Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
Bigrig
Established Member

M.O.C. #21926
Installing Wingard Traveler

Good morning,

New to the forum in fact I should go back and buzz in on new owners.

My questions is simple, we have a 2018, 3811MS, had a Everest for 8 years before making the upgrade. Decided to go full time.

I have always used a Carryout with great success but full timing will be different.

Is there reinforcement backing on the roof for a Wingard Traveler for Dish? This unit is prewired for a third A/C, solar panels, are there connections near for the Traveler?

Bigrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We had a Trav'ler installed on our trailer several months after purchase. There was no additional reinforcement needed for the dish install. From what I remember, if the roof is walkable, it is strong enough for the dish install. It's been up there for well over five years without an issue.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:42 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Winegard has a plate to use under the Traveler that will span two rafters
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
BigRed_3810MS

M.O.C. #20159
I have a 3810MS (similar to the 3811). We've had our 5er for a little of a year. I am looking to to install a satellite dish as well. I climbed up on the roof and didn't see any prep for connecting the satellite dish to the coax that is supposedly prepped for in the coach. My question is to those that have installed on the roof a dish...how did you route the cables? I want a permanent solution that looks clean. I understand that I'm most likely going to have to open up the walls to get rid of the splitters, I'm ok with that. I just can't see how to get the coax cable from the dish on the roof to the convenience center. I'm sure drilling will be required, just not sure where and how. TIA for anyone that can help.
BigRed_3810MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
You can run it down next to the vent pipes for your black and gray tanks that are on the roof and then over to convenience center.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
BigRed_3810MS

M.O.C. #20159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
You can run it down next to the vent pipes for your black and gray tanks that are on the roof and then over to convenience center.
Thank you Bob, I hadn't thought of that. Much easier.
BigRed_3810MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #7
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Installed a Trav'ler on our 3440RL shortly after purchasing in early 2016. Though Wineguard sells a reinforcement plate it is generally only needed on "thin roofs" according to their verbiage. I don't exactly know what that term means however if you can walk on the roof the plate is not needed. Our floor plan has a hollow chase behind the coat closet/electronics cabinet. This allowed for opening a whole directly above on the roof. The Wineguard supplied CE4000 worked well for me.

You can also use a tank vent which you can then exit the cables via a drilled whole usually located behind the basement storage rear wall. This is a common method we will use to run our solar combiner wires from the roof.

Forgot to add that my factory splitter was behind the convenience center. Easy access from the back behind the basement wall.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When I installed my Carreout I put it close to my OTA antenna and used that cable for the Carryout. No extra cable required and works great. If I should need the OTA unhook one and hook the other one up.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #9
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
I installed mine on 3720 went down next to vent, wire went between hallway wall down to convenience center.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:35 AM   #10
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
If I remember correctly the Traveler need RJ6 wire from the traveler to the receiver.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #11
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I have a Pathways X1. My older rig had a "satellite in" connection on the outside next to,the entertainment center. It's just a pass thru to the satellite receiver. I just ran the cable down the side of the rig attached with cable clamps. As I said, it is an older rig and I don't mind the wire. Originally I hard mounted it to the roof and worked great, however 10 to 20% on the time, trees would block the satellites. I had to remove it for maintenance, and I decided to use it as a portable, PITA to set up every night booondocking at Walmart...or wherever. I fabricated detachable mounting plates and installed just forward of the rear ladder. When trees are in the way, I climb the ladder, unscrew 6 wing nuts and the RG6. I also fabricated a docking base with the original rubber feet from the dish, so when necessary I can move the dish anywhere on the roof or anywhere within the site. Had to move the dish last trip. I'm so glad that it was easy to do. I believe that King makes a dish that has a removeable mount.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
When our dish was installed, they ran the dish control cable along with the coax from the dish to above the cabinet in the bedroom where the OTA antenna cable is located, and also the booster switch. There is a special plate that gets caulked that covers the cable entry point, and they used small straps to secure the cable on the roof surface from the dish the the entry location. Everything was caulked with Dicor caulking and has never leaked. You never see the cable from the ground and it makes it easy to work on if there is ever an issue with the cabling. We also have excellent signal from the dish to both the bedroom and living room TV’s where we have separate satellite boxes for each one. The dish control box is in that front closet along with the satellite box.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote