Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
rvgwen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12147
television antenna

Boy this rv stuff is complicated. We are now looking into how the television reception is done. Portable antenna, tri pod, or one that is permenant on the top of the fifth wheel like the motor homes do? Thanks again for your help.

rvgwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Are you talking about Air or Satellite? If talking about satellite, you need a contract from a provider, a satellite receiver from that provider, and a satellite system that can be either portable or hardmounted to the RV and the not complicated process for aligning that antenna. If free airwaves, your unit will have a antenna system with a booster that comes with the unit. If cable, your unit again is likely setup for that as well for hookup from a provider (campground).
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
rvgwen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12147
we have direct tv and understand how that part of the system works. We are wondering about the antenna system used. For example there is the Wineguard travler, the cube, or the dish on the tri pod system to mention a few. We are interested in what most people use. Thanks
Old 04-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Again, depends on exactly what you have at the S&B and what you want in the Montana. We've had DirecTV since the early days when it cost you 1000 bucks to buy your system. We upgraded to HD a couple of years ago, so when it came time to equip the Monty we went with the Winegard Trav'ler SK-3005 mounted on the roof. Granted you have to have a site with a clear view in the direction of the satellites, but once you do, unhook, level the Monty, apply power, push the button on the Trav'ler control head and in a few minutes you have all you favorites in HD, except your home network channels as they are spot beamed and once you move outside the beam area you loose them. If you're Full Time you can sign up to get the Distant Network channels, either NY or LA depending on what you use as a home address.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I use the Wineguard Carryout. It works very good. Take it out hook it up, weight about 5 minutes, watch TV. It is just that easy. I have Dish but it is also setup for Direct TV. I don't think the cube will work with Direct TV. I think it is a product of Dish. A dish on a tripod is not as expensive but you haft to find the satellites manually.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Understood. We use the simple tripod system, very portable, and have found it easy to use. Cheapest solution of all of them.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

Understood. We use the simple tripod system, very portable, and have found it easy to use. Cheapest solution of all of them.
Not exactly. We don't have TV at all unless in comes in on the antenna or the park we're in charges for cable whether you want it or not. Normally internet is all we have. No TV is the cheapest TV option, but not for everyone. Haven't had TV in the s&b since 1998.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
WHAT? You mean that you are not up on the latest episode of "As The World Turns"? Or "All My Children"?
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Go on Ebay or Amazon and buy an antenna and a receiver. We got a dish with a tripod from a neighbor. You can also find them in yardsales for just a couple of bucks. Now if you want to spend some money you can get a cube which is easier to pack away and is one piece. Now the receiver you need to buy new. You don't want to buy a used one that could be a leased unit. If it was a leased receiver they will want it back and won't activate it. We got a Dual, DVR receiver off Amazon for $120. For a couple of bucks more you can get HD. We didn't feel HD was necessary or would make that big a difference in the rig on a smaller TV. We then called Dish and had them setup and activate our account. It's up to you but in my opinion do not call that Dishformyrv. With them you can only use one type of receiver and I think you must get theirs and it is a single so you would need 2 of them for 2 TV's. I just called Dish and told them I have an RV and wanted to activate my receiver. Make sure the operator that answers transfers you to the RV division who can do an account where you can turn it on and off. I do not have Dish in my house. So now I can activate and disconnect my satellite when I want. They have a RV tech support department to help with any problems you have. So far I have had no problems with Dish and have satellite on both TV's, DVR, which I have used, and is easy to set up. If you are homeless you will probably want it full time because you won't be turning it on and off.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #10
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Although pricey, we're very happy with the roof mounted Winnegard SK-3005 HD antenna with service thru Direct TV. Had a dish w/tripod for years - this is light years ahead of having to set-up and find satellites, and if not obstructed by trees the reception and ease of use has been outstanding. In last year, only one occasion where trees blocked the signal.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #11
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
We have Directv at home and went with them on our Montana. We opted for the automatic Trav'ler dish permanently mounted on the roof with 2 receivers - one a DVR. Works great as long as the trees aren't an issue.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #12
rvgwen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12147
Did your Montana come pre wired for the wineguard travler? Do you know how much it cost to install the travler antenna?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Nope, no pre-installed cables. That's where it gets interesting and all depends on your model. We have the 2955 so the dish is mounted mid-ship on the roof and they ran the cables into the cupboard directly above our Telly, left 2 cables there for the DVR and ran the third cable into the area under the bedroom steps and thru the rear bulkhead of the basement. From there I back feed up thru the basement cable into the front closet and on to the rcvr mounted above the bedroom Telly. Works for us. Cost was the price of the Dish, Heavy Duty Mounting Plate (highly reccommended to prevent the dish roller from contacting the roof) and a couple of hours labor. Sorry had the second AC added at the same time so I don't have an exact break down of the cost, plus that was a couple of years ago.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #14
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Rvgwen...we have been making the same decisions on our new 3582. Our first decision to make was if HD was a neccessity for us or if we could live without it. We have Directv in the house now and (for us) HD is well worth the cost. If you decide you want HD you then have to decide which of the two, Dish or Directv works best for your needs. Each has its good and bad. Since we can use our current DVR and keep our plan we chose Direct TV. If you choose HD and Directv your only have one choice, a Winegard Traveler. No other antenna will get you HD with Directv. This is a big antenna that goes on top of your RV that "automatically" lifts and locks on the signal. Very easy. Cost of unit and install "about" $2500. That is only for the antenna and install, not the DVR unit, which BTW your Montana is already set up for.

You can use Dish and a portable unit, might be the best (and less expensive) way if your starting without any provider or equipment. Dish has a plan that allows you to turn the service on and off that is attractive to those who are not full time. YOu can also get some HD programming with the portable unit.

And then there is the issue of trees above your unit and the possibility of not getting the signal through them.

Decide what's important to you and go from there. Yes.. it can be overwhelming when first looked at, but it does get easier the more you look into it.

DNS can also take some time to come up to speed on, but again just take some time and do some reading. Lots of recent changes in what each provider offers for DNS (distance networking services) so it's important to get at least a basic understanding of what the service does and does not do. Important because you have some choices to make with the service provider at the beginning of the service.

Good luck. Keep asking questions. There are alot of very kind Folks here willing to share what they know and think (opinions).

Good luck!
troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #15
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
I had my dealer install the dish, and run HDMI cables to main room TV, bedroom TV, and outside TV in storage compartment. I did alot of pricing on the web, and then various RV dealers, camping world, and repair facilities withhin 100 miles, and then bargained with my purchasing dealer to get the price down on the antenna and install costs. I was able to get the price significanly reduced bring the entire purchase and install to $1900. That was in May last year. Mine is on the roof towards the front of the trailer, and as I said in earlier post, I have had only one occasion where trees interfered with signal. Most parks now can tell you which sites are "satellite" friendly. You also need to make sure you know how to go back to RV park cable and/or regular outside TV antenna. I have to throw two switches to go back to "factory" condition.