Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
WalMart Etiquette

I am thinking of getting a couple of the 2k Honda generators and the dual hook up. Is it a violation of WalMart etiquette to use those in their parking lot? I would have to either run my power cord from the rear of my unit to my TV bed or take them back there. Hmmm. My cord may not be long enough.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB
2003 3575RL

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We run our generator from it's position in the back of the pickup. We have a Yamaha SEB 3000 and it is so quiet that I doubt too many people would hear it with all of the other Walmart noise. I know they run them at Flying J's all the time. You'd have to have your Hondas secured so no one would help themselves.

Judy
http://spaces.msn.com/bamatravelers/
http://bamatravelers.blogspot.com
Traveling with Glen and Greta in our 2004 Dodge dually and Montana 3380 RL

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:17 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I never run my generator when I'm parked just overnight in a Wal-Mart or Flying-J. I'm only there to sleep, not camp out.

Orv

Orv & Marge Schinke

2000 Montana 3555RL towed with '95 F-250 Diesel w/Banks Power Pack, TransCommand Module, Banks Exhaust Brake and Smart Lock Module, rear air bags, Trailer Saver Air Ride Hitch. Full-time, members of the Escapees RV Club. Summers in the midwest and winters in the southwest.

"Drive defensively. Be careful and be courteous."
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:31 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mike,
You may only have to run one, you could run a 12 Gauge cord back to the truck, the aluminum tool box modification would work well in this situation, it would be locked up and you wouldn't have to worry.
Do you have all of the adapters needed?
I would do what makes you and your family feel comfortable while there and not worry about it.
At 3:00 in the morning you will probably be greeted by the noise of the parking lot vacuum.

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:45 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
If you stop at a Walmart to "camp" in the southern states, you have to do something to keep cool and the generator is it.

Judy

Old 08-01-2006, 05:37 AM   #6
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
>>> I never run my generator when I'm parked just overnight in a Wal-Mart or Flying-J. I'm only there to sleep, not camp out.> you could run a 12 Gauge cord back to the truck,
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:56 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Nice thing about running a generator...it drowns out that 3 a.m. sweep and other traffic, too. At Flying J you need to run your generator or you don't get any sleep.

Judy

Old 08-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #8
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
I need electricity for a breathing machine I have to use at night so we have to run the generator.

Dennis & Sharon
04 3670
95 Ford CC DRW Diesel
Banks Power Pack
Transfer Flow Tanks
40gal ft-31 gal rear
Rhino Liner
www.picturetrail.com/tbhd

tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:21 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dennis, you might look into a small inverter and maybe Two Golf cart batteries.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:35 AM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
...I see yet another project in my future. Those golf cart batteries were discussed some time back for our rig, but we hadn't done enough roughing it to justify the expense. I like the idea of an inverter too!

Traveling the way some of you are I can see the need for a generator strong enough to run the air as well. Who can sleep in the heat?
We were at an art fair a month ago and there was a booth set up with some music playing. I didn't even notice he had a small Honda running. You had to stand right next to it to even hear it.

EDIT - @ MAMalody: Camping World sells a heavy black extension cord just like the one in your rig. We end up using ours a lot. You may need an adapter as well?

30 amp chord

327RKS
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:21 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
One more reason I find to pull into a campground. Unlike 99 and 44/100% of the Wal*Marts, truck stops and roadside rest areas all campgrounds have electric. As I [s]don't[/s] won't boondock I'd have no other use for a generator and at an average 30 bucks a nite I can stay in many many campgrounds before I'd begin to realize any kind of savings by having a 1000 dollar generator or 2. And as brought out in an earlier thread a whole lot safer.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I plan on pulling in and finding a nice area off to the side to get some shut eye. I know that I am staying in a parking lot either Wal*Mart or FlyinJ and there will be noise. I call it a trade off, "budget sleeping" or "luxury sleeping". To all is their own....

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dave, we've found that Cracker Barrel Restaurants offer one of the best parking places for overniting in an RV and they welcome us, especially since we usually eat breakfast before we leave, which makes everybody happy! They have a map available in the restaurant that shows the locations of all Cracker Barrels. It is usually much quieter there than at Flying J or Walmart.

Judy

Old 08-02-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
My husband also sleeps with a C-pap ( I think thats what it's called) and he bought a 12 volt adapter for it and plugged it into the 12 volt plug that is in our closet next to the antenna booster button. Battery lasted all night and said it was still fully charged. Hope this helps.

Bill & Stacy
Three Rivers, MI
04 Chevy 2500HD 8.1/A sb,cc,4x4
Spencer our German shorthair camping/hunting buddy
Prodigy
2006 3400rl spruce
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Judy,
Thanks for the idea, I never thought of Cracker Barrel. My mom really enjoys their food and gift shop. I will have to look them up online tonight and find them all between here and there. =)

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:44 PM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have also used Cracker Barrel, had a nice meal and a quiet night. Be sure and look the parking lot over before pulling in. We have seen some that were not rv friendly

"No matter where you go there you are"

Charlie & Nila
Fulltiming,formerly Hadley,MI
"presently in Hadley "
"2004" 3575RL
"2001" 2500HD, 8.1
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #17
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
"The Next Exit" book from Camping World lists all the Cracker Barrels and other businesses (in red) that are "RV Friendly."

Vicki Reigle ...
On the Road with Steve

A problem shared is half the problem;
A joy shared is twice the joy.

TIME FLIES ... USE IT WELL!

Our RV Travels
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:13 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, I am not sure whether you have a generator. If not, you might consider purchasing a small 12v fan to carry with you. In mid-September as you go through the midwest you may have some hot, humid weather. Or you may have beautiful weather. Never can tell. But, September can often be rather warm. You'd want some airflow to keep you from drowning in sweat while trying to sleep. There may be a 12v receptacle next to the TV antenna booster button. There is on ours, anyhow.

If by any chance you run your battery down overnight (not likely), fire up the engine on your truck and it should allow you to close the slides using power from the truck. The Fords do, anyhow, and I think yours would, too. I'm assuming you'll open the slides. If not, then disregard. The battery should also recharge while the engine is running.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #19
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
MAMalody..... I posted the following back in mid-July on another thread ("WallyWorld Overnighters") talking about WalMart RV parking. Don't know if you saw it, but here it is again.

Unofficial Guide to Overnight RV Parking at WalMart:

1 Don't stay if "No overnight parking" signs are posted. If you do, be prepared to be asked to leave during the night if you don't have prior permission. You might also be issued a citation by the local law.

2 If you arrive during store hours, always go in and ask for permission to park overnight. Get the name of the person you get permission from.

3 If you arrive after the store is closed, park in the furthermost corner away from the store. If you'll be arriving after hours and already know that you'll be staying at the store, call the store ahead of time for permission. Always get the name of the person you talked with.

4 Don't unhook your tow vehicle or towed-vehicle and leave the RV. This is not a campgound. It is okay to unhook however, if you have repairs that need to be made to the tow vehicle and you are taking it to a local shop for the repairs. Never do any repair work in the lot yourself.
Put something under your supports so they don't damage the parking lot surface. Discuss it with the store manager first, so that they know what is going on and they also may be able to direct you to a local reputable repair shop.

5 It's okay to open the slide-outs, but do not put down stabilizer legs, supports or jacks. It's understandable that you might need to open the slides to have access to areas inside your RV.

6 Never put outside any chairs, or other personal belongings. Do not open your awning. In otherwords, the only thing you own that should be visible is the RV and the tow vehicle.

7 Never cook outside of your rig.

8 No loud music or tv. Try to be as quiet as possible.

9 It's okay to use your generator in very short intervals. Never run it for more than absolutely necessary, and never after 10pm at night or before 7am in the morning.

10 If traveling with children, do not let them run around and play in the parking lot.

11 The dumping of ANY tanks in the parking lot is NOT okay. Report anyone who does to the store management right away.

12 Be good neighbors to the store. Purchase something during your time there.

13 Never stay more than one night. Period.
If you have a reason that it's absolutely necessary to stay more than one night, discuss it with the store manager.

14 Leave the area cleaner than you found it. Don't ever leave any trash.

15 Carry a pack of post cards with you. After you leave the store after staying the night, send one to the manager thanking him/her and noting that you purchased something while there (if you, in fact, did).

It all makes very good sense, doesn't it? We the RVers, should do everything possible so that Wal-Mart continues this gracious policy in towns where there aren't ordinances prohibiting it.

Doug & Margee
Davis,California
MOC-49
"On the Road Again.."
"Just Can't Wait to Get on the Road Again..."
2000 Dodge Ram SB 2500 4x4 Quad Turbo Cummings
2002 Montana 3295RK
2001 Onan 3600 (propane)

"The MOC isn't just a group of people, they're family".

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Margee, thanks for the excellent advice.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote