Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Adapting a BBQ Grill to a camper tank

We are looking for a small gas grill to hook to our camper propane tank. We have a hose and a tank regulator that will connect to a grill. At Lowe's the other evening, when the clerk started to ring up a grill we were planning to purhcase, a red flag came up that said it could only be used with the small canister only. As we look around the campground many are using their large tanks adapted dwown to the grill. Any advice.

kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Karen, you can get a "T" for your propane tank, a hose from most RV dealers or Camping world that will connect to the T and has the same fitting as the small bottles that will hook up to you BarB. It's an easy set up, let us know how it works out for you. I use ours all the time.

Dick

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...30336&src=SRQB

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...30342&src=SRQB
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:rldriver Posted - Jun 17 2007 : 10:42:14 PM
Karen, you can get a "T" for your propane tank, a hose from most RV dealers or Camping world that will connect to the T and has the same fitting as the small bottles that will hook up to you BarB. It's an easy set up, let us know how it works out for you. I use ours all the time.
Dick and Karen, that's is what I did for our Coleman RoadTrip LXE Grill. It works great. IMHO, my grill is a little too bulky. If I ever get another grill, it will be smaller grill like the Mini Weber Q grill.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:40 AM   #4
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Hey Karen. We got the Coleman Roadtrip Sportgrill at Meijers (also saw it at Walmart). It folds down into a smaller size for portability. So, how is the Big Sky? Everything you dreamed/hoped for? Am I correct in thinking the Big Sky has an extra propane connector FOR a grill? Were there any other changes you noticed that you didn't expect? We pick ours up the 30th and are getting so anxious. Drop me a note about your experiences. Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:19 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kwolff7

We are looking for a small gas grill to hook to our camper propane tank. We have a hose and a tank regulator that will connect to a grill. At Lowe's the other evening, when the clerk started to ring up a grill we were planning to purhcase, a red flag came up that said it could only be used with the small canister only. As we look around the campground many are using their large tanks adapted dwown to the grill. Any advice.
I got the stainless model from Lowe's for Xmas, along with a long adapter hose. The grill wouldn't work with the hose. I got another hose with adapter from Home Depot. It still wouldn't work. One more time, I found a 4' hose with adapter at Acacemy and it worked! Never did figure out why the others wouldn't work, but somehow they failed to release the safety mechanism in the valve. BTW, the stainless grill is a low quality SS and tends to get some light surface rust.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #6
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
I have 2 BBQs that hang on the side of my trailer. They are RVQs One is and RVQ1 which is a regular BBQ the other is an RVQ2 which is a flt grill. I had it plumbed for propane below my kichen slide. I just plug in turn on the gas underneath and cook away. Don't use them as much as I used to because I started dutch oven cooking. But usually use once each time out.
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Thanks for all your help. We want a small grill that we can adapt to our large propane tank and we were interested in the Coelman Road Trip Grill but also thought it seemed a little bulky to get in and out of the cargo space so I think we will look for the mini Weber Q grill. I think they have them at Home Depot. Have you seen them anyplace else Dick.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We're going to try to do this with our Weber Baby Q when we are in the Big Sky full time - probably will have time when we are in Maryland for 3-4 weeks in late July waiting for our grandson to be born.

We'll let you know how we make out and also looking forward to hear suggestions from others.

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We use a Weber Baby Q too. Works great!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:04 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We also use the Weber Baby-Q attached to the curb side propane tank with this adapter from CW.

http://tinyurl.com/38omzv

CW is real proud of this unit, they now want $64. I thought it was a lot of money when we paid $54.....This works perfect for us, I just loop the hose and put it in with the tank. When ready to use it, I loop the hose through the hole in the bottom of the tank bay and connect it to the grill.

Works great for us!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:00 AM   #11
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Thanks Robbie!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:57 PM   #12
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The only thing I would add is to get a propane gauge to go on the end of the extend-a-stay. This way, you can remove the hose from the tank with your hand instead of using tools and it does give a reasonable indication of the remaining amount of propane.

Here is a link to the Weber Q we have, along with the rolling cart:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00008RC2Q

BTW, the Weber Q sits perfectly on an upside down lid of a large Sterilite container, preventing any drips from staining the carpet of the basement.

Here is a link to the propane gauge:

http://www.barbecue-store.com/gaslow.htm
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Michael,

Those are real nice, but for $32.95 think I'll just switch to the reserve tank. Wish they were cheaper, sure look like a great idea.

Knowing the amount of propane in the tank at best is guess work, and a real pain.

I've learned that by using the curbside tank as the service tank and the other side as the reserve tank, I can have the best of both worlds. I know I can make it a long time on one tank, so when the service tank goes, I switch to the reserve tank...and then go fill the service tank.

Lookey there...just saved another $32.95!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #14
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
simonsrf - I didn't pay that much. I bought one at Lowes or HD, can't remember for about 12 bucks. Couldn't find anything thru their search engines, but wanted to post a pic of the device. The only reason I bought it was that I no longer need to get the wrench out when filling the passenger side tank.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Michael,

If it's only about $12, and you don't have to use the wrench....well, now I'm game to spend a little money...

Do you have a brand name or some other information that I might be able to find it....will look at Lowe's when I'm near one.

Thanks for the info.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #16
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Karen, check out the Olympian 4100 (Camping World). I've had one for years, and you can get replacement parts. Good luck on your hunt, Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:46 PM   #17
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
simonsrf,

Still can't get Lowes' search engine to work, so did some google searches:

http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=3023

http://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-Eme...241505-0019166

I'd still go to Lowe's where it was the cheapest.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:24 AM   #18
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Michael,

Will keep looking for this item, I think it would be real nice to be able to plan propane fill-up. Thank you for your research.

Robbie
Old 06-30-2007, 05:47 AM   #19
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Michael & Robbie you can get them at "Costco" for around $15.00 for two.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #20
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Thanks, Bill. I'll look at Costco.