Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Travel Route Salt Lake City to Mt. Rushmore SD

We are tossing around the possibility of traveling to Mt. Rushmore area early fall 2020. Any suggestions for potential travel route. We have done the many ups and downs of many mountain roads pulling the 5er with jeep in tow, so any suggestions would be considered. Also any Best and Nicest time of year to visit that part of this great country.

As always thank you to all who may reply, Keith

09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I would think just take I80 to Rawlings, then 287 and 220 to Casper. Stay over in Casper and visit the National Historic Trails Interpretive center. Very interesting exhibits.
Then either go to Lusk and north on US highways or up to Buffalo and then east to Mt Rushmore. If you want, stop at Devils Tower between Buffalo and Mt Rushmore. Devils Tower is a pretty easy day trip from Rushmore if you stay somewhere on the west side.
Oh, it you stay at the KOA in Rawlings, don't go straight north to get to US 287, as there is a low overpass a 1/2 mile N of the KOA.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Also, if you really want to see the sights go to Yellowstone and then east thru Cody to Buffalo. I hear Yellowstone is much less crowded after Labor Day. (and if you do this, do not take 14 Alt over the Big horns. The Mountainous driving books call this the 'Oh My God' hill. 8 miles of 8% grade and 10 miles of 10% grade.
14 is pretty good (Shell Canyon) with a rest stop/visitor center part way up. Or if you like getting away from it all (boondocking), take US 16 over the mountains and stop at Sitting Bull NF campground (book early). It is at around 8500 elevation, in the forest, with a nice meadow sometimes populated by sheep and herders - no hookups tho.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 11-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Tom, Thanks for all that good info. I was kind of looking at that route, but never to sure on road conditions. I have my steep mountain grades book and will check that out. I will make note of the places you mentioned.
I have taken the " O my goodness " road you mentioned. We drove out the north entrance of Yellowstone through Cooke city and then DOWN the hill. WOW!! Then over to Cody. An incredible journey to say the least.

Again, Thank you for the reply, Keith
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
With my previous truck - 2004 Silverado diesel - I went up the Oh My God hill. This truck engine was only made for 18 months. It had notorious overheating problems. There was a dieselplace.com thread with over 1800 posts. All kinds of suggestions for fixes, but none really worked. Anyway, I wanted to get on the road by 7:30, but since I enjoy sleeping, I was an hour late.

So outside temps at Lovell were already up to 80 or more. The engine was getting warm on the way up, but not overheating yet. Finally I found a pull out and thought I would let it cool down. Let it run 5 minutes, and no change in temp; so I thought maybe I remembered wrong about letting it run to cool down. Shut it off and walked away and no more than 30 feet the engine starts boiling over!!!
Jumped back in and started it up again! Let it sit for 30 minutes, added a couple of quarts of water, and started up again. Guess what - 1 mile down the road we were at the top.... Argh.

I got a 2012 now and love it. I drove it for 5 years before I ever saw the gauge go up more than 3-4 degrees. Much less stressful!!!
Oh, while stopped at the pullout, another truck driver said he heard a story that a family from CA went on their first big trip with 3 adults and 2 kids and started down this hill. They were riding the brakes and eventually went over the edge when they gave out. Sad story...

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 11-17-2019, 08:23 PM   #6
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
This sign is at the junction of 14 and 14A coming from the east. I pulled a 6K trailer over 14A going west to east with an 02 Chevy with an 8.1 without a problem but have not taken it east to west. Have done 14 both ways more than once
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	US14A_Sign.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	5072  

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote