Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Fender repair

For those that have had an explosive blowout, you can count on the fender skirting receiving damage. I had enough of the skirt left, although cracked about 80% of the way across, a few small pieces missing particularly where the screws fit into the recesses, and some smaller hairline cracks, I was able to repair it like new.

I used a Permatex Plastic Tank repair kit. It comes with a special 2 part epoxy, an application brush, fiberglass matting, sand paper for roughing up the areas to be repaired, and an alcohol swab to prep the surface for the epoxy resin and cloth. Yes, I was skeptical as every time I have tried to glue or repair plastic, whatever the product, it just does not adhere.

Anyhow, following the instructions, I laid up the glass cloth from the rear and allowed a full day to cure. In the screw recess where the backing was torn out, I laid up a small washer in the mix. Next I flipped it over and used a palm sander to smooth off the epoxy that seeped through the cracks. I found that Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy White is an excellent match for the original plastic. Two coats of that and I'll reattach after waiting another day.

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote