Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
triplewhipp
Established Member

M.O.C. #5467
Full-timing seminar

I read someplace that they have a seminar for people getting ready to full-time in their RV's. Has anyone attended one of these seminars and was it worth going to? Can someone remind me of the name of the group that puts on the seminar?
Thanks, Kathy

triplewhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
At RV shows Vicki and her husband (Ican't think of his name) are a couple that travel in a motorhome. They have a column in the Good Sam magazine. They give seminars on full timing and other topic. They are very good.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
triplewhipp
Established Member

M.O.C. #5467
I saw an ad once that you could go to Tennessee (there were a couple other states) for a full weekend of instructional seminars with topics from where to call your home state for driver's licensing purposes all the way to how to set up mail service, health care options, income tax advise, etc.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Went to such a seminar at the FCRV Campvention last year...very interesting..lots of real full timers that shared experiences.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Not just for full-timers, but the best seminar I've ever attended is RV Life on Wheels (http://www.lifeonwheels.com/). In fact, it's so good, I've attended 3 times and am already pre-registered for next March in Tucson.

The seminar is given in 5 locations. The most comprehensive (5 days) is in Moscow, Idaho at the University of Idaho starting July 9. The others are just 3 days but still have top-notch professional presenters and the sessions are chock-full of great info.

I have no affiliation nor do I get anything for promoting this seminar. I just think it's the best in the industry!
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
You can order a DVD on the Life On Wheels presentation for a condensed version of what they teach - worth the admission in and of itself we thought. Also, there are several books by Joe and Vicki Kieva, as well as others, on the subject, all give something for the beginning Full Timer/Extended Timer (like us). You can find them on the Internet under Good Sam Club, Highways Magazine, Trailer Life, and probably other ways as well.

Good Luck

Chaser
Mike & Evy Orlob
Retired,Rv'ers, Race Fans
A new 3400,almost new Dodge P/UP
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
And I don't get anything for promoting the above either, (he he), but I read everything I can find....

Chaser
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:09 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Their site says nothing about cost.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:29 AM   #9
Bob and Sheri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #347
I saw a price of $199 for the one in PA. Sounds very interesting!
Bob and Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:13 AM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Life on Wheels is by far the best in the industry. Moscow is the most expensive being the longest. Well worth every penny.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #11
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Good organization for fulltimer wantabees is the Escapees. They have seminars twice a year (they call them Escapades) in CA in the spring and in the mid-west in the fall. They also have a web site where anyone can go. www.escapees.com
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The Montana Owners Club has a wealth of information in the form of it's membership. Right now there is a thread "How many Full Timers do we have???". This thread has over 30 Full Timers listed. Some are just getting started and some have been at it for many many years.

I guess what I am trying to get at is why spend good money getting information from someone who has no more experience than the very members we call "family"? I for one, and I know I can speak for the majority of the MOC full timers, that we are always willing to assist anyone looking at the full time lifestyle. You can ask your questions right here, thru our PMs or emails or at any of the rallys.

Just my 2 cents which, by the way, is more than I'll charge for picking my brain about full timing.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #13
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
" guess what I am trying to get at is why spend good money getting information from someone who has no more experience than the very members we call "family"?

Amen I believ3e you can get more "real" info right here and the other forums than any class. But thats just my opinion.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I certainly agree that the MOC is a rich resource of valuable information. My own experience tells me that sometimes I don't know the questions to ask. Sometimes the question I want to ask comes as a result of some negative experience where I am trying to recover. The value I see in some kind of seminar is that they may just answer the question I didn't know to ask and thereby allow me to avoid an unforeseen problem. I really like avoiding issues rather than having to correct them.

That is one reason I regularly visit the forum. I particulerly look for information that would fit into the preventive "aha" catagory. One of the positive things I see in the "Escapades" promoted by Escapees, is their offering seminars on a wide variety of subjects. I have also noticed that much of the information shared here is gathered from outside sources.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #15
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Steve is not much for the professional seminars. I read every book and searched on the internet and found all I need to know to get started. I felt like that was OK and we made no major mistakes. I like seminars especially for the feeling you get like everyone is in the same boat. If I ever solo like Gypsy, I am hitting those seminars first thing!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mobilrvn

Good organization for fulltimer wantabees is the Escapees. They have seminars twice a year (they call them Escapades) in CA in the spring and in the mid-west in the fall. They also have a web site where anyone can go. www.escapees.com
And, the seminars are FREE! But you do have to pay an entry fee to get into the Escapade. You can go as a walk-in each day or register on line and get a parking place for the week. Just check that wesite!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #17
triplewhipp
Established Member

M.O.C. #5467
Thanks for all the info. I guess I have questions like when we sell our house we will be citizens of no state and need to have a permanent address. Some states have cheaper licensing fees, different sales taxes, and insurances are different. Even though we are a couple of years away from full-timing it seems we are always thinking about it. Thanks all of you for your greatly appreciated help. Kathy
Old 07-05-2006, 01:25 PM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Kathy, keep asking questions and read the archives and use the search engine here at MOC. We have chatted about a lot of this already, but if you don't find a subject, ASK! Nuff full timers around here to give you some great insight, that's for sure! Texas, Florida and South Dakota are some of the favorites for "permanent" addresses. Some people just use one of thier kids addresses as their permanent address. Number of good ways to handle it, you just gotta find the one that suits you and your lifestyle and your comfort zone.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #19
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
April and I are going to our first Life on Wheels conference in Bethlehem, PA on August 4 through 6, 2006. We are looking for the "aha" experience that Stiles mentioned since we are gonna-be's.

I'm sure that most of what we hear will be confirmation of what we have learned on MOC, but we also get to "meet the experts" and tour some 5ers (the same experience we will get at the Goshen rally!)

I'll post the experience results here after the conference.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote