Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Disc Brakes

Been towing 5th wheels for 35 years and have never been happy with the brakes. When I bought my first brand new trailer, my current Montana, I thought that I would finally have good brakes. Well they weren't any better than my previous trailer, maybe not even as good. Since the Montana was a couple of thousand pounds heavier I figured that was the reason. Checked and adjusted brakes and found no improvement. Then I considered that maybe it was an issue with the truck, but dismissed that theory when I bought a newer truck with no improvement in braking. Now I'm not saying braking was a white knuckle experience, but under hard braking you could tell there was room for improvement. I always felt that you should be able to lock up the trailer brakes with the controller at most speeds. I could not lock mine up at any speed, and have been through 3 trucks and 3 trailers since I could.
So, yesterday I bit the bullet and ordered disc brakes from stopyourtrailer.com
This will be a winter project and I won't see the results until spring (unless we get a wild hair and go south for a few weeks this winter). Interestingly, Bill told me that since Dexter now owns both Titan and Kodiak I may receive either calipers as they are in the process of phasing out the Titan brand. He said that they are exactly the same anyway. I also went ahead and ordered the 9/16 stud kit even though my 7,000lb axles have 1/2 inch studs because the 9/16 hub uses a wider outer bearing. Probably not necessary, but just a little extra insurance.
Here's hoping that all the glowing reviews on disc brakes are true!

Old 11-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
Bulldog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Been towing 5th wheels for 35 years and have never been happy with the brakes. When I bought my first brand new trailer, my current Montana, I thought that I would finally have good brakes. Well they weren't any better than my previous trailer, maybe not even as good. Since the Montana was a couple of thousand pounds heavier I figured that was the reason. Checked and adjusted brakes and found no improvement. Then I considered that maybe it was an issue with the truck, but dismissed that theory when I bought a newer truck with no improvement in braking. Now I'm not saying braking was a white knuckle experience, but under hard braking you could tell there was room for improvement. I always felt that you should be able to lock up the trailer brakes with the controller at most speeds. I could not lock mine up at any speed, and have been through 3 trucks and 3 trailers since I could.
This will be a winter project and I won't see the results until spring (unless we get a wild hair and go south for a few weeks this winter). Interestingly, Bill told me that since Dexter now owns both Titan and Kodiak I may receive either calipers as they are in the process of phasing out the Titan brand. He said that they are exactly the same anyway. I also went ahead and ordered the 9/16 stud kit even though my 7,000lb axles have 1/2 inch studs because the 9/16 hub uses a wider outer bearing. Probably not necessary, but just a little extra insurance.

You will love them. I did it on my Hitchhiker. Used the Kodiak conversion. To me the hardest part was doing the brake lines. I will be doing it to my Montana this winter also.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
I absolutely/positively know for a fact that you will love them and will kick yourself in the a-- for not doing it sooner.

I'm going one step farther in June and having Mor Ryde IS installed.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We're on our second Montana and neither one was more than a year old before disk brakes were added. Wouldn't be without them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
You are going to love your stopping power, and pulling your rig is going to be a pleasure without having to worry about stopping. I bought my stuff from the same place and couldn't be happier.

Mark
Old 11-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
What is the ballpark number to change everything out..? Are there issues going Hydraulic to electric when hooked up to the truck.? I have thought about it just seems like a big hassle to start changing everything...
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I was quoted $1870.00 for my 7,000lb axles. I opted to upgrade to 9/16 studs with a bigger outer bearing for an additional $130.00. Over $100.00 of that was due to needing bigger lug nuts. Labor not included.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
What is the ballpark number to change everything out..? Are there issues going Hydraulic to electric when hooked up to the truck.? I have thought about it just seems like a big hassle to start changing everything...

Everything I needed was in the box.. I opted for Timken bearings and races added 150.00 or so. A few quarts of fluid, and some wire and connectors. My 2012 F350 had a Hyd/Elec option. It was pretty painless.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #9
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
No comparison between the drums and discs, especially in a panic stop. The discs will put a smile on your face for sure.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #10
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I have disk brakes on my sob and love, love, love them. I have a 2015 Chev 3500 and it is not compatible with electric over hydraulic brakes so had to purchase and install an adapter from e-trailer. This has been fantastic but still considering installing an aftermarket brake controller that is comparable with hydraulic disc brakes. You will be very happy with the difference between disc and drum brakes, It is almost like you actually have brakes!!!
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:23 PM   #11
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I have an 3500 ram dually and my truck and rv will stop better together than the dually by itself. Several on this forum have said the same thing even though it doesn't seem possible. You will wonder why you waited so long to change.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #12
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
There is no question that disc brakes offer stopping power that is superior to drums. However, I'd like to comment on the original post where Theunz talked about locking up the trailer brakes. Years ago, adjusting the trailer brake controller (TBC) until the trailer brakes locked up at about 25 mph on clean dry pavement was the standard. That all changed with the advent of anti-lock brakes on TVs. Now, lockup is not a desirable thing. The guidance today is to adjust the TBC until the sensation of the trailer pushing the TV ceases. Additionally, the integration of anti-lock brakes and factory TBC on TVs makes it almost impossible to lock up trailer brakes.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
Kevinpark
Established Member

M.O.C. #23029
Looking for a shop to install disc brakes

Also interested in having disc brakes installed. I’m located in Antioch California. A small city about 70 miles south of Sacramento. I have not been able find a shop that would do the installation. Can anyone recommend a shop in my area to do the work.
Kevinpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #14
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
There is no question that disc brakes offer stopping power that is superior to drums. However, I'd like to comment on the original post where Theunz talked about locking up the trailer brakes. Years ago, adjusting the trailer brake controller (TBC) until the trailer brakes locked up at about 25 mph on clean dry pavement was the standard. That all changed with the advent of anti-lock brakes on TVs. Now, lockup is not a desirable thing. The guidance today is to adjust the TBC until the sensation of the trailer pushing the TV ceases. Additionally, the integration of anti-lock brakes and factory TBC on TVs makes it almost impossible to lock up trailer brakes.
Absolutely agree with you that you do not want your brakes to lock up, however in my case the trailer brakes feel like Fred Flintstone brakes. At 25mph using trailer brakes alone I feel like I could do as well just by dragging my feet. I'm about 14,000lbs loaded, and I think that the drum brakes are just overwhelmed by the weight. My truck has ample brakes to slow down the truck and trailer in normal braking conditions, but in a panic situation I think I would be in deep do-do!
Old 11-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #15
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you can’t find a shop that is handy, you can get hold of Performance Trailer Braking, and they have installers all around the country that will go to you and install the braking system where ever you are. The installer that put mine on did a great job, and didn’t charge extra for me watching him. https://www.performancetrailerbraking.com/
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #16
Kevinpark
Established Member

M.O.C. #23029
Thanks, I’ll give them a call.
Kevinpark is offline   Reply With Quote