Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Dually Rear Tire Pressure and Pressure Pro??

We just purchased our first dually (Ford F450 2008) and I was in the process of installing the sensors for our Pressure Pro. Well, when I got to the rear tires I was stumped. We have metal valve stems and on the rear, the outer tire valve stem points inward, and the inner valve stem points outward, in other words, the point towards each other. How does a person check the inner tire pressure? I was able to check and add air to the outer tire but can't get to the inner tire unless I take the outer tire off.

Also, it seems the only way to install the pressure pro would be to take the outer tire off? But, if I do that, then I would have to take the tire off if I ever need to add air to the rear tires.

Any suggestions on not only how to check the rear pressure but to install the pressure pro on the rear tires would be appreciated. If need be, I will just take the rear tires off if there isn't an easier way.

Thanks in advance for any info.

traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Took "BB"
{(bodaceous buttocks) our Chevy dually to Les Schwab tires and had stainless steel valve extensions put on. the inners now point out and the oters also point out. Also had the fronts done with shorter extensions. No leaks after a 2000mile trip! Works for me!!! About 95.00 to have it done, pulled tires, had steel valve stems put in also, extensions and then remounted. No charge to check air pressures and no charge for rotation of tires at anytime.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If you have slots in the wheels and can reach through them, here is what I got to check the inner pressure, the only way I have found to add air is with a rubber hosed compressor type inflator. Hope this helps.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90610

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
If the rear tires are mounted right the valve stems should be 180 degrees from each other. I can air mine up without removing tires. If i understand what you are saying.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:44 AM   #5
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Looks like I am off to a tire store to get valve extensions for the inner tires and the valves turned around on the outer tires. I'd rather pay a little $$ then have to remove a tire every time I need to add air.

Thanks all for the info.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:51 AM   #6
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Traveljunkie: What you need to do is get a "dual foot" air chuck and tire gauge. We had those flexible extensions on a class A MH and if you get any dirt in it and air your tires, you might blow the dirt into the valve core and it will let the air out of your tires. Had it happen.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:56 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Strongly recommend all metal valve stems be put in, especially on the rear duals. (Seems like something is always getting between the tires and most tire problems I've read about recently have been damaged rubber valve stems on the inside duals). As for the extenders, I've heard nothing but bad things about them -- even our local Montana dealer recommended against the ones that bend around -- too much length sticking out there and getting hit by road debris. On my Dodge I have to remove my wheel covers (I have the steel wheels with the 'chrome' covers as the holes in the cover are too small for my hands. But once the covers are removed my hands easily fit and I can air up either tire using a dual headed chuck. You should be able to install your transmitter/sensors easily as well.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:28 AM   #8
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Well, the good thing is the truck came with steel valve stems. The other good thing is after further manuevering, I was able to fit my hand between the tires and reach the valve stems and put the pressure pro sensors on. I think I will still invest in a dually tire guage. I do have a dual tire chuck on my air compressor but it is not long enough to reach through the holes to get pressure on the valve. However, now that I know I can wiggle my hand in, I might be able to get it to work with a little effort.

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Skypilot: On my Dodge 3500 I cut out one of the slots on the wheel cover so my BIG hand would fit. No one even notices it.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:05 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Bigmurf: I may have to try that -- have been pulling the caps off for the last two trips and that is already too dang old (or it is me that is too dang old - I don't remember ! ) Thanks for the post and idea.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote