Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
using 2 pc's

I have verizon wireless on my computer, is it possible to use another wireless pc without having a verizon card installed in the 2nd pc? would a router of some type work? even if it can be done? thanks

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Yes if you put your verizon modem in a router and then use the WIFI option on the router both computer can connect as long as they both have WIFI capability.
Or, you can spend more money for a router that will accept the verizon modem and cable connect either or both computer to the router.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Tom, yes. I have the UM150 USB verizon card for my laptop, when traveling. At home I have the USB card plugged into the Cradlepoint CTR350 Router, and my desk top hooked up with the ethernet cable. Also we have a I-Touch wireless hooked up, so 3 different devices off one USB card and the router. The only reason I am using the ethernet cable is the desktop does not have wireless hardware in it.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
thanks fellows for the quick info
tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Do a search on "proxy wireless network" without the quotes. More complicated but doable.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
The MAC allows you to share an internet connection from the aircard out trough the airport. My aircard is plugged into an IMac and Vikki and the grandkids have access on their laptops where ever they are in the house (or trailer when we are on the road.) I'm not sure if typical windows PC's have this capability but it would be worth looking into.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I have not done it due to useing the router option. But Windows has a peer to peer option when setting up a home network. Sorry I do not know more about it.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tom, I use a desk top, that doesn't have wireless, and have a Phoebus router with an air card plugged into it and linked to the desk top via an ethernet cable. I use my laptop wifi and receive secure signal from my router. I can also get wifi in a CG when there is no signal for my aircard. Only problem there is DW doesn't get internet (hers is the desktop).

The team at the 3Gstore.com are very helpful and they ship very quickly. Give them a try if you need something. They can also hook you up with the latest and greatest..... Good luck!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
THe easiest method is as previously described: get a router from 3gstore.com. However, you can "bridge" in Windows XP. Kinda complicated, but you can get the detailed instructions from microsoft.com - search for bridging network.

When we were in Lake Havasu, we paid for one Wifi conection (Verizon didn't have data support there). I bridged my computer, with two wireless network cards (one built in and the other added) and then set my wife's computer to 0.0.0.0 to my internal card.

The problem with doing it this way is that you have to watch your bridge and adjust as necessary. The BEST way is to call Alex at 3gstore and get a router that accepts a cellular data card for your network.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote