Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Diesel Add Ons

To the General Membership. I just purchased the 2007 3500 6.7 turbo diesel. My question is three fold. Does anyone use a BD cool down timer? After a hard pull its suppose to be set for a safe cooler temp,just lock doors walk away and it will shut off the engine when it reaches preset temp. Secound question Has anyone used the Fuel/Water seperator Kit? To catch the extra water that can be in fuel from fuel station tanks? Third and last for now. Has anyone used the Workhorse Ultimate Diesel Power chip? Says its Warranty Friendly? Thanks for you opinions My hopes are I can help other newbies in the near future. Randye

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
If your 6.7 is the Cummins, I just got back from our Dodge dealer. I was talking to the service manager about the new 6.7. He said you can't chip the new motors or do any performance mods like chips or even a new aircleaner like a K&N. He told me there are 5 sensors in the exhaust system alone, and oil pan fume recirculation for example. He implied it's not a warranty issue but an operational one. He said "You can't modify this one like you can the 5.9". This may change later [my opinion]. You may want to research this carefully before making any changes. I doubt you will ever need the water separator kit unless you have a lot of water in the fuel in your area.

This guy has bombed [modified] his own Dodge truck.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
The cool down timer and water seperator cannot hurt and can have benefits. As for chipping your engine go to "Chips vs warranty " thread and there is a lot of insite there. Before doing ANY modification run it through your Dealer Service Manager.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you modify with the knowledge and cooperation of your dealer and service Mgr., get a guarantee IN WRITING that you have not violated the warranty. If they won't - then don't.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I forgot to mention in my earlier post, the service manager said something to the effect that just about any mods will void/restrict the warranty.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just in response to the cool down timer ... pulling into a rest stop or gas station, I usually walk around the fiver checking the wheel brgs for excessive heat, visual on tires, and just looking for that unusual something. By the time I've done that, 3 minutes or so has gone by ... adequate time for the turbo to cool. If it were me, I'd save your money for another project.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Thanks for the information, I never used any of those add ons, when I ran the 1995 5.9L and I had more weight on it than was suggested. I also waited two to three mins. before shutting it down and never had any problems with the turbo. I also drained the fuel filter Monthly. I haven't checked to see if this one has the petcock on the filter. Its a pleasure to hear other experiances that owners have had. Thanks again. Randye
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
My only add on is an EGT gauge which is useful for determining cool down time.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
My 07 D/A came with a 100k 5 year warranty. If it's good enough for GM as is, it's good enough for me.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We added the rain guards around the windows, and a bug shield. We also ordered a set of Dura flaps and of course they are awesome. Well we would never add any gadget to give more HP. GM spends millions on design and produce a awesome Truck. Again its the most powerful HD on earth, and doesn't need any type of gadgets. And they will not honor a warranty if they think it was caused by a add on. The GM Trucks are a mark of excellence. GBY......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #11
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Randye - I wouldn't touch that engine, It will have the same little lever for relieving the water as the 5.9 has. I think just using common sense on the cool down, most everyone lets their diesel just idle a few minutes to cool it down and seems to work fine for me. As far as a CHIP, that 6.7 should pull any MONTANA made without any further help. DON'T CHIP IT. Welcome to the forum and the Family!!!!!!!
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Randye - save you money and buy some cool chrome stuff . That 6.7 is the ultimate power machine and the only one that benefits from those gadgets are the gadget marketer. Why look for more power if you have all you could ever use. Cool down is just a driving habit for the most part - pulling off the highway, into a neighborhood, or even work is usually slow enough cruising to effectively cool down. If not, just let it run a bit.

A lot of sad stories out there when push comes to shove and the Dealer finds the chip or evidence it was there.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
No chip needed with my setup. I also just let the TV run while fueling or while I setup the trailer at CGs.

I do have a fuel prefilter that filter down to 2 microns. This is very important in my peace of mind. Diesel is a dirty product and needs to be cleaned up. The filter I use cost just 8 bucks and is near 11" tall, the height alone helps with water separation. My two cents. SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Hmmm...I'm kind of liking this idea of a prefilter. Where would such a product be mounted? Any more info about this?
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:41 AM   #15
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
My trauck alram has the cool down feature, it is a Viper. The cool down is important after a long run. I have a pryo guage on my truck. I let it cool down to 300 degrees. The purpose is that a hot turbo will cook the oil in the turbo. Never have had any problems with the turbo. As for the water in the diesel, as long as you get your diesel at a station that sells a lot for diesel you shouold have no worry. I have never had water in mine, but check it once a month to be safe.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Randye, the new 6.7 Cummins has either a petcock or knob. I'm not sure which. The manual shows how to drain it. I've just not yet done that as we've only had it less than two weeks and 1900 miles.

As for performance addons, this engine is so strong I see no need. At least not for me. As I said in another thread, the term that comes to mind for me is "freight train on steroids." Awesome towing engine and transmission.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote