Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2019, 05:29 AM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Interior door squeals and squeaks

No big deal except to my nerves.

The hinges on both interior doors squeal like a cat in ... well, sitting on the fence seeking companionship.

Lubed them with a couple different non-staining spray bombs. Still squeal. Removed them and they flop so badly they rwist when being installed and are also 'factory' bent. Trekwood want less then two uucks each plus $36.00 shipping. The $2 each for 6 hinges is acceptable. The shipping amount for about 6-8 ounces is extortion! Home Depot non mortise hinges are too thick. Mortising regular hinges on a standing door frame, difficult to do right. I've found some thin piano hinges and will give them a try.

Door latches join the chorus of swinging door 'music'. I'll be giving a pair of standard Kwik-Set passage door latches a try too.

Amazing the low end junk that these RV manufacturers tend to use - and it isn't just Thor/Keystone/Montana

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sprayed ours with silicone for a year or so and now they don't do it much. May have just worn the plastic spaces down.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
The hinges in my HC look like basic bifold hinges. Is that what you have? I would think that if you do need to mortise for aftermarket hinges that it wouldn't have to be much. You should be able to mortise the door edge a little and not worry about the jamb.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I'm not positive, but standard handsets might not work, these 'doors' are thinner than a regular door.

Mark
Old 09-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Sprayed ours with silicone for a year or so and now they don't do it much. May have just worn the plastic spaces down.

No plastic in ours. Metal to floppy metal non removeable pin contact that some $15/can lube wouldn't touch though did stop the rear stabilizers from squealing - finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
The hinges in my HC look like basic bifold hinges. Is that what you have? I would think that if you do need to mortise for aftermarket hinges that it wouldn't have to be much. You should be able to mortise the door edge a little and not worry about the jamb.

They are just really flimsy no mortise hinges. I tried a pair of similar but heavier hinges from Home Depot but they push the door closer to the opposite (latch)side enough that itwont close. I suppose I could run the doors through my table saw and narrow them a bit - but then would need to do some staining. I could try just mortising the door but piano hinges just sounds easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
I'm not positive, but standard handsets might not work, these 'doors' are thinner than a regular door.

That may be true. I think I have a used S&B one that I'll try -- or just take one off a door for a trial run before I spend the bucks for better new ones
Old 09-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Any chance you can replace the hinge pin with a brass one? Should solve the squeaking.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:38 AM   #7
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Any chance you can replace the hinge pin with a brass one? Should solve the squeaking.
Probably could with a bit of grinder and drill press work. But with that said it wouldn't fix the bent 'flaps' that have been weakened after being straightened a couple times. I can see replacement as the best ajternative
Old 09-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Awwww, good high quality Chinese parts created from melted down tin cans. Glad I don't have a newer rig. Yeah, I would trash those hinges and find a way to make use of better hinges...which are probably still made in China but by a better factory.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post

Mark

I just had a chance to measure the doors and they appear to be standard slab door ~1-3/8" thickness. What may be different are the existing hardware mounting holes - but that needs to wait a few days until we get home from the NH White Mountains.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #10
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Squealing hinges on the bathroom door are history. The flimsey Keystone supplied hinges have been replaced by Gatehouse brand 3" no mortise hinges from Lowe's. An easy install and they appear strong enough that only two were needed. Being no mortising, I installed the two new above the existing without removing the door so it would stay in proper position, When the new ones were screwed in place, I then removed the old. I will have to mortise the latch strike as there is a bit of drag - but that's an easy mod. The downside is that now I have 12 holes to plug and stain, door and frame. Color wise - had a choice of nickle or shiny brass. I chose the brass though the nickle may be a better choice - might just spend another $3.00 and see if I like that color better

The door latch was also removed, cleaned, lubed and properly aligned without overtightening - way too tight from the factory, distorting the guts of the latch - and that now works well with squeals