stores (Walmart, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc) and lots of smaller stores as well, and a good mall.

We like it so much we are moving there in less than 2 years to retire. It has a great RV park, Point of Rocks RV, that is in the most beautiful setting of granite rocks that you could imagine. Even if you can't live there, it's a great place to go, only a couple of hours from Phoenix.

Good luck whatever you decide, I envy you the opportunity to full-time at your age.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:20 AM   #7
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
We live about 30 miles or so north of Tucson. We are at 4500ft elevation, so we don't get quite as hot as hot as Tucson. My sister lives in Silver City NM and it is really nice there, the winters arn't bad and the summers are nice. Good luck in finding what you are looking for. Jack,,
Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:56 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Tucson, Arz area would be our Choice and would meet your needs. Spent several months there on a Government project several years ago and we have been back many times, latest in 2003. It has really grown but is still very nice.Super hot in the summer time but there is always a trade off. Here in Northern Ohio it is super hot and super humid. Personal opinion I would take the super hot of Arz and good A/C over the hot AND humid of Northern, Ohio. Best thing to do is trip to the various places and check them out. Also spent some time in New Mexico and Nevada. We could live in any of those places////
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:16 PM   #9
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We've lived in bot Phoenix and Albuquerque. ( 27 years in Phoenix, 8 years in ABQ, as well as Charlottesville VA and Minnepolis MN) Even though we now homebase in Phoenix, I would vote for Albuquerque. It is smaller. cooler, and definitely slower paced. Winters are cool and frequently drop below freezing at night and it is a little windy in the spring. It has a four culture environment and is truely a land of enchantment. If I had to pick a place to park year round, it would be my choice. But, be advised that the Phoenix economy is "wealthier" than Albuquerque. Not an advantage in my view but maybe important in career building.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote