Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
Jay J

M.O.C. #22375
Montana / Mountaineer

What was the difference in the Montana and the Montana Mountaineer?
Was it change of ownership?
Was it an option or simply different floor plans?
My wife likes the floor plan of the 295rkb more than our previous choices.
Happy wife happy life Thanks

Jay J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Jay, welcome to the board! We've owned both the Mountaineer and Montana, the Mountaineer is lighter and has less options. Think of it as a Montana "lite". Never had any issues with either one, outside of normal wear. when our kids outgrew the bunkhouse, we traded the mountaineer in. If DW likes the floor plan, keep her happy

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #3
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
We have a mountaineer and it has a 10 in frame compare to 12 on the Montana, We do not get the fiberglass back cap unless We got the full paint option, But We do get most everything the Montana has with the moving to Montana package with full wood cabinets. The mountaineer was around when the first high country came out and the high country had even lighter construction with fake wood cabinets and was more of a 3/4 ton truck camper at that time but was not popular at first, but now they dropped the mountaineer and the high country moved into that position and offers the same as the mountaineer did. So it come down to The full Montana with all the options and a heaver frame or the high country with a lighter frame and less options, but both can have full paint and i think the fiberglass back cap with the legacy option.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
We have a mountaineer and it has a 10 in frame compare to 12 on the Montana, We do not get the fiberglass back cap unless We got the full paint option, But We do get most everything the Montana has with the moving to Montana package with full wood cabinets. The mountaineer was around when the first high country came out and the high country had even lighter construction with fake wood cabinets and was more of a 3/4 ton truck camper at that time but was not popular at first, but now they dropped the mountaineer and the high country moved into that position and offers the same as the mountaineer did. So it come down to The full Montana with all the options and a heaver frame or the high country with a lighter frame and less options, but both can have full paint and i think the fiberglass back cap with the legacy option.
Most HC units have the 12" frame. At nearly 43' and over 15,000# it is needed.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #5
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I know some are 10", Sorry i miss that one, but as i was talking about when the mountaineer was still made comparing to the Montana as the OP was asking.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
We had an older Mountaineer and liked it. We would have bought a Montana if they had made the High Country 381TH floor plan in the so called upgraded trim package of the Montana....

If they start building them we will trade up if the difference justifies it
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
BubbaLynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #10139
We still own our 2010 295rkb and there are only two things we don't like about it.
#1 you have to pull out the recliner/rockers to the middle of the floor to see the TV and put them back against the wall again to pull out the sofa bed.
(and they are heavy and hard to move)
#2 You can't get into the kitchen area (without climbing over the counter top) or the fridge at all with the living room slide in)
Other than that we love it.
BubbaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
FYI. I think before around 2013, the Montanas had 10 inch frames. The Mountaineer still had them until they stopped production. The the earlier Montanas had the same frame as the last Mountaineers.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Basically the Mountaineer went away and the high country took over from Keystone's point of view.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #10
GA Mountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11997
The Mountaineer was a separate model line. The floor plans were a bit different, and they had less options. The Mountaineer’s weren’t as fancy as the Montana's. They did not have the granite counter top or the rear cap, and the woodwork inside isn’t as fancy.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD
GA Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:50 AM   #11
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Mountaineer View Post
The Mountaineer was a separate model line. The floor plans were a bit different, and they had less options. The Mountaineer’s weren’t as fancy as the Montana's. They did not have the granite counter top or the rear cap, and the woodwork inside isn’t as fancy.

Maybe we need a little more research here because Our 2014 has solid surface tops and my wood work is solid wood not the cheap stuff. We have the Better living package and moving to Montana options. I dont have a rear cap, full paint, or chrome hardware bath faucets. We have a 10 in frame and standard pin box upgrade to morryde. And we looked at the high country for that year and it had the cheaper cabinets and the dinet was built in not free standing like the mountaineer. so we went with the current choice because it was almost a full montana but not the full price and better quality than the high country. But a higher price and weight.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #12
GA Mountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
Maybe we need a little more research here because Our 2014 has solid surface tops and my wood work is solid wood not the cheap stuff. We have the Better living package and moving to Montana options. I dont have a rear cap, full paint, or chrome hardware bath faucets. We have a 10 in frame and standard pin box upgrade to morryde. And we looked at the high country for that year and it had the cheaper cabinets and the dinet was built in not free standing like the mountaineer. so we went with the current choice because it was almost a full montana but not the full price and better quality than the high country. But a higher price and weight.
Our 2011 does not have the granite counter top. Looks like granite from above, but is not. Looks a lot like fiberglass from the under side. The cabinets are real wood, but plainer. Same with the table & chairs. Hard to explain the difference now, but when it was sitting next to the full Montana and you went in one and then the other it was easy. I think the 2011 full Montana also had the slam latch storage bay doors, we don’t, and level up wasn’t even an option. Were not “Bling” people so we like it, and it’s been a good trailer. By 2014 in sure some more of the options had filtered down to the Mountaineer.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD
GA Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:24 AM   #13
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
We do have slam latches and the counters are solid surface, When we compared the Montana to the Mountaineer to the high country, we picked the mountaineer as you could not really tell the difference between the two and the high country was not the same at all. If i were to remove the mountaineer stickers and put a rear cap on the only way you could see that this was not a full Montana is the bathroom fixtures are that bone color plastic not chrome and get under the unit and measure the frame. Also our unit has a movable kitchen island and it the only 5ver i have ever seen with that option.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:05 AM   #14
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
We have a 2013 Mountaineer 358RLT and love the floor plan. We bought the Mountaineer because the Montana's close floor plan had split bath room and we wanted combined bath.
The last Mountaineer was a 2014 and I believe the Legacy was introduced in 2015. My study is the Montana became the old Mountaineer and the old Montana options became the Legacy.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:00 PM   #15
BubbaLynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #10139
Our Mountaineer has Corian (r) solid surface counter-tops and fairly nice real wood cabinets.
The only cheap part with the cabinets is the thin lattice in front of the covey hole above the microwave which we don't use anyway.
The covey hole that is.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #16
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
Our 2010 326RLT Mountaineer has the Hickory package. All cabinet doors in the kitchen, living room, bath and bedroom are solid hickory. Including hickory facia covering on the slide out interrior frames 1 by 6 trim which is over one inch pvc.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #17
Caniel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21610
We have a 2010 Mountaineer. In addition to what BubbaLynn said any bounce or bumps are magnified at the rear of a trailer. There's been a few roads that have taken out correlle ware plates, broke cups in the cupboard over the sink. After being on a rough road we are real careful when opening the fridge as well. And that was traveling below the speed limit..

Caniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #18
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
We lost plates from the cabinet above the table on our first long trip too. So we bungie the door handles. Fridge has never came open. We've unrolled the toilet paper roll a few times too. Take a round plastic container like metamucil comes in and cut it to the length of a roll of toilet paper and cut the ends out. Make a full cut on one side so that it opens up. Put it around the toilet paper roll and it will never unroll. Some roads are rough.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #19
BubbaLynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #10139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniel View Post
We have a 2010 Mountaineer. In addition to what BubbaLynn said any bounce or bumps are magnified at the rear of a trailer. There's been a few roads that have taken out correlle ware plates, broke cups in the cupboard over the sink. After being on a rough road we are real careful when opening the fridge as well. And that was traveling below the speed limit..
Yup I'll agree with that, even have had broken eggs when we opened the fridge door dripping all over the place.
We solved the plate problem by putting a non slip rubber drawer liner in the bottom of the cabinet and stacking a paper plate between each of the normal plates.
The cups I ended up putting three cups face down around a plastic salt shaker and banding it all together with my old boot blousing bands from my time in the Marine Corps (many moons ago) but I'd bet a thick rubber band would do the same.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We started bunging the cabinet doors in 2006. We do have the Mor Ryde IS system and IMO that smooths out the ride so nothing moves around in the Montana when in travel.We have accidentally left a cup of drink on the counter and it is still there a couple of hundred miles down the road with not a drop spilled.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote