Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Ram: finally fixed the bad front end

Well, at least I thought it was the front end. For the last two years plus I've been dealing with an issue where the Dodge would get kinda skittish when I hit a rough spot in the road. I know some Rams have had an issue with the front end so I just figured it was that. Had most of the parts replaced to no avail. Finally I just accepted it as the way my truck will be. I didn't feel it was dangerous just annoying.

Forward two years. Since I'm leaving for a 4000 mile trip I took the truck in for service. Tech came back and asked If I had any problems with braking. "Well, on occasion under very heavy braking with a heavy load it felt like it was skipping a bit, but it has only happened a couple times." Turns out the schmuck that I've been taking my cars to for years decided they weren't going to use OEM pads and not tell me. These pads were almost flat on the edges rather than cut at an angle. Think of a foot, the ends where the toes and heel are should be cut at an angle all the way across not flat to the ends, as these pads were. He said under heavy braking the flat edges will bind up and you can get some skipping. Not only did the brake job fix the problem I've only experienced a couple times (I hope) but the front end feels fantastic! Hit some rough patches on the way home and she didn't skip at all. Put the truck camper on (no Monty on this trip) and drove about 60 miles and she was perfect! Finally after 2 years and about $2k in front end work a $200 brake job fixed the issue! I have a theory what was happening but I've typed enough!

Should be a much better trip now!

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:41 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Must make you feel good to be done with that. Sad that you can't trust folks to at least ask if you want cheap parts anymore.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote