Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Stolen Rig

Wow, we could hardly believe it - our dealer called this morning to inform us that our rig was stolen off their lot last night! We only got to drive it around the block - they were storing it for us until we could install the new gate where we keep it in January - some dirty rotten thief cut the locks and the reason they choose ours was probably because the license plate was on it - fortunately, we had no personal items in it or on it - only some levels and a dirt dauber screen - can you believe it? We are still in shock! The dealer is going to make it good, of course, but that was our baby - so new, we hadn't even named it yet! Will not know anything more until Tuesday at the earliest -

refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Those thieves knew to steal the best didn't they? Sorry to hear about your loss, let us know if they recover it.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Sorry to hear about your loss. Right now at Christmas time. Glad the dealer will make good. Looking on the bright side if you were going to park it for the winter, when the new one shows up you will have a lot less time to wait until you can use.
Merry Christmas.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Oh my goodness what horrible news. Hopefully they will find it and return it to you without any damage. Good luck!
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:39 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Glad to hear that your dealership is making good on it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
This sounds like a christmas story in the making?! We are happy your dealer has taken the stand to cover you. What happens if its recovered does that mean your supposed to accept it with some sort of "fix"? I would not be happy knowing of damage from being stolen or recover... I would expect a brand new replacement! Course who am I, I bought a used Monty and still love it almost as much as DW!
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
refocused,

What a stinkin thing to have happen!

Like where are they gonna hide a big Montana?? DUHHHH????

How bizarre is that?

We wish you good luck with this new and unfortunate turn of events.

Hope you manage to have a nice holiday season, even tho some idiot has tried to ruin it for you.

Chin up, you will work it out!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #8
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Geesh Grinich, what a low thing to do at this time of year. As others said, glad your dealer is standing behind you. We wish you the best of luck, and inspite of this bizarre event, wish you all a Very Merry Christmas.....

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Chuck and Suzanne,
So sorry to hear of your misfortune. It was good you hadn't "moved in" yet. Be really careful if they find it and want you to take it instead of a new one.
I know this sounds weird but Merry Christmas. You will one way or another have a Monty soon.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Wow that is just terrible! Who would of imagine something like that to happen! Sure hope everything works out for you. Happy to hear your dealer will make good. Sure hope your holidays go much much better.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
So sorry to here of something like this happening! What a low down thing to do! I hope everything works out OK for you and you get the whole unit replaced.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:22 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
What a terrible thing to have happen! I've actually never heard of that before. I guess somebody could just park it on private land somewhere and nobody would know the better.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Certainly your dealer is responsible and is stepping up! That is great. This kind of thing is a constant worry for me. Fortunately it happens so rarely that we sort of put it out of our mind. Got to get something to slow down the thieves.

Best of luck and hope you have a very Merry Christmas in spite of this incident.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:22 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
WOW, what gall. I guess it's true what they say about thieves having no heart. Mine is with the dealer also, I think I will check on it come Tuesday. Of course, being in Alaska, where are they gonna take it? When I lived in Tucson, many years ago, I had a new Bronco II stolen from in front of my house and the cops said it was probably on a villa in Mexico by the time I woke up. As I reaall, short trip to Laredo isn't it? I know you would like to get it back, but maybe if it is not found then a new one is a done deal.

Please don't let this deter you from having a Merry Christmas. Maybe you had the one after Rich and Helen off the assembly line and it will give the new owners some grief.

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays.

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:52 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's horrible! It's not like a car; you can't just tell the police to be on the lookout for a white Montana fifthwheel. I hope if it is recovered that it is not damaged. I hope it is either recovered or you have a new one before you are ready for your first camping trip. Please let us know how this comes out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:15 AM   #16
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Thanks for all the sympathy - it was beyond our wildest imagination that anything like this could happen - would like to get some thoughts on what you all would do if it happened to you - there are, of course, several scenarios, the first being - they recover the rig - do you ask them to sanitaize everything, go over everything with a fine tooth comb, change out the mattress, and then accept it? Remember, we had NEVER used it - now it is a USED rig.

Hope all are having a blessed Christmas!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Chuck, Without sounding like the Grinch, I think you will be lucky to see the Monty again. Your proximity to the border makes me think this. My wife and I were discussing this this morning and we came to the conclusion that if we stole a RV we would probably strip it of everything sellable and leave nothing but a shell. In any event, if this happened to me, I would push, no demand, a new rig. Even if it is returned in fixable shape, it is still not the way you left it with the dealer. I'm sure the dealer has ins that covers this type of thing and won't be hurt by it. I just hope it is resolved before you had plans to start using it.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:06 AM   #18
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Phil,
Thanks for your input - had considered it might be stripped - I don't think is is in Mexico unless someone has an "in" with the Border crossing guys - probably sitting at someone's ranch or deer lease - we were planning to go to our Escapee's Chapter rally in Fredricksburg, TX the third weekend in Jan. - we can always just go up there for the day - it's only 65 miles - don't want to rush to get this done - BTW - when we do get the next one, we will not have them put the license plate on until we are hooked up and ready to drive out of there!
Old 12-26-2006, 05:17 AM   #19
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Chuck and Suzanne: From your posts I'm assuming you had not already signed the paperwork on it - Hence the dealership stepping up on it. I was just thinking of all the hunting and all that goes on in TX; as you said, I can see it out on some ranch or public land being used as a rental - who knows. Regardless, I wish you the best in a speedy, and NEW, replacement!! as the ole saying goes - 'Don't let the B#^5a%ds get you down!!'.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:57 AM   #20
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
As with all the others I wish this hadn't happened to you. But since it did, maybe the silver lining to this cloud is all of the good advice about security. Such as not leaving the tags on while the rig is stored. Eventhough ours is stored in the yard, it is fully visible from the state road that goes past us. I believe my tags will be spending the rest of the winter in the warm and dry. I also agree that if the paperwork wasn't complete you should be owed a new rig in time for your planned outing. Wishing you the best and the thieves an early transmission failure and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to All. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote