Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2006, 06:22 AM   #21
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

We park ours in the driveway too, no cover, but we live in Michigan. Have to say after spending some time in Texas that if we lived there year round, we might be sorely tempted to add something like Dave or bpierce are talking about. Let me say, if we lived any where south of the Mason-Dixon line.
So true. When we lived in AZ we needed to have AC in the garage for 6 months of the year just to open the hood on the cars...

315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:47 AM   #22
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
My husband built a pole barn 64x64 with 2 16' tall sliding doors at each end. So our camper can be pulled in and set up. It really keeps it nice and clean & out of the sun.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:04 AM   #23
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have ours just parked out on the side of our driveway...we were considering buying the empty lot next door but never did ...now we are thinking about it again..but in the mean time it is out in the elements and gets washed every month from March to Oct.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:19 AM   #24
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
It is really amazing the volunteer help that you can get if you offer to supply the refreshments in a brown bottle!! I am still in shock over the speed that this project has come together. I would have expected it to take me a week, and it would have without the help. It is great to have friends you can count on, I really owe them all a favor!! I parked my truck inside for a size reference, the truck is a 4x4 with 35" tires, so it sets up a little higher than a stock truck. I thought that bringing the sides down 6' would keep most of the sun off of the unit (the building runs east/west) and still allow easy access for loading and unloading. I still need to run an underground conduit for my electric service but I may wait until the unit comes in so I can see where the best location will be to mount the outlet box. Then I will need to do something about leveling the floor, the back end is about 2' lower than the front. I don't have any experience with retaining walls and my volunteers today really didn't know much about them either. I may have to hire that part done.

bpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:00 AM   #25
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
WOW !! That looks GREAT !!! I still don't see why a 2' drop from one end to the other is problem. As long as you are relatively level side to side, you're going to level the unit front to back with the nose anyway. Rather than a retaining wall you may want to consider building up the "floor" later with road base, gravel, or even concrete and level it then.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:19 PM   #26
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
The 2ft slope isn't hurting anything, I just think it would look better eventually having a retaining wall and gravel leveling it out, maybe a concrete slab after I can recuperate from the $$ it took for the structure! I probably would have gone that way to begin with, but I was in a hurry to have something to park in, these NE Texas summer storms that come through have had some hail in them lately. Not something I would be happy about on a brand new unit!

Bryan
Old 06-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #27
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Bryan....is it 14' at the front or back?
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #28
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
Charlie, it is 14' at the front center, about 16' rear center and walls are 12'. That means that if I can center my trailer (12' 9" at top of second AC by the specs) in the shed, the clearance height of the shed above the sides of the trailer should be about 13'. Those dimensions seemed to be the most appropriate for being big enough without using lots of extra materials!

Bryan
Old 06-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #29
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Your dimensions are very close to what mine are, you should not have a problem with the Montana fitting underneath,.....the picture of it looks good.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:05 PM   #30
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great job!! When I built mine, I made the slab 40' x 20'. I put the low point along the side at 15' so that I could get on top and work under cover. The extra 4' allows me to park the truck under cover too. I don't have a stick house attached or anywhere. I had to run 250' of electrical cable underground and that much water line, but we have full hookup in the middle of a grove of shade trees overlooking a pond through the rear window.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:43 AM   #31
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Nicely done, Bryan. That's looks like a nice piece of property that you have, too.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:19 AM   #32
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
Thanks for the compliments guys, I am really proud of the way it turned out! Now I can't wait to get something to park in it......will it be 6/10 or 6/12 or ????
Old 06-05-2006, 04:58 AM   #33
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The interlocking Windsor Stones are very attractive. Here's a flower bed I did with some from Home Depot. I've also used railroad cross ties as a "real" retaining wall, but that can be a lot of work because you really need to run one 90 degrees to the wall every once in a while or the ground will eventually just push it over.

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:20 AM   #34
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
Vanman, that is almost exactly the look that I would like to have on my retaining wall, would you mind sharing some advice on ground prep, do I need to have some sort of foundation for the stones to set on? I am particularly curious about how you went from 2 stones high near the building to 5 high on the outer curve while keeping the top layer fairly level.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:39 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have always stored our campers along side the house for the winter.For the upcoming winter we will be storing the Montana in Yuma, Arz and the RGV. We will store ourselves with it
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote