Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
White Smoke again

Saw it today, white smoke out the exhaust pipe, engine was cleaning exhaust at the time. This is the 3rd. time. Normal?

PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
My 2010 F-250 does the same thing. Power reduces and it goes into a cleaning mode for a few moments, then returens to normal. Not to worry.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PowellsMonty

Saw it today, white smoke out the exhaust pipe, engine was cleaning exhaust at the time. This is the 3rd. time. Normal?
My bro in law was the same year as you and he noticed a lot of regens and his milage not the same as it was, he took it to Ford and they reflashed the computer and transmission he will find out this day if it helped he's taking the rig out for a WEEK, now he did'nt have white smoke that I know of. take it to ford your truck should still be on warintee.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We had the same thing occur with our truck...both times we were in Maine...beginning to wonder if there might have been some kind of fuel problem there since we have not observed this "show" since.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
White smoke IS normal for a Ford 6.4 with a DPF. It happens when the it goes into the rengen mode. There is nothing to worry about.
You can get rid of it by installing a DPF delete tuner, and have a much nicer driving truck, that gets better fuel mileage to boot.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

White smoke IS normal for a Ford 6.4 with a DPF. It happens when the it goes into the rengen mode. There is nothing to worry about.
You can get rid of it by installing a DPF delete tuner, and have a much nicer driving truck, that gets better fuel mileage to boot.
Lynwood
What is a "DPF delete tuner?"
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:

Lynwood
What is a "DPF delete tuner?"
Something that tells your on board computer to disregard the onboard converter regen , I personally would not think of doing any kind of deletes that might cause my warintee to be voided your vehicle is too new to be doing that and loose your warintee.
I dont know how true these words are but some of the newer computers will store and tampering to the system on file for ford to pull out if needed.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I have a stupid question, I'm not a Ford person, but if you install a tuner that tells the truck to disregard regens, won't the DPF eventually becomed clogged and affect enging performance, sort of like the old potato in the exhaust pipe?? Seems to me if you're going to stop regens you would also need to remove the DPF also. Just my thoughts
Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

I have a stupid question, I'm not a Ford person, but if you install a tuner that tells the truck to disregard regens, won't the DPF eventually becomed clogged and affect enging performance, sort of like the old potato in the exhaust pipe?? Seems to me if you're going to stop regens you would also need to remove the DPF also. Just my thoughts
I would think so
Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Its a tuner like my Spartan that does away with DPF. I think the Spartan is the best one but there are several others . There will be several people to post that will tell you Ford will cancel your warranty if you put one on, and that is true if they find it. I took my truck in to my dealer with the tuner on and working, had it put on their computer. Their Ford certified tech could not find any evidence of a tuner being on my truck. Yes I know that doesn't sound reasonable, buy that is what he told me. Can Ford find it? If they dig deep enough probably. If they dig deep enough to see if its exceeded some power limit. I don't know of a single case of a warranty being denied because a Spartan had been on a truck, if it was removed before warranty work was done. There could have been some but I'm not aware of them, and I monitor 6 Ford 6.4 diesel sites almost every day.
Lynwood
Old 12-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My Regen was cycling too often, like 2 or 3 times a day, then one fine day, my on-board-computer rings the bell..ding.ding.ding, the screen tells me to safely pull over to the side of the road. I did as the robot asked. Then the engine shut off, and would not start again...darn robot..
Had it towed to the dealer, $3,500.00 later, I got the truck back: (Warranty paid for it.) Now, it Regen's every so often, but just for one short burst of smoke, but the computer never indicates it, so, back to the dealership it will go, too much robot stuff for this country boy.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ozz
When you got the new DPF they reprogrammed your truck and now it only displays, now in regen or something to that affect for 2 to 3 seconds. Now that you have the new program they cant go back to your old program that displayed it all the time you were in regen.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:

Ozz
When you got the new DPF they reprogrammed your truck and now it only displays, now in regen or something to that affect for 2 to 3 seconds. Now that you have the new program they cant go back to your old program that displayed it all the time you were in regen.
Thank you for explaining that to me, appreciate it. As long as it is working as it should it's all good!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
OK, my question still stands, if you re-program the on-board computer, by means of a tuner or any other means, to no longer do a regen, will not the particule filter eventually become totally plugged or does installing such a tuner involve removing the particule filter its self. I'm new to this DPF and DEF stuff as my 2005 Duramax had neither, while my new 2011 has both. Below is the function of the DPF per Wikipedia.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

"A diesel particulate filter (top left) in a PeugeotA diesel particulate filter, sometimes called a DPF, is a device designed to remove diesel particulate matter or soot from the exhaust gas of a diesel engine. Wall-flow diesel particulate filters usually remove 85% or more of the soot, and can at times (heavily loaded condition) attain soot removal efficiencies of close to 100%. A diesel-powered vehicle equipped with a functioning filter will emit no visible smoke from its exhaust pipe.

In addition to collecting the particulate, a method must exist to clean the filter. Some filters are single-use (disposable), while others are designed to burn off the accumulated particulate, either through the use of a catalyst (passive), or through an active technology, such as a fuel burner which heats the filter to soot combustion temperatures, through engine modifications (the engine is set to run a certain specific way when the filter load reaches a pre-determined level, either to heat the exhaust gases, or to produce high amounts of NOx, which will oxidize the particulates at relatively low temperatures), or through other methods. This is known as "filter regeneration".

Old 12-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My theory on this is not to try and mess with a complex system that engineers have put into production, especially when gambling with your expensive engine.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #16
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Ozz, I have to agree. Just checked three sites offering DPF delete kits, including the Spartian. All three DPF delete kit do include a pipe to replace the DPF and a tuner or flash to reprogram the computer, but can be purchased separately also. BUT all three have the disclaimer that DPF delete is not intended for highway use and violates numerous state and federal regs. So, I guess things will stay as they are.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You do haft to get rid of the DPF to install a DPF delete tuner. Mine is laying in my tractor shed. Thats a lot better place for it than on my truck. If you choose to keep your DPF should have a oil analysis done when you change oil. A lot of people have 6% fuel in their oil in 5000 miles. I had 13% in 10000 miles. that is very bad for your engine. Check the Blackstone Labs web site. I think you are going to pay for a tuner one way or another. so you just as well have it. It appears to me people with a tuner have less trouble with their trucks than people with the DPF in place. For one thing they can cause the EGR to only open at idle. If your EGR exhaust gas recirculater gets a hole burnt in from the very hot exhaust coolant will enter the oil pan. Your oil will become thicker than cold honey, and completely run your engine, in short order. This does happen. When your truck is in Regen your cylinders are being washed free of any lube, wearing your back 2 cylinders out faster. If you have fuel in your oil the oil is not as effective as it was when new, and that wears out your bearings faster. Without the DPF you get about 2 miles par gallon better fuel mileage. Mine went from 12.5 to 15.6.
If you keep your DPF to protect your warranty I do not blame you, But please have your oil checked. Its a good investment to help protect such an expensive investment. It's a good investment without a DPF. You may be surprised at what you find out, I was.
Lynwood
Old 12-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Well you guys do what you want to your TV, me I worry about the state of california going after me for modifying the exhost system, if I get cought it can be a hefty fine for me, I did it on my 96 ford with the Off Road tube for the Cat filter, a note that after I did this the fumes from my truck were extreamly strong, and it was not a idle around the area too long due to the diesel fumes.
If I had a truck that was blowing white smoke out the exhoust or bells telling me to pull over and park the manufacture of the vehicle would be hearing from me loud and clear.
I would start my documentation from that point on untill the problem is resolved.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:32 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Well you guys do what you want to your TV, me I worry about the state of california going after me for modifying the exhost system, if I get cought it can be a hefty fine for me, I did it on my 96 ford with the Off Road tube for the Cat filter, a note that after I did this the fumes from my truck were extreamly strong, and it was not a idle around the area too long due to the diesel fumes.
If I had a truck that was blowing white smoke out the exhoust or bells telling me to pull over and park the manufacture of the vehicle would be hearing from me loud and clear.
I would start my documentation from that point on untill the problem is resolved.
What happened on mine is the Catalitic converter went 'Tango Uniform', so the computer got a signal from the sensor, shutting the engine down. They put on a new one, and that fixed it. In the old days, if it didn't bang and clang, most people would continue to drive, damaging something. I can see the reasoning, I'm glad it protected the engine.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #20
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I will take the advice of Diesel Power magazine keep my old 2001 dodge cummins stick shift without all this new emission control crap. Diesel Power had several articles about this very issue. The Ford and GM would have more problems because of the design of this system Just more stuff to go wrong and more trips to the dealer to see what happened this time.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote