Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #21
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
OntMont/snfexpress, I would certainly hope you get more on trade since it cost $4k more to purchase.

Delaine and Lindy, you are probably right regarding the availability of 2wd, I ordered mine.

Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #22
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
have had both, this tv is 2wd, don't miss the 4x4, have driven this one on the same roads to the same places for the last 6 years with no problems and saved about 4K in the process. the next tv will be what ever strikes my fancy that day.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #23
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I agree with what some of the others have said - especially how you use the truck makes a difference. I have had mine, with the Montana attached, unable to move. Slipped into 4x4 and nice and easy out. Our lot has a very steep egress and I put it in 4x4 low and just let it walk down the mountain. (By the way, my wife is from Colorado and she likes to dance). I also hunt and fish like Dave and have had my boat into the water when the ramp gets a little icy. With the front tires on dry pavement its easy to pull out of the water with 4x4. The right truck is the one that works for you. I would never tell anyone that a two wheel drive is wrong, but I can't see them telling me a 4x4 isn't necessary. One place we hunted we had to pass through a bentonite mine (kitty litter). Try that on some hills, going up or down. So, that's why I have a 4x4 (beside wanting to dance with the fine women of Colorado).
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #24
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I live in CO and would NEVER be without 4x4. I've used it for more than winters as well, just getting in and out of camping spots, MN, WI, and even in NM. I'm sold on mine and that doesn't even count the trade in factor, in CO you couldn't even give a 4x2 away. Not sure about dancing, I'll have to give that a try too.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #25
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Honestly, all the trucks off the rack had it. To get one without, I would have had to special order --- and wait. Would you believe that Dianna thought it was a good thing. The more I live with her, the more I am amazed.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #26
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
As you all know I am a full timer and when the temps start to drop I point my 4X4 GMC and Monty and head south until the temps stop dropping. I haven't driven in snow for over 4 years and I never plan to drive in snow ever again and yet I'll never give up my 4X4. Snow and ice have little relevancy in me owning a 4X4.
Apparently none of the dissenters have ever tried driving through soft sand. I have and without the 4X4 I'd still be there.
Try to back into a wet grassy site on a slight incline without 4X4.
Try pulling up a loose gravel incline into a pull thru site without 4X4.
Apparently none of the dissenters have ever had to back into a wet muddy grassy site.
Apparently none of the dissenters have ever had to pull their Monty out of that same wet muddy grassy site.

I’m going to let the 2 pics below speak for me…

Theses pics were taken in Vermont just over a year ago after we backed into our campsite. Why did I continue backing? I had gotten to a point of no return and according to the forecast things were supposed to be dry for the next few days. Well I guess Mother Nature had different plans as the night before we pulled out it poured and matters got even worse. When hooking up my TV had sank nearly 4 inches into the mud when I put the weight of the Monty on the hitch and there was no way on God's green earth I was going to get out of there without 4WD and Low Range at that. The pics above were from backing into the site with much drier conditions. If I hadn’t had 4WD it would have cost me dearly to get a tow truck out to pull me out of this mess.
I also required 4WD in a campground in northern New York where the grass was wet from a heavy dew. In a Florida campground where the shoulders of the driveway were very sandy. Making the typical wide swing on the way out I got into this sand and again 4WD pulled me through. In a Virginia KOA at the foot of a mountain I needed 4WD just to back a slight upgrade into the campsite.
You can also forget the extra weight of the 5er on the rear axle. When you get in the soft wet stuff more often than not you’ll wished you had a 4X4.
Having the Low Range that comes with a 4X4 is also a giant plus factor. Backing that Monty up the slightest upgrade is 100% easier when you drop the 4X4 into 4 Low. You can back at nearly an idle speed taking a lot of pressure AND HEAT off the tranny.
I could site other examples but I think you are getting the idea. For me, there is no way that I would not have a 4X4. Forget the extra weight, it’s negligible in comparison to the total package. Forget the ride comfort. I have ridden in 2X4s and 1 ton duallys that rode harsher. My GMC is a TRUCK for God’s sake not a Cadillac. If I wanted total ride comfort I’d sell the Monty, the GMC and buy a Caddy. Forget the extra cost as my 4X4 has saved me that much and more in towing costs.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #27
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I lived in Iowa for several years and bought the 4x4 because of the winters. However, I would not be without it now for some of the various previous reasons mentioned but especially when we're parked in areas where there is grass and it rains! I've seen too many 2 wd vehicles stuck asking for tows. And I've been there to help them. I just chuckle to myself, don't say a word and just walk their truck with rv attached right out of their stuck situation. As for mileage, who cares? If you're into this lifestyle then it's just part of the living expense. Furthermore, I don't even notice the less mpg because I get 9 to 11 mpg all the time when towing.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:53 PM   #28
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
So, there!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #29
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, Here goes my two cents: leaving Alaska in late May/early Jun, some sites were still drying out. 4X4 to the rescue. Cathy and I took a wrong turn on Hiway 20 in Oregon and headed up Moonshine Pass Rd. The road and mountain got steeper and steeper, one lane and turned my Monty around on side of mountain using 4 low. When I did my driving school in Anchorage, my instructor advised me to put it in 4 low to back up This was for better and slower control. Hs worked great so far. Bottom line for me is: 4 X 4 FOREVER...

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #30
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

So, there!
I asked a simple question and thankfully from this great group a received multiple thorough replies. All truthful of the needs and wants.

so here is my thoughts:
(oh buy the way I've had 4x4's before, I'm paying for 1 now, sons)
I am also in the smaller group '95 2 wheel drive daily driver.
I Have been stuck a few times. Did I wish I had a 4x4? yes.
Did it make me want to buy a new truck? no.

Still undecided on the new truck 2 or 4, lariat or knig ranch.

My reasoning:
I still remember my dads' thoughts about a 4x4, Son did you get the truck (2x4) stuck? yes dad. go get the tractor and pull it out. Now did it pull out easy? yes dad. then why would you want a 4x4? to get stuck so bad that we have to get BOTH tractors out to pull the 4x4 out. Are you wanting to be just like your brother? you know everytime he gets stuck we BOTH have to go out with the tractors to get him out. buy the 2 wheel truck and save your money.

Wish dad was still here.

ps I'm looking at both (2 & 4 wheel) it will be a dually though and to make matters worse my family of friends (ford employee) says he'll go with me tomorrow and start looking at the "king ranch"
He tells me to not worry about it as what he is seeing on the ford web site is they are very close in price to the lariat. so why not buy it.
how easy it is for others to say what to buy. I hate looking at the payments.
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #31
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well if you plan to travel to fl in the winter and get caught in a rain storm , yes it rains sometimes in the winter here but the rds are slick and you need 4x4 to keep it on the rd they mix a lot of oil in the blk top here and a dif stone so ne grip as you will spin at a lite with the coach on the back , so yes 4x4 john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:05 PM   #32
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I live in North Idaho and if a truck isn't a 4x4 you can't even give them away. When I replace my current truck I will get another 4x4 even though I seldom use that feature. I think the resale factor is very important around here.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:16 PM   #33
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I bought the 2 wheel dually cause I know if I got stuck the guys with the 4X4 would be glad to pull me out. That way they could show off the prowess of they 4x4. I lived in SD for 39 years and none of my cars had 4X4, but I still got around. Had a pickup with 4X4 for 5 years and it never was in 4 wheel drive. When we got snow or ice it was surprising how many 4X4s were in the ditch, think it was a my 4X4 can go anywhere as fast as I want to.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #34
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
Your Dad's advice was good on the farm. The only question I feel the need to ask is "do you camp on the farm where the tractor is kept?" If you do, I wouldn't worry. If you camp other places and don't have the tractor along, you might want to consider the 4x4. An get the King Ranch while your at it. You'll thank me later. They are slick trucks.
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:41 AM   #35
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
I believe that there is another area of cost not brought up here. So really there are four reasons that effect cost in this post. You have added cost, Less mileage, Maintaince, & one more thing not mentioned here. Have you ever checked the insurance rates? They are higher..... I too Grew up in Northern MN (Duluth) and remember when it was a luxury to have 4X4. Everyone got around with snow tires and 2 wheel drive. One more thing I remember that is a little more time consuming and agrivation but works for those with 4x2's in a jam. Chains 65.00 for a set and sure they are a little more messy and time consuming but they work fantastic.

Now after chunking some numbers they may not seem like much but the insurance rates were around 200 bucks a year last time I checked. Now take the mileage difference (3 MPG) between the two at my average of 15000 miles a year and at 2.75 a gallon. 4X4 17.5 MPG using 882 Gal. a year, cost 2426.47 to operate. 4x2, 20.5 MPG will use 714 gal cost 1964.28. Added investment of 4000 for 4X4 by 6% interest on investment return around 40 bucks. Putting those numbers together it is around 700-750 dollar savings a year not including maintainance.

Sure it might it might seem like small beans but over time it all adds up. For those that are on a tight budget, which I am not, it means something. I have used my chains 1 time in two years owning them, laughed my butt off because I won a case of beer over the deal. I was in a mudd situation and was told by everyone there I would not get my rig out. I informed them I could, they told me no way. I said are you sure? They said YES NO WAY! The accused me of cheating when I brought the chains out of the tool box.

The point of my post is: It is a convenience item at a cost. If I was in a situation where I used 4x4 many times during the year then yes it would be a must. How many people are really in that situation? Do we own a 4x4 now, yes we do our Durango is a 4x4. Just a few things to ponder.......
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:39 AM   #36
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c5racer

I bought the 2 wheel dually cause I know if I got stuck the guys with the 4X4 would be glad to pull me out. That way they could show off the prowess of they 4x4.
Are you sure? Not everyone wants to show off, leastwise those in my age bracket.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:55 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never owned a 4 wheel drive vehicle of any kind BUT are contemplating purchasing one now.Now I have little knowledge of things automotive, not a guy thing I know and to make it worse I do not care much for sports..I would have thought that a 4X4 when NOT engaged, except for the extra weight, would have little or no effect on MPG. It would not be very bright on my part to pay more for the 4X4, Lower my tow capacity, get 2 or 3 MPG less for something I MAY use 4 or 5 times a year.It would not make any sense at all on my part.Can someone enlighten me on the theory of whay a 4X4 effects considerably less MPG????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:23 AM   #38
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Been having a 4 X 4 around since the 80's. I find they require little more maintenance than the 2wd's. I just gave my granddaughter a 91 K1500 Chevy I had bought new. IIRC, I have replaced the CV joint boot on one side. Oh, and it has 230K plus miles on it. We live on a sand hill here in East TX (raises great peas and melons), and the 4WD keeps the spinning down when moving the fiver around here. There were a couple guys on the coast that were happy I had it while we were there. I saved them the cost of calling a tow truck. Like they say, different strokes for different folks.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:32 AM   #39
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Guelph Canada, summer 1986

Not a Tana, of course, but our beloved bunkhouse.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:35 AM   #40
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We just returned from traveling over 6k miles, lowest mpg 10.1 and best was 12.9 towing. I used 4x4 to get INTO a camp site(even broke front license bracket)! I park the 5er beside the house and have to climb over the curb sometimes, need to use 4x4 then.
Unhitched mpg as high as 20mpg. I don't really know how much I'm supposed to be giving up with a 4x4, or maybe I should say, I don't care.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote