Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
coachandcupcake

M.O.C. #11856
slides

we have a new 3400RL. We stored it in April and when we went by to check it we found the slides out. Batteries we disconnected but i did not turn off the hydraulics. didn't think i had to. We took it to a dealer in Reno and they could not find one thing wrong. Some have mentioned maybe a bad remote control. Nothing wrong could be found. Any ideas.

coachandcupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Since the locks on the unit are really not that secure, meaning that many other keys will fit, someone wanted to see the inside so hooked up the battery and put the slides out.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
pappy65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10842
I would think if battery disconnect switch is in off position that would kill the power to slides so remote could not open them. I will try mine later today. We will be packing for a trip anyway.
pappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:05 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm assuming you mean slides slightly out as in a few inches and not fully extended. If you do a search on this website, you'll find several posts about slides drifting out. Generally it boils down to the pump unit (specifically the check valve in the pump unit), a leaking hydraulic line, or a leaking piston seal in any one of the slide cylinders. If you don't notice any loss of fluid in the hyd tank, that would eliminate any leaking line. Since it's still under warranty have the dealer check the pump unit again. There is a procedure provided via the internet or directly from Lippert for anyones use as to isolating the individual slide cylinders to check for internal piston seal leakage ... your dealer's techs should be aware of this. A bad piston seal will allow the slides to creep out. One last try ... making sure the reservoir is within 1" of being full with the slides all the way in ... cycling the slides in and out full travel 3-4 times will purge any air in the system.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
pappy65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10842
Much to my surprise, the remote will operate the slides with the battery disconect switch in off position.
pappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The slides and landing gear will operate regardless of the battery disconnect switch - they are wired before the switch.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
frosty
Established Member

M.O.C. #568
have the same slide trouble...have new pump,disconected batery,closed valves to slides,nothing has helped as yet... have good web site for you to try.......Lippert components they make the slides and have good information frosty
frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Soooooooo ... inquiring minds want to know. Are we talking about the slides drifting out slightly as in a couple of inches or are we talking about the slides mysteriously fully deploying for no apparent reason?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
frosty
Established Member

M.O.C. #568
slides drifting out a few in... to a foot or more....had to stop while traveling to put them in
frosty is offline   Reply With Quote