Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
Montana_3939
Established Member

M.O.C. #3939
Drivetrain vibration

Hi folks. Back on Aug 17 I asked about the vibration. After noting the responses to the Chev dealer, they replaced the 2 piece driveshaft with a one piece, brand new. Pulled our 3280rl about a mile and a half and decided I better pull over ,now, to find that new noise. At the stop point a bang thump and smoke, BUT safely off the roadway. Driveshaft broke in half from rubbing slightly on the old mount crossmember and getting hot. The now known rubbing didn't start righ away in parking lot or up to the first stop sign. Just on the straight smooth macadam road. SO,towed back to the dealers for more troubleshooting next Tuesday. Everybody safe, but very frustrating afternoon waiting for tow trucks. Two kind 5vr folks turned around from their travels (not towing) to ask if they could be any help. Well if your out there this weekend, have a great holiday. This message is for FYI and let you know what develops. Thanks all, Earl

Montana_3939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I do not think going to a one peice long drive line will work. A common problem in drive lines is alignment of the yokes. They need to be perfectly in line all the way back. And I hate to say it drivelines get blamed for a lot of problems when in fact there are a lot of other items that actually cause the vibrations. I have seen a weak injector cause what feels like problems in the drivetrain. It can go on and on just make sure the mechanics working on your TV are competant. If you do not like the dealer get a different one. The wrong dealer can end up costing you a bunch!
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Just remembered a case where a shop I worked at completely rebuilt the rear end and did not find a problem. I took it for a test drive and turned out to be a bad front wheel bearing. It sound like a rear end problem to me as well, but I knew all the work already done. So looked deeper. And that is my sugestion...look deeper.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Earl

We had the one piece drive shaft installed on ours. The problem we had was a shudder on start up when pulling. The one piece will work as we have 100,000 miles on it now. Sounds like to me that they didn't remove the bearing bracket. Gm has a detailed report on how to remove the bracket. Don.t let them cut your cross member into. hope this helps you. Not seeing the truck I'm just guessing on the problem.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
Montana_3939
Established Member

M.O.C. #3939
Just picked up the truck from Chev dealer this afternoon. New one piece driveshaft installed and removed alison to replace tail piece. Will try out with hauling asap and then update forum. Thanks for all the help and supportive information through the last month. Earl
Old 09-26-2005, 02:52 PM   #6
Montana_3939
Established Member

M.O.C. #3939
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by june2005

Hi folks. Back on Aug 17 I asked about the vibration. After noting the responses to the Chev dealer, they replaced the 2 piece driveshaft with a one piece, brand new. Pulled our 3280rl about a mile and a half and decided I better pull over ,now, to find that new noise. At the stop point a bang thump and smoke, BUT safely off the roadway. Driveshaft broke in half from rubbing slightly on the old mount crossmember and getting hot. The now known rubbing didn't start righ away in parking lot or up to the first stop sign. Just on the straight smooth macadam road. SO,towed back to the dealers for more troubleshooting next Tuesday. Everybody safe, but very frustrating afternoon waiting for tow trucks. Two kind 5vr folks turned around from their travels (not towing) to ask if they could be any help. Well if your out there this weekend, have a great holiday. This message is for FYI and let you know what develops. Thanks all, Earl
Old 09-26-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
Montana_3939
Established Member

M.O.C. #3939
You're probably tired of hearing about this but they got it right finially. Only a month to change to a one piece driveshaft using extended warrenty policy and a authorized Chev dealer. We should be leaving this weekend. Thanks to all. Earl
Old 09-27-2005, 04:59 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good deal, Earl. I think this kind of thing is of interest to many of us. Thanks for the report. Have a good trip.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote