Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Portable RV washing system

Anybody out there have experience with using a portable pump, that can run off our electric outlets when having the generator on? I see all kinds of wimpy 12V setups on Amazon, but they get huge dings in their reviews. I was hoping to find one that is electric, and can draw from a 5 gallon bucket, and has 20+ feet of hose, so i can spray the top of my RV. The reason for all of this, is most campgrounds, don't let you wash your RV, and the storage facility where I store it has no electric or water supply. I can soap the RV down with a brush, but need a way to rinse it after soaping it up.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You might consider a 12 vdc sprayer. I have been using one like this for many years for my yard. You could add more hose.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...sprayer-15-gal

5 gallons of water on that 40' trailer would not go far.

And there is a good reason RV parks generally do not allow washing. I was at one a few years ago when a guy across from us washed his trailer... and flooded his site and the site on either side.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Bill, I agree with RV parks not allowing washing, but my home is in the mountains of Lake Tahoe, and it is not so easy getting the 5th wheel up here to wash, and this year especially, we have 10 foot high snow walls surrounding our homes. So the only place to wash it, is at the storage yard, they let you go out in this middle area to do things like that, but there are no water or electric hook-ups. So I plan on using my generator, and maybe just a submersible pump in a few 5 gallon buckets. We can go get water by the office, but it is too far to run a hose way out to the RV, plus they might put a kabosh on it, if people were hooking hoses up to it all the time. But I figure they won't mind if I get 4 or 5 buckets of water?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
BiigDaddy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18932
So...Could you possibly add a spigot at the fresh water drain (I did) and fill your fresh water tank at the office. Go to the area you can hose your Monte off at and hook up a 12V marine pump from Harbor Freight to a hose connected to your fresh water drain spigot. Connect the pump to your battery/12v outlet. Hook a hose and spray nozzle to the marine pump.

Full fresh tank>spigot>hose>marine pump>hose and spray nozzle.

I'm thinking it's not stupid if it works.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-ga...ump-63324.html
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
RV Wash

I wash mine with the on board pump from my fresh water tank through the outside shower outlet in the convenience center.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #6
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooth ferry View Post
I wash mine with the on board pump from my fresh water tank through the outside shower outlet in the convenience center.
This makes far more sense than hauling 5 gal buckets!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Ditto.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
Excellent idea. Now why didn't I think of that?
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Will it spray good enough pressure thru a 30-50 foot hose with a spray nozzle on the end?
Old 03-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
I use Aero Cosmetics WashWax All - waterless system that's easy and works well.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:02 AM   #11
BiigDaddy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18932
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
Will it spray good enough pressure thru a 30-50 foot hose with a spray nozzle on the end?
That was my thinking when I suggested the 12v marine pump. That pump has a strong output.
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #12
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
How about using the fresh water tank drain hose as a water supply to a satellite high pressure pump.

Only problem that I can see is if the pump draws water volume quicker than the tank can take on air volume through the vent and collapse the tank, so maybe you would have to use some kind of a high pressure/low volume nozzle spray wand.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #13
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have 55Gal plastic drum I picked up used at a car wash. Filled on it's side with water in the back of my PU parked up hill a little it gravity feeds the gas power washer. I use this method when I clean Grave Stones
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote