Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
My Friday The 13th

My Friday the 13th

We were camped at a campground Double J Campground and RV Park in Chatham, Illinois. Very nice RV Park with reasonable rates of $29.00.

The day started off fine, I went to take a shower at the campgrounds facilities. I showered and returned to the RV. We were going to take off about 8 AM, but a huge rain storm blew in. It was raining too hard to hookup so Bob took off to the showers since we couldn’t leave due to the rain. The rain stopped, he hooks up the RV and I secure everything inside. I step out of the RV into a puddle of muck where the rain water had pooled at the end of the steps. So much for being clean.

We leave the RV campground and head towards Wisconsin. Things are going great, we stop at a Pilot to fill up and grab a Wendy’s meal. The station was packed with semi trucks so we pull across the street into a shopping mall to eat our lunch. We finish eating and start to pull out of the mall only to find the exits out are very tight. Bob pulls out and drives over a landscape island that didn’t have any dirt. We manage to pull out of it and get back on the interstate.

We are back on the road making good time. We come up to a rest stop and Bob asks “do you need to use the bathroom?” I told him “not really, but just in case pull over.” We pull in and use the bathrooms, then come out and check the tires. I look at the tires on my side of the Monty and find the belts separating on one of the tires. If the tire has traveled another foot the tire separation would have been on the bottom of the tire and I wouldn’t have seen it. Bob changes the tire, gets the spare down and on, and checks the air pressure. The spare is down to about 70PSI. A semi pulls up next to us, so I ask the driver if he has a compressor that we can use. He tells me “all trucks have them, we have air brakes.” I tell him our problem; he says he is in a rush, but that he would help us out. He runs his line under our RV and we fill up the tire. Thank goodness for nice truck drivers.

We get back on the interstate and come upon signs that state the interstate is closed up ahead. We stop at the Wisconsin welcome center to find out where the interstate is closed. They have it closed from Madison to Stevens Point. Traffic is at a stand still outside of Madison, bumper to bumper grid lock. I get on the phone to local RV parks, only to find that they are all booked. I finally get a spot in Waupaca which another 2 ½ hours down the detour. We are down to ¼ tank of diesel so finding fuel is a must. We can’t find a place to pull into that will hold the Monty so we continued on down the highway. We see a diesel sign near Bristol so pull off into the little town. Find the station/bar fill up at $4.86, would have paid $6.00 a gallon at this point. Locals were in the bar drinking beer and discussing the crops that are ruined and the flooding. We are off again headed to Appleton were we miss the turn off, so we have to circle back around and head back in the right direction. Wouldn’t you know it the Garmin was correct for a change. She had been trying to take us into flooded areas all day. We missed the I10 sign that was also 441. Have I mentioned that the Monty has been chucking ALL Day!!

We get to the campground, I pull the chock from the propane storage area and the bracket on the tank pops open and hits my hand. Bob backs in, the chocks are set and he lifts the truck off the hitch. We were just using water and electricity. He pulls the truck to the side and I mention to him that I think the slides are to close to the tree. He assures me that they are fine. I start putting the slides out and here him yell STOP! Slides come back in, he hooks up the Monty and moves it one foot. Chocks back out, hook up water and electricity. Slides back out again, bring the cat into the trailer, start ice machine, fix drink and then look at Apollo oven. No light in the clock display, no popped breaker, no nothing. Go to office and get pizza from their little store.

Today could have been worse. We are here safe and sound at the RV park, while farmers are dealing with flooding crops and truckers are having to detour too. People that live in the flooded area damaged homes etc. Tim Russert died today. So all in all today was a good day for us.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
WHEW!!!! That could get old real quick! Maybe you used up your months share of bad luck. Let's hope so......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Gosh Colleen,

those are surely HARD ROAD days! UGH.

But, safe and sound at the end of the day is a VERY Good thing.

Hopefully in a year, this will be one of those little delightful "war" stories we all like to tell.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good story, hope all of this mess gets better for you. Update on the oven????
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Ozz,

The oven is still dead!! We haven't taken it apart as Bob has been busy trying to figure out the system that the company he is working for is using. We are actually packing up and leaving tomorrow as he had enough of the BS. He was in such a state this morning that he really had me worried. I don't need to have a husband having a heart attack over work. He hates failing at anything, and this just isn't working out. He has hit a dead end trying to get help from everyone that he has talked to on the phone. He thougt he would have a support system (storm office) when we got up here.The nearest office is over 300 miles from us. So we are turning this trip into a vacation/learning experience.

Colleen
Old 06-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Coleen,
You really have to look at the funny side. Didn't Bob get a laugh when you stepped in the mud puddle? Truthfully, I cracked a big grin when I read it.

May the ret of your trip be nothing but good times.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Wayne,

Are you kidding.....hee hee..... I wouldn't dare tell him that I stepped in the mud. I left out several parts of the day because it was really one of those days that you really have to chuckle about later. When I was buying the pizza at the campground I was punch happy from lack of sleep. I told the owner of the RV Park about our problems getting to her park. I jokingly told her about the RV set up problem, Apollo failure etc. I asked her if she really wanted me to use her toaster oven to heat the pizza I purchased. She grinned and said yes. I didn't have my glasses on so I didn't see that the first minute was spaced larger than the other minutes. She had advised me that it would take 8 minutes to cook the pizza. Eight minutes go by and I am still turning the clock on again on the toaster oven. She is looking at me as I turn it on for the third time. Finally, I get it cooked and then I am so punch happy from lack of sleep I worry that I will drop the pizza on the floor. She comes around the desk and tells me to bring the pizza over to a shelf where I can put the cardboard support down and place the pizza on it. She then pulls a white paper bag out to slide the pizza in so I don't drop it on the way back to the RV. She read deer in the head lights all over my face when I was cooking the pizza. Yep, I will tell wild tales about the trip to Wisconsin in the future.

This really is pretty country. I must mention though that the mosquitos are bigger in Wisconsin than they are in Texas.

Colleen
Old 06-19-2008, 06:24 AM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Read your entraining story. Luck will get better. Be safe out there.
Well written.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Wis always has the biggest misquotes , be careful they will get the pizza to .. we are headed that way now as we are in asheville ,, outside a ways,, but leave here monday to get to upper wis by sat ,, there were no love bugs this year in fl to speak of but my friends tell me in the north country there are big misquotes and ticks and july the deer flys come,, isn't life great ,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Sailer,

Where in Wisconsin??? I must say the RV park that we were staying at was wonderful. We almost had the park to ourselves with great showers and WIFI and a wonderful nature trail. Grocery store was 1/2 a mile down the road. It was a perfect place to work from, but not great working conditions.

We are in Mitchell SD right now headed for Mt. Rushmore. Getting lots of points on the credit card, and looking forward to the diesel bill once we get home. I won't regret a minute of the trip, well maybe when I pay the CC bill. I have always wanted to see Mt. Rushmore, now I am. This is getting me out there earlier than we had planned. The country side is beautiful and weather is wonderful. So we are blessed and are thankful for it.

Colleen
Old 06-20-2008, 07:12 AM   #11
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Colleen, it has been awhile since we were at Mt Rushmore, but there are really great drives around there. There is a state park which has wildlife in it and some of the roads are very narrow, going through stone tunnels. I have the neatest picture of the faces taken through the tunnel or arch.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Myrna,

Well, we are outside of Rapid City SD. Just set up the Monty in the pouring rain, no sooner did we get finished and it stopped raining. We will stay here three of four days before heading to Kansas City to see Jim and Sue. Then off to Oklahoma City to see the memorial and then home to unload the two story ladder from the living room in the Monty. We will head to Marble Falls were we will be staying a week with five other couples.

Can you remember the name of the State Park?

How are you feeling?

Colleen
Old 06-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Colleen,

Great story.

We've had those days too, but it has been a while back....makes me worry, they do seem to be rhythmic...we might be due for another one.

Hope your travels are less hectic in the future!

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #14
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
What a glorious day we had today. We found the state park that Myrna was talking about. It is Custer State Park!!! We were on Iron horse trail, with breath taking views every where. Tried to run over a small car that was zipping through one of the stone tunnels. His little car wouldn't have stood up to the Chevy 2500 HD. Bob was polite, and backed out of the tunnel.

Went past Crazy Horse and took pictures from the road. A fellow camper told us that even when you paid the entrance fee that you couldn't get close to the face unless you paid an additional fee. So, we took our pictures and headed to Deadwood. We went to the Adam's family home for a tour and drove up to the cemetery where Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane. Wish we had time to see the Adams family museum, as it is supposed to wonderful. It is also free to the public. As we were leaving town main street was packed. We get down the road about 15 miles and I read that they have a live actor shoot out on main street at 2PM, 4PM and 6PM.

We were wanting to get to Sturgis so we didn't turn back. Wished we had stayed in Deadwood as Sturgis is a bump in the road. I guess it is hopping when they have the bike rally, but I wouldn't want to be there that week. Actually wished I wasn't there today.

Tomorrow we are going to the Space Museum at Ellsworth Air Force Base. Also, visiting the Berlin Wall downtown, Journey Museum and the Fish Hatchery. Our weather has been wonderful the last two days.

Yesterday we went to Bear Country USA. It was incredible and something I would do again. Then off to Keystone right below Mt. Rushmore and went to the Gutzon Borglum musuem, had lunch, road the 1880 train from Keyston to Hill City and then back again. After that I bought two rugs for my house and then we were off to Mt Rushmore. What an awesome national monument. We toured everything and then waited for the 9PM lighting of the faces. At the end they honored all of the veterans by having them come down to the stage when they took the flag down. I must say it very touching to see all of them introduced and say what branch of service the were in. I was surprized when Bob went down to the stage. I was glad that he took my nagging to heart.

Colleen
Old 06-23-2008, 02:46 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am so glad you guys are enjoying the sights, sounds like a great adventure.
You are not a 'nagger' just a firm persuader....
Old 06-23-2008, 05:01 AM   #16
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Ozz,

You are such a "sweetheart", I love your poetic nature. I will have to tell Bob that I am a firm persuader

We are off to see the sights today and then will head to Sioux Falls tomorrow morning. I am thinking that we will arrive in Kansas City on June 25, which just happens to be Bob's birthday.

Colleen
Old 06-23-2008, 08:33 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cool! See you guys then, what are you doing for Bob's B'day?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #18
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Colleen, glad you found the "Custer State Park". Sorry Sturgis was less than thrilling. Actually when the bikers are there, it is a sight to see. We drove through town during the biker week (we were on our way east on 90), and wow, you can see it all. Literally. Even some eye candy for the guys. Kind of like Quartzsite, but instead of RV's it is bikes. They are camped in fields for miles around the city. We didn't see any riske behavior, other than mode of dress (or undress) and the bikers are very polite and orderly. Of course that was years ago before the Monty. I wouldn't pull that through there!!!! not enough room. Safe travels home. I am doing great.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:15 AM   #19
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Myrna,

Lots of bikers are in our area when Austin has their rally. I really can do without the noise. The bikes are really pretty when they are running.

Ozz,

Not sure what we will do.

Colleen
Old 06-24-2008, 05:55 AM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Colleen, We are headed to Rapid City, from Cody, WY, to spend the 4th of July. Any recommendations on a park? So far we are booked into Hart Ranch Resort as it is an RPI Park. Your travelogue is great as it tells us what we need to see. Is there anything you missed that you think we should see? It's nice having a nationwide travel agency at your fingertips. Sorry about the job debacle, hope you guys overcome, it sounds like you are. Enjoy the rest of your trip and be safe!!!!

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote