Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2006, 06:20 PM   #21
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave
I have never seen a free laundromat at a campground. We were living in our RV when we bought our combo. I figured a load a day (which is overstated but then once a week you will have sheets, etc.). At the CG we were in it was $1.25 to wash (they weren't always clean, had to wait) and a $1.00 to dry (they weren't always dry). So figure it out - in a year you have paid for your washer/dryer. That is how we justified it. We talked to other RVers who had them and some who had had them for several years so they don't wear out in a year. BTW we have never been asked if we have a washer/dryer, 2AC yes, electric heater yes, washer/dryer never. We've been RVing for about 15 years and stayed in lots and lots of RV parks because we were traveling with work and sometimes we would move every week.
Happy trails...........................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #22
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We use and like our Splendide 2100 with an outside vent. Be aware though that not all combo units are the same. We (Donna actually - she won't let me near it!) do frequent small loads at times convenient to us, most often first thing in the morning, that way the wash gets done while we are getting breakfast and otherwise getting ready to face the day. As others have said, it is really a lifestyle choice.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:02 AM   #23
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We second everything OntMont says. I do love our Splendite 2100 but I do save certain things to bring to the laundry marts to avoid ironing of the things that wrinkle too much.
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:45 AM   #24
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mcarth

My husband & I will be purchasing a Montana in the near future and I was wondering how durable the washer/dryer combo is or would it be smarter to have that space for storage as we will be full timers. We are in the looking stage right now as we don't retire until 2007. Any comments?
Thanks
I would not want to be without my Splendite w/d combination. I don't go to a laundrymat at home, so really appreciate having the splendite. When it is warm out, I hang out my husbands shirts and stuff I don't want to iron. We have a dryer rack which I put in the screen room and that way it hides it from other people. If it rains I dry them in the splendite dryer. You can set the splendite to wash only or dry only.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:11 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have been in a few parks where the rules say you cannot use an onboard washer. That's the exception rather than the rule. Parks that cater to fulltimers and/or people there for more than a week or so tend to not have these rules.

Also, we used to ask if it is ok to use a washer when we did not see anything in the rules. We have learned not to ask. Sometimes they say no even though it's not in the rules. Now we just read the rules. If it does not say it is prohibited then we assume it is ok. It's really not been a problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:05 PM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Dave
I have never seen a free laundromat at a campground. We were living in our RV when we bought our combo. I figured a load a day (which is overstated but then once a week you will have sheets, etc.). At the CG we were in it was $1.25 to wash (they weren't always clean, had to wait) and a $1.00 to dry (they weren't always dry). So figure it out - in a year you have paid for your washer/dryer. That is how we justified it. We talked to other RVers who had them and some who had had them for several years so they don't wear out in a year. BTW we have never been asked if we have a washer/dryer, 2AC yes, electric heater yes, washer/dryer never. We've been RVing for about 15 years and stayed in lots and lots of RV parks because we were traveling with work and sometimes we would move every week.
Happy trails...........................
Thanks for the input, Sue. I tend to follow your reasoning on that. We are leaning toward a stackable set... maybe a Kenmore? Heard good things about them.

Sounds like Steve R has run into the "No washer use on board" rule in several CGs. I'll just follow Steve's advice on the "Don't ask, don't tell" approach.

Just chock and stabilize your rig real well. If it starts rocking and shaking on the spin cycle, you may have to come up with another excuse...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:27 AM   #27
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
What brand of stackable unit are we talking about? It would need to be a 120 volt unit. Does Kenmore make such a unit?
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:34 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been asked several times about on board W/D and several CG have listed NO washer are allowed to be used. Now a lot of CG's are out in rual areas and rely on wells for water and the pumps can't keep up with the demand,, That is changing as campgrounds upgrade and the older ones go out of business. We will be W/d prepared and MAY get one later on..But I would dispute that a 800.00 1000.00 W/d will pay for it self in one year. If you spent 4.00 a wash/dry at a CG Laundromat at 1000.00 for the W/D that would be 250 loads of wash. Anyhow to me it would not be a cost issue but a convenience issue.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:02 AM   #29
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Rich
I figured this at a load per day. So it was 365 loads and ours was $800.
Happy trails............................
Old 01-31-2006, 06:13 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would guess that with the smaller capacity you would have to do a load every day because a load is not very much in the Rv washers..however when on the road it is better than nothing.We noted that when out for a long time we usually have a wash event about once a week But that is in a Laundromat 1 load colors, 1 load whites and dry. I stopped at the local laundromat on my way home this AM for a price check and noted that a wash is now 2.00 a load and the dry is 1.50.Increased energy cost I guess.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #31
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
In September and October of 2005, we traveled from Georgia to Maine and back with our on board W/D. We only experienced one campground that forbade their use. My wife appreciates having them on board. We usually do laundry on rainy or cold days when trekking to the laundry room would be inconvienient. Don't think I can talk her into giving them up now.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:39 AM   #32
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Rich
I think you are underestimating the amount that can be washed in the RV washers. I don't have my Splendide manual handy but it contained information on a normal load. Maybe you can get some info on the internet about the load size.
Happy trails...................
Old 02-04-2006, 06:22 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is true we have no personal experience with a RV Washer but have many RV friends in our Local Group that have them and and they say that the Rv washer will hold about 1/2 the load of a home washer/We are not knocking the RV W/D chances are we will wind up with one down the road.Hanging around in a laundomat is not one of my favorite past times. Would rather hang around in the RV even if it takes twice as long.