Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Nipped another problem in the bud.

I am glad I read thru all the different posts before we got our trailer home. I remember reading that the pots and pan drawer under the frig on a 3000rk is prone to falling apart. Well tonite while putting in the cushioned shelf paper I looked at the drawer and yep the staples were coming out and it would not be long till it fell apart. I screwed it back together and it is more solid now and I hope it holds together now. Thanks MOC forum

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good catch. I have had to do a number of those kind of drawer repairs. The same is true if you have the storage type dining chairs. I have put screws in all mine.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Well I guess we'll take a look at the chairs tomorrow lol....
Old 02-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Also, you might also save yourself some headache by adding some extra screws to the back of the dresser drawer assembly so your drawers don't fall down, mine only had one screw in the back wall holding 4 drawers per side. You'll have to remove a drawer from its slide to see how they are held up.

The screws holding the clothing rods in the main clothes closet aren't long enough, (so that all of your hanging clothes don't hit the floor)... you should probably check for stripped screws on the cabinet doors too, most of mine have been repaired with toothpicks and glue. The screws on the exterior trim have a tendency to work their way loose too; they were originally drilled with a drill bit diameter that was to large.

..oh yeah, and you'll need a special screw driver..a number 2 square head, you can find them at any hardware store in Canada.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Yeah I did the cabinet door hinges before we even left the lot waiting for the dealer to take care of a couple of things. Found the hinges loose on the PDI and already had wooden matchs on board lol. Thanks for the warning on the dresser though, I'll check it tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our Closet rod bent in the middle and tore off the wall. Cheap hollow rod.Most of our cabinet screws have the toothpick treatment. Only one drawer fell off.

Oh the bed came off the wheels and one wheel was never installed,The indicator gage fell out of the wall as of 4 screws only one was attached to the wall..Hole was to big. Fender screws worked loose and we nearly lost a fender. That's rv'ing
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
That reminds me, I do got to look at the fenders as one was really flapping in the wind. I think is's because there is no center brace and being cheap plastic it flaps bad. If it continues to flap like that the end result cannot be good. Gotta find a way to stiffen them.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #8
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Inside there must be a limit on the number of screws that can be used--including the oversized holes. Now on the roof--I replaced my kitchen vent cover a year ago. The cover had 15 holes--I had to remove 30 screws--it was put on to STAY! As my wife says--If you can't handle a screw driver and pliers--don't get into RVing. We still enjoy our Monty after 6 years--
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Our Closet rod bent in the middle and tore off the wall. Cheap hollow rod.Most of our cabinet screws have the toothpick treatment. Only one drawer fell off.

Oh the bed came off the wheels and one wheel was never installed,The indicator gage fell out of the wall as of 4 screws only one was attached to the wall..Hole was to big. Fender screws worked loose and we nearly lost a fender. That's rv'ing
Sorry i must disagree on That's rv'ing. It's poor workmanship and cheap materials. I believe the motto is just get it out the door and it's somebody else's problem. I'm finding out many of the dealers have a hard time getting satisfaction from Keystone. I have been dealing with Keystone and dealers almost on a daily basis since we bought our 2012. It is amazing the hoops that have to be jumped through to get anything done. The rv industry has us right were they want us, heck we even call a lot the the fixes Mods.

just my .02 and opinion.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Sorry i must disagree on That's rv'ing. It's poor workmanship and cheap materials. I believe the motto is just get it out the door and it's somebody else's problem. I'm finding out many of the dealers have a hard time getting satisfaction from Keystone. I have been dealing with Keystone and dealers almost on a daily basis since we bought our 2012. It is amazing the hoops that have to be jumped through to get anything done. The rv industry has us right were they want us, heck we even call a lot the the fixes Mods.

just my .02 and opinion.

kevin

Kevin, I like and agree with your opinion. I see someone got my point from my post above. Seems like they have been building them like this since I bought mine (2005), nothing much changes, except I won't be fooled into buying another one even though some think they're the best for their money. I'm a lot wiser now.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The comment was sarcastic at best..Quality and workmanship in all brands is to be ashamed of. IMO there is no better in a comparable brand.They are all built the same and you will have the same issues. Buy another brand..have the same problems.

We have always had excellent service from the dealers that have worked on this 3400 and more than excellent service from the service center, The only reason we would purchase another Montana is because of the service and dealer.

Most dealers do not like warranty work because it does not pay as well and many of the dealer/keystone issues are because the dealer does not wnat to do the work.Offer to pay the dealer yourself and see how fast it gets done and how fast they get the parts.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On the fenders, we had the same problem mentioned here, losing screws. I tried various backing materials where I could access the backside but nothing worked until I backed the screws out a few turns, shot some clear adhesive/sealant on the hole where the screwhead would touch, then tightened the screws. That was around a year ago and they've not budged since.

We still have the problem with the fenders flapping in the wind, though. The stiffener rod tends to come loose. I may have to do the same adhesive/sealant to it, on both ends of the rod, to see if that will hold it in place.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I have to agree. I looked at Montana as one of the upper end rigs. Since we got our I have spent the past week fixing and tightening things. I have never seen a rig with sooooo many loose screws and it has not been on the road really as of yet. But there are little things too like no light switch right inside the door where there should be one. Not to mention the lousey graphics. But hey I can fix it lol at least thats what I tell my wife and my kids will tell you Dad can fix anything. I still like the Montana cause there are other things they did right like I love the layout and it seems they did use a little sturdier paneling and wood. Other then that not sure why but I do like it so I will continue to tighten screws and reinforce. Actually I am bout done with getting her in to shape and ready to roll. Just got to get new tires on and get rid of the Marathons. It just gets a little frustrating but I'll keep asking questions and I'll see ya down the road lol....
Old 02-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Yall, now you know where I,m from, sure make me glad I have a Montana. Seriously they all are made as cheap as they can be made to look good. That includes design, materials and labor.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
I read richfaa post a few months ago and tightened the fender skirt screws that had worked loose. When the gray tank filled up the first time the ABS shower drain pipe connecting joint under the steps was not glued correctly and leaked, material cost to correct was near $10 plus my labor. Now based on actual sales of all models Montana being number one in units sold for over 10 years there must be many things beubg done correctly. To get the quality that I would like to buy in an RV automatically puts it out of my price range. Just a thought. Garry
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:42 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"I have to agree. I looked at Montana as one of the upper end rigs" ... IMO Montana is not and never was a upper end rig" It is a mid level rig along with the Forest river Cardinal, Jayco and others in that price range.We never considered the Montana as upper level and could not afford a upper lever rig.

We have toured most, if not all of the plants in Indiana and every one looks the same. Same vendors, same workforce, similar construction methods.
The Montana is as good as any mid level brand out there and has similar problems. Check out other brand owners forums.

Chances are we will purchase a 2012 Montana and we do not expect any better than the 06 we have. As we have said many times. We have used this 06 hard and it has served us well but not without problems that we should have never had..Like 5 leaking holding tanks. Extended warranty is a must have or very deep pockets.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #17
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Yes but most consider Montana as a rig you can and alot do full time in. I don't consider it made cheaply as some trailers are. It is made very well for the price they are at. I did not think they would be at the level of a Cameo or Mobile Suites etc. But is at the higher end of the mid range 5ers. The major problem is quality control, if there was any quality control at all it would be a fantastic rig for the price it is at. It is not a problem with the quality of the materials used but with the construction and finish. If it was poor materials then that would be easy to see and I would have never bought one. Been thru way too many trailers with springy floors and weak walls etc. Bout the poorest material I have seen is the clothes rod in the wardrobe lol lol, oh and the shower head and valve. Why they installed beautiful sink facets and then put that ugly white plastic shower facet in is beside me, but it's easy enough to fix, already installed an Oxyinagenics (how ever you spell it lol) shower head. So far it seems to be a solid trailer just needs tweaked and tightened and I'm getting it there.....
Old 02-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is why many of us will say the Montana is the best bang for the buck. You can pay much more and not get any better.If we thought, and we are still thinking, that another brand in the Montana category was a better buy we would have it in a heart beat.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #19
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
I'm with Rich as well.....in the past month we've had two other 5th wheels stay near us and both have commented on how nice our Montana was, and that they wish they had one. After touring both, I know we made the right decision on this one!