Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
3750FL EMS Installation with Photos

As discussed in yesterdays post, I am providing some photos to document the installation process for the Progressive Industries 50 Amp Hard-Wired Electrical Monitoring System. The location was decided upon after some information gathering from Keystone-Montana with regards to the generator installation specifics.
1) Based on this information the location was selected behind the first basement panel which just so happened to be directly behind the entryway coat closet by the main entry door to the rig:

2) Once the panel was removed, the Progressive Dynamics Automatic Transfer Relay Switch was easily seen. This switch was part of the Onan 5.5 kW generator installation and provides a readily available location to tap into the system power feed:

3) Here is closeup of the Automatic Transfer Switch with and without the front cover in place. The orange feed on the right is the generator feed, the black feed on the right is the shore power feed and the black wire on the left is the output wire where the EMS was tied into:

4) The initial installation was done with the EMS being located directly below the autoswitch. Wiring was straight-forward with documentation provided on the inside cover of both units:

5) The units were then fitted with their covers and it was thought that the installation was almost complete:

6) Unfortunately, not enough foresight and planning had went into the EMS location. When the basement panel was put back, it became readily apparent that the basement electrical outlet was located directly in the way. As a result the EMS had to be relocated to the lower left corner of the area and the wiring re-routed above it as shown here:

7) The last part of the installation was to attach and wire the remote readout display that was a feature of the EMS. The location was easily selected as inside the coat closet where the display is readily available, yet not in plain sight as a distraction. Here is a couple of views including a close-up:

Overall, I am very pleased with the installation. After everything was completed, the generator was fired up and the remote readout display unit was checked to make sure of proper installation. The entire ordeal lasted about two hours with the most difficult part being the basement access and fitting my body in there while doing the work!! I hope the photo documentation is sufficient if anyone else chooses to do this type of installation on this particular rig model. I will be following this up in a couple of weeks with documentation of the Hughes Autoformer installation. It will be in the same general vicinity, but will be behind the next basement panel which provides access to the area beneath the stairs to the living room where the Autoformer will be placed.
Bingo

On Edit: Carriage Returns (CR) added between images in topics 3 and 7 to avoid excessive right scrolling. CRAFT-Guy

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks for all the pics, that's a nice looking installation. Crawling in those basements can be hard on the body can't it?
If I read this correctly you mounted the EMS after the transfer switch? Is this what Progressive recommends?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Charlie,
This is the same way that I had the EMS installed in the 3400RL. I want the EMS after the switch so that it is monitoring both the generator power and the shore feed. On the 3400RL I did have to jumper the neutral and ground together inside the switch on the generator feed (external gasoline powered generator then) based on Progressive's guidance, but the Onan did not require it. I fail to see what the location of the EMS before or after the switch would make any difference as the switch is not changing the input power any, just switching it?? The autoformer will be a different situation as it will be installed only on the shore power input and isolated from the generator feed.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Nice job Bingo. Your installations raises some questions in my mind that I will research on my own. Thanks.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Nice install!

We have the same unit, and the only negative thing I can say about it is they need to redesign the remote readout so telephone cord plugs into the back. That way, the hole you drill for it would be covered up by the readout.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Gotta agree with you on that one Tom, I do plan to add a rubber grommet to at least partially disguise the hole. I was fortunate in that I had a lip where the readout was mounted which also partially obstructs the direct view of the hole.
Bingo

Old 10-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Nice lookin install you'll get a lot use out of both those upgrades with your new Montana!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 AM   #8
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Bingo,
To highjack this thread, what is plugged into your cable connection in your first picture. As you described in your email, the satellite wiring is behind the panel. Correct? Or, are you watching TV as you work?
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:15 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Joe,
That is the jumper that is used to carry the satellite feed over to the connection for the television (beneath the 12V connection plug) that would be in the basement. There is also two other jumpers just like those in the convenience center as I described in the PM to you (living room and bedroom feeds). I you look at the second picture, you can see the two black and one gray coax feeds that come down from the satellite dish. A black and a gray run across the rig to the convenience center (connections can be seen on the "You gotta see this thread"), and the other black connects to the back of hte connection that is jumpered in the first picture.
Bingo

Old 11-01-2010, 04:32 AM   #10
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Got it....
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote