Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Direct TV

After 4 tears of dealing with no TV, poor antenna reception or cable TV with very poor reception we have decided to get Direct TV.
On Thursday they will be out for a free installation, free dish and free box.
Any of you have any questions that I should be asking at time of install?

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Glenn,
A couple of things to be aware of as far as what you are getting....

To get the directv HD programing you need a 5 LNB dish - and probably a reciever box that can take 5 inputs.....

Local Channels - Normally you have to subscribe to local programing in a "home" area. Heard they might be making changes to accomodate full time travellers or the tech might be able to tell you how to get around the system.

Don't know if you are interested in DirectWay for your internet access. Seems to me your current system works fine but you can ask questions about it and if what they are giving you is compatable if you decide to add that service in the future (or do you need to replace everything?) One of the two (I am not sure which) requires a completely seperate dish so it may be a mute point but at least you will know the details if you ask, then we can all pick your brain in the future....
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Bill,
I'll be happy with the regular old TV. Don't see HD in my future at this time and besides with my old eyes HD looks the same to me. I really don't see what the HD fuss is all about.

Local Clearwater FL programing is also fine. In most areas if I want local news I can probably get away with the antenna.

As far as the Internet connection my Verizon AirCard has served me well and is a lot cheaper than getting set up with DirectWay but I will ask the question anyway.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok, That makes it clear...what would be best to make it simple is;
-Get dual LNB Round dish
-Allows use with single coax from dish to camper
-Get a signal meter (makes alignment a snap)
-Get a "pointing" compass
-Reconfigure those screws with knobs to allow easy breakdown
-Get a tripod to allow mobile locations on ground
***sit back and watch TV***
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Glenn, I am not able to get "local channels" on my Direct system. I do get the National alphabet stations after sending in a waiver, took about 6 weeks. I get east and west coast alphabet stations. That means LA and New York. I was told I could not get "local chanels" without having a perm residence. I enjoy the local channels where ever I am and that usually means hooking to local cable, if they have it. You may find it a little different.

I would get 100' of cable also for those shady locations. I have a dome AND a dish and only use the dish when I am under trees and can't see the southern sky.....

Good luck with the system.......

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Noneck, Don't forget to get a level (I use the square type with bubble) to make sure the tripod and dish is level. That being the first step in setting up the mobile dish.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
OK now I gotta start a shopping list...[list_to_fix][*]signal meter [*]a "pointing" compass / square type with bubble [*]Reconfigure those screws with knobs to allow easy breakdown [*]tripod [*]100' of cable [*] [*] [*] [*]
Old 10-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

Glenn, I am not able to get "local channels" on my Direct system. I do get the National alphabet stations after sending in a waiver, took about 6 weeks. I get east and west coast alphabet stations. That means LA and New York. I was told I could not get "local chanels" without having a perm residence. I enjoy the local channels where ever I am and that usually means hooking to local cable, if they have it. You may find it a little different.

I would get 100' of cable also for those shady locations. I have a dome AND a dish and only use the dish when I am under trees and can't see the southern sky.....

Good luck with the system.......

Phil
Phil,
I shouldn't have a problem getting local Clearwater channels as they will either use the campgrounds street address or Lorraine's niece's address also in Clearwater.

BTW- Thanks for the advice on the 100' of cable. I have seen this done but probably would have forgotten about it until I needed it.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:06 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Ok...I forgot a very important thing...a torpedo level, essential item, thanks roque! Here we are at Watkins Glen KOA...
Old 10-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #10
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We have had Direct TV for several years on the stick house. We started with a single LNB dish, then 3 LNB dish and now and now a 5 LNB dish for HD. Last year I started using the single LNB dish for mobile applications. However this year we upgraded the stick house to HD (5 LNB) and the 3 LNB dish became surplus for the hosue. I now use the 3 LNB dish for mobile applications. Slightly harder to set up but still not diffcult. From what I have learned the 5 LNB dish is required over the 3 LNB dish to get local channels in HD. We spend our winters in AZ and can't get the local channels there anyway so at the present I don't intend to try using a 5 LNB dish for mobile applications. Here is the local area, when mobile using a 3 LNB dish, we get the local channels, not in HD, but do get all the rest of HD channels that are included in our program package.

So I would look for a single, dual or 3 LNB dish for use with your RV. They are free to almost free since so many are being replaced by 5 LNB dishes. I use nothing more than a tripod, a bubble level and a compass to align our dish and have dome so in several different locations. I do have a good Winegard tripod and do carry two 50' lengths of cable. Have never had to use the second 50' but have been right on the edge. Here in the NW trees would almost not allow the use of a dome antenna fixed on the RV nor would it work in our spot in AZ.

LNB's do not equate to the # of TV's that can be attached. LNB's equal the number of satellites that can be observed. With one receiver one can carry the output to as many TV's as you want with one serious restriction - - All TV's will be watching the same channel. Usually the 1, 2 & 3 LNB dishes have mutiplexers on them so you can cable from the dish to second, third or fourth receiver and then each receiver/TV can operate independently. Our 3 LNB dish has a 4 way multiplexer output for up to a total of 4 receivers. That is what I would recommend finding. Then if you want to later have more than one receiver or upgrade to HD you are already equipped correctly outside the RV. I beleive Directv chages an extra $5 for each additional receiver. Hope this helps.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:33 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all I want to Thank everyone for their assistance. It is really appreciated.

Secondly, just a bit more clarification into just what we are looking for from our satellite
I was traveling with a couple that had the 3 LNB dish and it seemed to be a pain in the butt trying to get all 3 sats. I think I would prefer the single LNB. So long as I am picking up programing I will be happy and as it stands right now I have absolutely no interest in HD.
As I grew up the first TV we ever had had a tiny 6 inch screen. That was back in 1948. Since than the screens got larger and than came color TV. I am totally happy with my basic color TV. Flat screens and Plasma screens are a waste on me. Also we only watch about 2 hours of TV a day and maybe Nascar on weekends. If we do watch any TV during the day it is usually the History Channel, Discovery, Travel and yes even PBS.
The local Clearwater stations are important for me to keep track of the hurricanes and I have the local channels memorized. Not so when I am picking up new area programing with different channels in new areas we are visiting for a day, a week or even a month.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:43 AM   #12
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Glen,

I wouldn't be scared of a 3 LNB dish. In a single LNB dish there are only two adjustments that have to be set on the dish after one gets the tripod level. Elevation and azimuth. The receiver provides this information after you enter the zip code you are in. I've had not trouble with hitting right on with the elevation but have had trouble lining up with the azimuth angle at times. With the 3 LNB dish there are three adjustments required. Elevation, azimuth and skew. The receiver provides all three numbers when the receiver automatically senses a three LNB dish or you manually configure it for a 3 LNB dish. Then level the tripod, PRE-set the elevation and skew and then rotate the dish in the tripod holder for the right azimuth. If I have the tripod perfectly level, I have always been dead on with the elevation and skew but have had to do a little hunting for the right azimuth. Make sure you get a tripod that has adjustable legs to allow easy leveling on uneven ground or ground that is not level. The tripod will have to be locked down to the ground to avoid dish movement during windy conditions. 3 stakes came with my adjustable leg Wineguard tripod for this purpose. The key to make this all easy is to start with a perfectly level tripod. I use nothing more than a bubble level, in the tube, to get the tripod level and a compass to get close to the azimuth. The elevation and skew adjustments are marked right on the dish mounting bracket. I have never felt the need for a signal meter or more exotic instruments and have set ours up several times in locations from AZ to all over the NW part of the US.

I don't know what type of dish Direct TV uses now on a new installation. It would not surprise me if they were to put 5 LNB dishes now in all new locations even if no HD channels are required. As I recall however Direct TV had to upgrade our single LNB dish to 3 LNB dish to get certain channels. My memory is fuzzy on this so don't take the following as gospel but earlier this summer I set up the single lnb dish and couldn't get local channels until I added a B Band Converter between the dish and the receiver. Then I could get the local channels with a single & 3LNB dish and a Phillips receiver. But no HD channels. The B Band converter is also required to get the local channels in HD with a 5 LNB dish and a HD receiver. Not sure of my memory here as have gone through several iterations recently.

But just tell Directv and your installer exactly what your needs are especially concerning the local channels where you are and your future mobile requirements. I suspect they install at least a 3LNB dish minimum, maybe even a 5 LNB dish on new installations now. If that is the case, ask the installer if he has an extra single or 3 LNB dish in the truck or has access to one. If he does he might just give it to you free. They are a dime a dozen now.

Good luck.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:51 AM   #13
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Glenn, I use the direct round dish, duel LNB, they will give you 2 recievers, (I have one for living area, and bedroom) they will give you as much cable as you need, 100 ft is fine, they should give you the cable that is double cable (together) it comes with the set up. from the time they start setting you up you will be watching tv in less then 20 minutes. BTW, the round duel LNB is really easy to set up and get the 101 sat. I had Dish Network for 8 yrs then got dish 500 and didnt like trying to set it up. This Direct is very very easy! the other folks gave you very good info on the "extras" makes it easier setting up.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
While traveling with Glenn and Lorraine to Oregon this summer, I was the one having trouble with the 3lnb setup. However, at the rally out there I learned some real good advice. When you are having any trouble getting in the sats, stop, go in for a cold one and come back later. You know what, it works! Twice on the way back, I did just that and then when I came back to try again, the sats were there.
The three lnbs aren't as hard as some(me) people make it out to be.
When the guy comes to install, ask him how you can get connected in two rooms.
Sometimes it seems harder when someone is watching too!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have both Hughes(formerly Directway) and the new DTV 5 LNB HD dish. Both are oval dishes and are about the same size. The Hughes dish is way heavier than the DTV dish. I am using surveyor tripods which are very easy to get dead level and are very stable even with 50lbs of fiber glass dish and control arm (the Hughes dish). the DTV dish is pressed steel and fairly light even though it has 5 LNBs there are only 4 cables coming from it. These go to a 6x8 switch that I just velcro to the tripod. Then I only have to run one cable per tv to the rig. I actually will be running three cables, two for the DVR and one for the bedroom TV. The DTV reciever will give you all the settings you need if you put in a zip code. If the tripod is dead level then setting the mount to the required values should drop you right on the Sats. I have set up the Hughes dish without a bird dog meter or a screamer several hundred times and only had one problem that turned out to be the tripod was no longer level. Just being careful in setup and it is a cake walk. The first few times are a bit trying but just take the system out in a field with a genset and a portable tv and play. Do several break downs and set ups and pretty soon you will get comfortable... Dave and betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:36 AM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Glenn, This is information you probably do not need, but I have both long term and very recent experience with DirectTV. I just use an old SINGLE, ROUND dish with a home made tripod. On our recent month long trip to Colorado ws used that setup in almost every campground (over some pretty high hills to the South). We got excellent reception. Of course, we did not get any local channels, but we often we able to get them though the RV antenna.

Unfortunately, I am going to have to give up my Direct TV because I have just installed a package deal with our local telephone company which provides all the same channels of TV, my local telephone, and a very fast internet connection for a very good cost. I cannot justify the additional cost of Direct TV here at home, just to have it while traveling in our RV. I will certainly miss it, but we are never going to be full timers, so it does not make sense for us.

Bottom line: I find the simple dish to meet most of the needs for Direct TV. It worked fine for us.

EDIT TO ADD: When I called Direct TV this morning, they offered to put my account on "SUSPEND" (no charge) until I call for it to be activated. They allow this up to 2 times per year. Not ideal, but I am willing to give it a try. I can activate before major travel plans at least a couple of times.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #17
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Let me try again...can you all see this pic? Round dish, in a camping world purchased tripod, sittin on SOB, and one of the best NASCAR tracks ever...Pocono, Pa!
Noneck jr adjusting his scanner radio, and yes, we now do this samething in class with the Monty!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 01:05 AM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
OK, I got the single LNB dish and a tripod. The installers did a great job and almost everything works fine.
My reasoning for the single LNB was "KISS" Keep It Simple Stupid.
As some of you may have wittnessed previously, I am not a very patient man and when something ain't going the way I feel it should I have a tendency to fly off the handle. I know Steve has wittnessed this trait in me. Steve your "When you are having any trouble getting in the sats, stop, go in for a cold one and come back later." For me it would take a whole lot more than one. Case? Maybe.

Anyway I said "almost everything works". For the life of me I cannot program the DirectTV remote to take over the TV's remote. I must use the TV remote to control the sound volume. Lorraine and I have tried together and individually and it just doesn't work.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:55 AM   #19
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Glenn
Are you putting in a code for your brand of TV? I had mine working in my office at the stick house but Ed doesn't like it that way so we don't have Monty's set up that way.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #20
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:Glenn and Lorraine Posted - Oct 12 2007 : 07:05:50 AM
...Anyway I said "almost everything works". For the life of me I cannot program the DirectTV remote to take over the TV's remote. I must use the TV remote to control the sound volume. Lorraine and I have tried together and individually and it just doesn't work.
Glenn, in addition to what Sue said, you might try to use your Quest DVD/Receiver Surround Sound amp.(or whatever system you have) Use the the AUX button on the remote to control the Amplifier.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote