Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
t1mrtork
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1744
Send a message via MSN to t1mrtork
Dish set-up

Just a quick question I am sure has been asked before, but, I understand from reading some of other topics on the setting of elevation and skew (I have a dish 500), but the setting of the azimuth I am vague on. I am taking the dish off of my house roof because of remodeling and am trying to set it up at the camper. I will go get a compass and a signal meter tommorrow from what has been posted. And I can find the azimuth and the skew and elevation from the dish setup guide, but my base is off of the house and has a angle base to account for the roof pitch. I am mounting this on a stump next to the camper and am not sure where to start to find the azimuth and what needs to be level to start with. Should I level the post with the angle base first without the dish attached? And then mount the dish from there with the elevation and skew settings? But if my azimuth is 236 where does the zero setting start from, or is this evident on the compass when I see it? Thanks for any help you can give me. Terry

2004 Montana 3400rl w/Trail Air Pin Box
2005 Chevy 3500 DRW Crew cab Duramax/Allison w/Edge Juice and Attitude Monitor
Reese 16k & Prodigy Brake
Terry and Barb Thomas and Callie the camper cat
Pearl City, Il.

t1mrtork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:46 AM   #2
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
your zero setting is true north. just line your true north, and watch your degree markings to find your azimuth. site your dish at the azimuth angle per your instructions.
Plumb your post prior to starting. even though your dish was set on the roof, if the post if plumb, the angle and azimuth should all be the same.
Disclaimer- i am not a sat technician, but have used one for years and have reaimed my own. Other than that, used to site in 81mm mortars.

Jim, Angie and Anna the Wonder Retriever
2001 GMC Sierra 4X4, CC, D/A
2006 3295RK
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
get your post level I have a little level with a magenet on it just stick it to the post and turn to all four sides if it is level the rest is pretty easy have mine down to 3 minutes from start to tv anywhere we go so just practice a little and soon you will be giveing lessions too lol

tim ford
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Terry-
The only time you would want to reset any of the angles on the dish is if you have moved it a considerable distance. Just to relocate it from the stick house out to the Montana will not require any angle resets. The important thing is to make sure the post is level side to side and front to back, makes it easy to find the satellite. A good compass will help, but the satellite finder will make it easy.

The azimuth, the direction you need to point the dish LNB, for Pearl City, Il. is 214 degrees on the compass. If you need any further assistance let me know, will be glad to walk you through it.

Charlie
2001 F-250 Lariat SC 4x2 LB 7.3L PSD
BD Power ECM 80 HP Performance Chip
BD Power X-Monitor LED Digital Gauges
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
2005 3295RK

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
t1mrtork
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1744
Send a message via MSN to t1mrtork
Thanks Charlie, I bought a compass, but couldnt find a signal meter in town today. Ill try with the compass tonight and order one of those satellite finders that you look thru that someone was talking about on another thread. They said it made finding a hole int the trees alot easier. thanks again. terry

2004 Montana 3400rl w/Trail Air Pin Box
2005 Chevy 3500 DRW Crew cab Duramax/Allison w/Edge Juice and Attitude Monitor
Reese 16k & Prodigy Brake
Terry and Barb Thomas and Callie the camper cat
Pearl City, Il.
t1mrtork is offline   Reply With Quote