Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Converting 12 volt to 2-6 volts Golf Cart System

My batteries were almost dead, so I converted my 2 - 12 volt Parallel Battery System to 2- 6 volt Golf Cart Batteries in Series. I have heard from other RV'ers and a few battery shops, that it is a far better system. The batteries have longer useage cycles, and will hold up better then the 12's. The cost of the batteries (ExCide) was around $300 installed at n/c. No new wiring needed. The holding area for the batteries will work for the conversion. The battery boxes will need to be changed due to the height of the batteries. RV'ers I have talked to about it, say it is the best thing they could have done. Have any other Monty owners considered or done this?? I am always looking for new things and passing on good ideas. Hope this is a good one.

Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Yes, we have done it and are pleased with the results. We plan to go to 6 in total.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have intended to change, but the battery I have keeps working, so I haven't gotten to it yet. I check it and water it regularly It holds the charge. If I were big on boondocking, I probably would have converted by now.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'm in the same position as Stiles. Once this last remaining 12v gets old enough and dies (the other died before its time), it's time for two 6 volts to start but hopefully four. I hadn't thought of six, but we don't often RV off the grid so probably not.

I have never seen anyone want to go back to 12v after converting to 6v. I belong to several forums and they are all about 12v going to 6v. I've not heard complaints or problem with the 6v either. They must be that much easier to care for as well. If one can do it, I believe it's a no-brainer.

What I would like to know is adding batteries. With 12v it is recommended both be at the same age, and adding a new one to an old one is not a good idea. Is this also true with 6v?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I prefer the 12V AGMs, which are closer to the standard batteries in height and don't need to be vented. Somewhat smaller in capacity, but far easier to deal with.
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
I too like AMG, but am thinking about two sixes. If I go with the sixes I will need to vent them both, I will need to get two new battery boxes. The more I thank about I will more than likely I will get two AMG.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
I just added 4 6 volt batteries and a whole coach inverter. I tried it out last weekend in a forest service camp ground, no hookups and it worked very well.

Weldon you can get 6 volt AGM batteries if you really like them.
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
I had 4 x 6 volt battery system on my previous trailer. Absolutely loved it. We boondock way more than hookup. I haven't made the change on this rig. Looks like it will be tight getting 4 batteries in the battery storage space. Art I think the rule regarding mixing old batteries with new batteries does apply to 6 volt units as well.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Wow>>>>>>I am surprised to all the replies the forum members give. We haven't done full boondocking yet. As for 4 - 6 volts, we don't think we are ready for that yet. As for the AMG batteries, I heard the cost of them compared to regular batteries, doesn't warrant the need. Long term cost between to two types, AMG's will cost a lot more. Thank you all for the positive responses.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote