Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #21
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
All we can say about this discussion is WHEW! Ormee--we know that section of the road--your heart must have about stopped when you saw that Big Sky breathing down your neck! Jack--thanks for all the research and links. We will be heading to WA and know those passes can be wicked. And we won't even talk about the ones in CO. Had a friend whose entire shipment of household goods went over the edge in Wolf Creek Pass during a snow storm. Nothing salvageable. Since we have spent a large part of our lives in PA, upstate NY and CO we have a healthy respect for what can happen to the roads when winter storms hit. Our preference is not to be on the roads when conditions get ugly. Thus far we have been able to exercise that preference. Stay safe folks--and just weigh all your options before you head out into bad weather. There is no shame in "hunkerin' down for the duration."

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:33 PM   #22
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bill,

Wolf Creek pass stands between me and our new Monty expected Dec or early January. After your story, I think I'll plan on bringing it home via southern New Mexico! Or else con the transport guy into dropping it off in my driveway before he goes over Wolf Creek.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #23
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
Jack, Thanks for doing that research on the three states. It will help us when we head south in Jan. But I will wait to travel until the weather forcast is good. (Hope we don't have to wait all month)
Ken.
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:58 AM   #24
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
As promised, I went back and looked at all these web sites this AM. Lots of great data there, I particularly like the one from the Oregon State Police. I would like to have some of that posted on the side or back of my car when I am forced out in nasty weather! Have to love the no nonsense approach and verbage! For example:

"The single most important thing to remember when driving in inclement weather is: You must slow down!"

Boy, oh boy, got to love that one!

Yep, good sites Jack, and again, thank you for posting them!

Be safe out there MOC members, we are family here ya know, hate to hear of family hurt.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:43 AM   #25
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Carol,
Seriously, I did not take offense to anything you posted earlier. It is through these discussions, some of them lively, that all of us exchange information & ideas and something said might just be the right thing to turn on the light bulb. I truly do understand the "getting older" thing and realizing our limitations as I have been watching my parents grow older. I also know that my limitations are not yours and yours not mine. Right now though, I feel confident that if I were placed in the situation and had to drive in conditions like these, with the use of the proper equipment, common sense and caution, I could handle it. But believe me, I will not go out and look for a snowy and icy mountain pass just to test my abilities. You are right when you say our lives are worth more than that. There may come a time when I don't have a choice so to be armed with the best information I can at least make sure I am prepared.

Jack
Old 11-15-2006, 05:41 AM   #26
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks Jack,

I agree, these lively discussions, can teach us something, if we let them! This I believe has been a good one!

I think Al and I could still handle a driving situation which calls for chains and such, but, I hope we NEVER have to find out! And, hopefully you will not either!

Thanks again for a great discussion.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:50 AM   #27
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
On the Trailer Life Fifth-wheels forum the other day there was a guy from CO that had posted a video of his and his friends 5ers departing from their hunting camp up in the mountains of CO. They had about 6 to 12+ inches of snow on the ground and on the road. These guys had all four tires of their 4x4 TVs, all four tires of the 5ers, and the tires of the utility trailers attached to the 5ers with their quad-runners on the trailers chained up. To many chaines for me!!

I don’t like to use chains, that’s why I purchased a 4x4 TV… and that’s why I will stay away from cold weather when towing!!
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote