Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2020, 07:12 AM   #41
d1999aads
Established Member

M.O.C. #20626
Hi, I just noticed my 2017 HC 305rl is leaking over the fridge side... is there any update on this? I called Lakeshore RV and the service manager knew nothing about this....????.... I have a call into my local Dealer to see what they know.... Any action in a class action suit or is Keystone going to fix this issue that is very well documented?? Thanks

New Saliuns g-ply
d1999aads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:50 AM   #42
SterlingSilver
Established Member

M.O.C. #22445
leaking cable slide motor gearbox

Just my take but I had the same problem with all 3 of my gearboxes. Looks like they maybe were just a little overfilled and heat expanded the grease and forced some out. This is IMO totally a no brainer. They have a drip pan available that attaches below the gear box. It will suffice for any lube that seeps out. The problem is kind of self limiting. Any other fix will do more damage than it's worth. Keystone will send you the pans and you can put them on as I did because absolutely no one come in my RV and screws with it. If you have time to do a lot of chasing around and trying to get compensation of some sort for this, then more power to you. I would rather be out camping.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:24 AM   #43
d1999aads
Established Member

M.O.C. #20626
Excellent... I will contact Keystone and get them sent to me
New Saliuns g-ply
Old 05-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #44
d1999aads
Established Member

M.O.C. #20626
Called Lippert to see if they had the rollers for under the slide out... they said they did not provide the slide out and it probably was made by Norco. I took pictures while standing on the island and it is made by BAL / Norco. I send an email to Norco to see if they can recommend a roller as it only had the ware bar..... never easy is it?
New Saliuns g-ply
Old 05-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #45
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
NO slide on any trailer I have owned has had rollers, and I think I would not want them. Think about it, with rollers, all the wear is concentrated to the area that contact them, were as a wear bar distributes the weight all the way across the slide evenly.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:20 PM   #46
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
I had mine in the shop Feb. Mar. and half of April for this exact reason. Keystones fix was to install drip pans and put repair tape on the bubbled rubber roof. After many emails with Keystone and even more phone calls to repair shop, I finally got the rubber roof on 2 out of 3 slide roofs replaced. The third was not nearly as bad so it was not replaced. It is NOT grease, it is oil, and there was enough leaked out of the kitchen slide to run all the way to the end of the slide on the back side of the fascia board, and the shop said the bedroom slide was the worst. My concern is when they run out of oil?? And what happens when the drip pan gets full and runs over?? Guess I probably won't have to worry about that as there isn't enough left in them anyway.
Word of advise, it is all in the way the service writer presents the damage and recommends repair as to how Keystone will handle it. If they don't make it out to be a big deal, it will probably just get pans and cleaned, and maybe tape, But if they recommend replacement and have pictures to back it, that could happen, as in my case. Most of my complaint was 1. Its under warranty 2. I didn't buy it that way 3. Resale value with a tape repair. I would still like to see a recall for this.
Air Lift 5000 airbags
GILAELKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:33 PM   #47
69Roadrunner
Established Member

M.O.C. #26993
Just found out about this issue with the leaking gear boxes, thanks to this forum. Checked mine today on my 2018 305RL and all three are leaking. I have the drip pans and plan on attaching them tomorrow, what tools do I need? Looks like maybe an Allen wrench, what size?
It ticks me off that Keystone knew about this problem and still continued to ship the units. Why wouldn’t they install the pans before leaving the factory or better yet spec a different gearbox. My opinion of Keystone has soured to the point I wouldn’t recommend a Keystone unit to anyone! I understand you have problems on all brands, but if they would try to cover up this what else would they try to sneak out the door and let the customer worry about it
69Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:42 PM   #48
69Roadrunner
Established Member

M.O.C. #26993
Keystone wants to patch the damaged portion of my slide roofs with tape. I find that unacceptable as every owner should. There is talk on this forum about a class action lawsuit. Where does that stand? Is there enough support here for that?
69Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #49
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
All I can say is good luck going that route. There's an ongoing lawsuit from General Motors Ford and Dodge for years now for grenading fuel pumps that destroy the entire fuel systems. I check on it often and it seems to be going nowhere
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:26 PM   #50
SterlingSilver
Established Member

M.O.C. #22445
69Roadrunner - Thanks for the post. I wish you the best of luck. I have since traded my HC 305RL for something else. Wait until you try and put the drip pan on the slideout in the bedroom. I had to remove the top of the slide out frame to get at the motor. I also had that motor go bad but I am a stubborn guy. I pulled the motor out and rewound the armature and it worked fine. I liked the 305RL for it's floorplan and size. Everything else was stuff I could fix and it never let me down out on a trip. I just don't keep a unit more than a couple of years because I like trying new things. I've had 7 totally different RV's so far.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:42 PM   #51
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
if there is a 'quick' fix then have them tell you what it is.

shouldn't be a big issue.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #52
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Roadrunner View Post
Keystone wants to patch the damaged portion of my slide roofs with tape. I find that unacceptable as every owner should. There is talk on this forum about a class action lawsuit. Where does that stand? Is there enough support here for that?
I would not stand for it.. I would talk to your service rep. and the service writer, it is all in the way they present it to Keystone. Have them take plenty of pictures and they need to tell Keystone that in their opinion the tape repair is not sufficient. I finally was able to get 2 of the 3 slide roof membranes replaced, and one they only cleaned it (still pissed about that). As far as a class action lawsuit, it is going to take someone with very deep pockets to go after that. Good luck
Air Lift 5000 airbags
GILAELKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote