Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
worleyjrtx5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14165
Condensation Leak from Front Air Conditioner

Getting the rig ready for the 4th weekend and started up both AC's, working just fine.

The front AC is a Coleman Mach add on by the dealer. No thermostat control, just the knobs on the unit. It cools the front bedroom really well, albeit noisy.

As it is 98 Degrees today with 80 percent humidity, I have condensation water leaking out of both air intake filters onto the bed.

I removed the units' cover and checked the two drain holes, all good. I even added a couple more to ensure they would drain effectively.

Started it back up, 30 minutes later I have water running on the bed. Adjusted the level of the rig, putting the level in one notch more nose down position, so far no help.

Any ideas??

worleyjrtx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Had the same thing happen during the PDI on a factory unit plus it was leaking down the vents. Dealer had to reseat the thing I believe. Sadly I don't recall what exactly they did since I didn't pay for it. The tech said it was an easy fix but, I made them take the panels down (enough to see in) to inspect the insides. I didn't want to end up with mold and yuck in there, none found. Almost made me pull the trigger on SOB.

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
The units are held to the roof with long bolts accessible from inside the unit on the old style installations. Seal is via a gasket. If the bolts are loose, water gets through. Normally snugging them up takes care of the problem. I have found they come loose over time, and check once a year. With the new "quiet zone" system, don't know the process.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:38 AM   #4
worleyjrtx5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14165
1Retired thanks, I will check the bolts. Have looked at it from the top and bottom, inside and out. Can't see anything unusual, but did not check for loose bolts.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:55 AM   #5
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Just don't over tighten the bolts. Also, if you don't run it on max, it will cycle as the fan runs continually. It will keep it from iceing over which it will in those humidity conditions.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:50 AM   #6
worleyjrtx5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14165
NoStick, quick look this morning, the unit is tight. I need to remove the lower plastic panel to get to the bolts, which I can see. Then I will check the bolts. From where the condensate is coming out of the unit, It really appears to be the front to bolts.

Running the unit on low will work only part of the day. Can't keep the rig cool after about noon when it is parked in full sun this time of year.

Are there gaskets on the bolts up on the top unit?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:28 AM   #7
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
As to the bolt gaskets, Not on my Dometic Penguin. I didn't mean run the unit on low. I mean high fan but with the cooling knob backed off a little from max, say a quarter turn. It will allow the unit to cycle periodically. This was the solution to my water dripping on the bed problem such as yours.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 AM   #8
worleyjrtx5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14165
Nosticks, Here is what I found. The bolts were not loose, but on the driver's side, they could be tightened several turns which I did.

Left the cover off and ran it on high and the problem is this. The condensation is coming from inside the blower shaft. Once it gets cold enough, the condensate is forming on the styrofoam walls and running down.

Not sure how to fight that unless I do as you say, run the fan on high with less than max cool. With the humidity as high as it is here and where we planned to go this weekend(Arkansas), I see no way to run the unit cold enough to cool the rig without getting the condensate.

Appears no water is running down the bolts or from anywhere else but GALLONs are being formed on the blower walls and pushed out by the air stream.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I've found that running the fan on high instead of auto keeps it dried out well.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Air rapidly circulating thru will keep the condensate from becoming drops and will also keep you from freezing the unit up. I was wondering if you didn't have a partially frozen coil and that was really where the water was showing up from.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
It could be the freeze sensor. I don't know what the real name is. But, moving it up in the coils solved our problems.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:46 AM   #12
worleyjrtx5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14165
The sensor is in the return air flow. Moving it up closer to the coil could possibly help.

What I did do, as suggested, I toyed with the cool control with the blower on high. Starting at half cool, it dried out the condensation and stopped the leakage.

I then kept bumping up the cool control to about 3/4. It cools the bedroom fine and aids in cooling the whole rig. At that setting, it still allows for the compressor to cycle off long enough to dry out the cool air outlet shaft. No more condensation leakage.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Walla! Problem solved. Happy it worked out for you.