Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
therollingstones
Established Member

M.O.C. #11347
12 cu. ft fridge

what number do ya'll keep your refrigerator on? I have to keep it on #9 for it to stay 40 degrees and a little below. also I have heard you should keep these refrigerators on at all times (some full timers told me this). we have never kept a fridge on all the time because we only use it once a month. just wanting opinions

Posting moved to a more appropriate category = CRAFT-Guy

therollingstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We usually have ours set on 7 or 8...except when we are just turning it on for a trip/use, and then we set in on 9 to get the unit as cool as we can. If we keep it on 9, we have soda cans freezing/exploding and other food items freezing. We only have our refer on when using our Montana...since we do not have elec when we store, don't know how, or why, we would be able to keep it on.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
If you were a full timer you would leave it on, don`t know what else you could do.
If in storage and you have no electic power to keep the batteries charged up you would not be
able to keep it on. Can`t see why you would want to.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I checked my 4 door frig. It's brand new. The door seals are bad, I checked mine with a piece of paper and it pulled out of the seal with no problem. The other thing , at least on mine, the latches are not right. If one door is shut, then the other door, the latch on this door pops the latch open enough to loosen the door seal on the closed door. I can hear the latch click and the door move open a little. Both of the little hatched go into the same hole.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We don't keep our fridge on when it's being stored (on our driveway) even though we do keep the rig plugged into 110v for other reasons. We also keep the freezer and fridge doors propped open and put a box of baking soda in it so no odors form. We also make sure the inside is as clean as we can get it!

When we are getting ready for a trip we remove the gadget and turn it on to get it started with cooling about a day prior to leaving. Then enroute, we'll convert to 12v/propane to keep it cold. When we get to the site, we'll set up, then do he shopping since that's the best time not carrying all the weight and then we also know what we are in the mood for. After the shopping the fridge is nice and cold for the cold and freezer goods.

The bottom line is we've been doing this for the past 6 years with no problems. But I'd be willing to consider why that person said that the unit must be on all the time. I've never heard that was a requirement for a fridge.

If you decide to leave your fridge on when you travel, so turn it off so no ignition occur when you arrive at a fuel stop or prior to entering a bridge.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
therollingstones
Established Member

M.O.C. #11347
the reason for leaving the fridge on all the time was to keep the ammonia ? flowing or something like that. i have heard this from 2 reputable old time campers. we have never left ours on all the time and it is fine. and I know how cold my fridge is at all times because I'm somewhat of a freak and have a thermometer in there! haha thank you for the replies, ya'll give me piece of mind.
therollingstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I think it all depends on where you are. When we were in the Midwest this past summer with the high heat and high humidity we left it on 8 or 9 just to keep it cool enough. Right now we are on the California coast (eating Abalone) and it is only set on four. Life is great.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
The 3 year old Montana I bought used had just had its ammonia leak from its just over 3 year old Dometic Fridge. The original owner only used it occasionally...Otherwise it was in mint condition. Even the AC still works 4 years later...
It was a good excuse to replace the Dometic Junk with a Whirlpool conventional Apt Size Fridge. Lighter, Bigger inside, gets as cold as you want quickly and is Frost-Free.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote