Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #1
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
Sliding door problem solved.

On the three trips we have taken with our 05-3295RK, the sliding door from the living area to the bath area keeps comming loose during traveling. The reason I know is the retaining snap is always undone. I have had to enter the 5er during fuel stops to a cold one (soda) from the fridge and the door is closed. I make sure the retaining strap is secure, but when arriving at our destination if has come un-snapped again. To remedy the problem, I bought an adjustable tension rod at Wal-mart to place between the door and the opposing jamb to prevent the door from braking the retaining snap and move freely. I had to use my dremel to cut off enough of the rod to fit the door opening. Too bad the manufacturer didn't put a retaining pin like on the double doors in the bedroom.

Gary

Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 03:19 PM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I added a second strap and it has solved my problem.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 06:00 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary, this was on our original list for our dealer for our 3295rk, also. What he did was move the snap around the corner, onto the living room side, then replaced the strap with a longer one. With the strap now going around the corner and snapping there, we've not had one single recurrence in two years, including 16 months of fulltiming and probably 15,000 or more miles. This has been discussed here before. You'd think Keystone would have picked up on this and changed the design. Thanks for bringing this up again.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:32 AM   #4
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Thats a strange one, Steve, you had to modify yours, My 04 is already like that with the snap pulled around to the living room side so that the strap pulls sideways on the snap and holds it, then in 05 they went back to the old way? what gives?
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:41 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Flastro,

I'll take bets on a different installer on the assembly line. ??????????
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:31 AM   #6
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Yep...me too. ya got one that knows how to do the right thing, and some who take the easy road...
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 06:10 AM   #7
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Iam looking at this like a car it depends on how the help feels when they come to work maby hung over and the quality control isnt watching them, if it is complete its ok
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:56 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
There may not be a "standard" for the installation of the straps.

I have been told there is none, for the little circles/knobs at the bottom of the day/night shades. I studied those little knobs real hard one day in our 3295 and found that the cords were wrapped to the left on some and the right on some, some shades had 2 to the left, and other other shades had 2 to the right. When we were in Goshen, I asked about this, wondering if this made a difference in how the shades hung. If you had 2 to the right, would it pull to the right?? That kind of logic (or lack thereof). I asked specifically if there was a "standard" in the plant, should the cords be wrapped to the left on the left and to the right on the right. I was told it was probably just who installed, and basically they said there was no standard.

I would guess there is no standard for this strap on the doors. These straps have been around for a long time, and always seem to present the same kind of difficulty (they remind me of those "tank full or empty indicators", just never work real hot). For the TT and the 5er, we found that by eliminating any slack in the length of the plastic, we did not have any more troubles. So, almost the day we brought our unit home, Al cut the strap shorter, redid the snaps, etc. and no problem. The strap has to be snug, no play.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 05:42 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I added a strap to the top and bottom and have not had any problems with that since.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote