Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Boon-docking - inverter question

I am installing a 1500w inverter this weekend in prep for the "Q". The reason I'd like the inverter is for TV late night, power the cpap and coffee maker in the morning.

My plan is to run an extension cord from the inverter to the 50a input on the trailer. As I understand it, the converter must be off while running the inverter, so I plan to put a 20a switch to turn it off when running off the inverter (rather than flipping the breaker).

This leaves the trailer with only 110v circuits hot. The only lights would be 110v fixtures.

The other option is to run a separate dedicated circuit from the inverter to the entertainment center. I can run the cpap on a 12v plug if I went this way.

I have been conflicted about which way to go. Now that the rig is apart, I have to make up my mind. I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
I installed a 2000w, four 6v batteries, and connected it to the whole coach. I also am blessed with a cpap and that was my reasoning for the install. We just got back from a US Forest campground with no hookups. the inverter would run all night from 6pm to easily 10 am and still show 11 volts. We used the cpap, heater (temp was 28 at night), coffee pot, toaster, and micro in that time frame. I ran the 2000i during the day for about 2 to 3 hours to fully change the batteries. I am very happy and I'm sure you will be also. If you do what I did you need to remember to shut off the 110 to the heater and put the refer on gas not auto.
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I believe I would go with independent circuits instead of trying to feed through the 50 AMP circuit. It is easier to isolate unknown current draw that way.
Good luck and pictures please.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brenkco

...This leaves the trailer with only 110v circuits hot. The only lights would be 110v fixtures.
Ken: you still have 12V lights and appliances even if the converter is turned off. The 12V originates from the batteries and the converter replaces what is drawn off by usage. You just won't be able to re-charge the battery until you supply "real" 120V via a generator (and turn the converter back on).

We need to talk. I will be looking at solving a similar need and I am leaning towards isolating existing house circuits via a sub-panel and switching them between shore and inverter power. I am likely not describing it correctly but I have a mental picture I am working on.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Butch,
Thanks, that makes sense. I have the batteries out now installing a Blue Sea box with 2 6v much the same as Jack did. Now I get why I had no 12v lights-no batteries!. I think Don Carr did a sub-panel much as you describe. Now you have me thinking of option #3!

I pulled the panel off in the garage where the tv mounts. The converter is plugged into a single receptacle right under the stairs. I was easy to get to. I am going to mount a 20a switch on the same panel so that I could turn off the converter without using the breaker. I could easily mount the switch for the converter and the remote switch for the inverter in the hall next to the information center but I don't quite see the point or am I missing something. Have to go out to start/stop the generator anyway so why add more clutter inside the rig.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:27 AM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
When I install my inverter, I tapped the original circuits, bedroom & entertainment. On the bedroom install a double pole double throw switch in line and the entertainment I just wired the plug with one side to inverter and one side to shore power. I works for me.
Be sure to install inverter as close as possible to the batteries. And some inverters come with remote switches.
As for coffee, we have used a old school coffee perculator, stove top model, have had it for 20 yrs. great for boomdocking.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
A sub panel is the best way to go to truly isolate and prevent persoticic drains. We only boondocks 1 night at a time as we currently have no genset to recharge. I did replace the converter with a Magnum MS2812 inverter/charger. It does power the entire coach. If boon docking overnight I will manually turn off the breakers for anything we are not using. Typically we use the inverter primarily during lunch and pit stops when we have a need for 120v
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote