Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2005, 03:02 AM   #221
Montana_3577
Established Member

M.O.C. #3577
ok> Maybe missing something. True the Thermostat does seem to be ten degrees off still. But we set it so we are comfortable, if too warm touch up the A/C. Too cold touch down the A/c. Otherwise seems to work ok. What am I missing other than slight nusiance.

Montana_3577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:39 AM   #222
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I for one want to be able to set it and forget it. I don't want to have to set it to bring the temperature up to 70 by setting it at 80 and when it gets to 75 have to turn it down until it gets cold and then go through the cycle again.

I expect some thing that I purchase to work correctly and not have to mess with it all the time. I also don't want to search all over the place trying to find where my wife set it down last time. As I said I want to be able to "set it and forget it" and the CCC works great for that.
Dick Driver
rldriver

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:36 AM   #223
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Amen Dick. Since this is one of the largest threads on the forum it would seem obvious there is a problem.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:58 AM   #224
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
All you have to do is get a comfort control t-stat and a board from keystone and it is a easy swap out. It has the phone jack conn.. Keystone will probally do it under warranty as they have had several issues with this. Just call cust. service and tell them the problem. When i ordered mine i asked for this type t-stat and it was no problem.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:50 PM   #225
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
pud2
Yes that is what most of us have done.
Happy trails.....................
Old 09-26-2005, 02:50 PM   #226
kbr278
Established Member

M.O.C. #3264
My father in-law just purcheased a new 3685fl and he has the comfort control system. no remote. Ours is 1.5 months older and we have the remote. Does anyone know whether or not Keystone has done away with the remote system?
kbr278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:07 PM   #227
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kbr278

Does anyone know whether or not Keystone has done away with the remote system?
When we toured the plant at the G.L. Region Rally, the units in production had the Comfort Control Centre, No more remotes.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:15 PM   #228
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Now that this thread has arisen again, I am happy to report that thanks to my dealer, we now have a CCC in our trailer. I picked up the parts from the dealer (my choice to avoid a trip with the trailer) and found it easy to install thanks to the instructions posted in this thread. Took me about an hour, but much of that time was spent reading, and double checking everything, I could probably do another in less than half the time.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and other related ones. This thread is a prime example of how wonderful the Forum can be, not only did we get a poor system replaced in our own units, I am convinced that this Forum caused Keystone to have second thoughts about continuing to install the remote system.

Incidently, a friend who recently bought an '05 Everest, is having the exact same problems with his remote.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #229
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We have one of the remote control thermostat contraptions in our Cambridge. Funny, at one time I worked in Honeywell's Home and Building Control. It seemed like whenever someone tried to one up the old "Honeywell round" we were in for a bunch of customer issues. I never did figure out what's wrong with a switch that says "heat--off--airconditioning" and a thermostat. So, I may have been spring loaded to hate this thing. Anyone who has read my report on the Cambridge knows this is one of the low points in the whole experience.

I did not keep up with this thread last year as we had a simple control in our BigSky. Now that the thread was ressurected, I read most of the posts. I am encouraged to go back to Dometic/Keystone and get this fixed. Thanks forum.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:42 PM   #230
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
I think this has been said but just to clarify - go straight to Dometic. Email and you should be contacted shortly. If not, email again. Emphasize you know there is a problem with the remote unit and nothing but the CC is acceptable. But be nice - just firm.
Happy trails..................
Old 10-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #231
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
Had mine changed over last aug. works great, that is until last few days the temps drop so switched on the heat. Guess what? Now the ccc unit is so sensitive it cycles the heat every few minutes. set for 70 it comes on at 69 and goes off at 70. Yikes so now what?.

I mean it keeps the unit heated fine just that on off on off, runs few minutes (3 or 4) off 3 or 4) Any Ideas out there? Cooling if set at 73 it came on a 75 off at 72, 4 deg spread not like on heat where it is 1 deg spread.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #232
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just toured the Montana plant Oct 4th..No more remote control system.. I guess keystone noticed that the remote system was not working..only took 20 or so pages on the topic...BUT...the system works.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:53 AM   #233
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by keham

Had mine changed over last aug. works great, that is until last few days the temps drop so switched on the heat. Guess what? Now the ccc unit is so sensitive it cycles the heat every few minutes. set for 70 it comes on at 69 and goes off at 70. Yikes so now what?.

I mean it keeps the unit heated fine just that on off on off, runs few minutes (3 or 4) off 3 or 4) Any Ideas out there? Cooling if set at 73 it came on a 75 off at 72, 4 deg spread not like on heat where it is 1 deg spread.
The most common cause of this, is placement of the thermostat relative to the floor vents. A simple test can be performed by covering up the vents located nearest the thermostat. If the problem goes away, you have the answer. You can add a defelctor to the vent to steer the hot air away from the thermostat.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:48 PM   #234
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
Another possibility is an adjustment in the thermostat. The adjustment determines how much the temperature changes before it switches. I'm not familiar with the physical layout of your ccc unit but most of the adjustments I'm familiar with require opening the box to make the adjustment. The adjustment should be marked with something like 1, 2, 3; that is it takes 1 degree or 2 deegree or 3 degree changes before it switches.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:58 AM   #235
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Wouldn't you know it. I contacted Dometic and told them I had the same problem Temp swing from 10 to 15 degree's and also refered to this forum.... They said they would send me the FIX. I asked do you neede some part numbers, I can provide them from the forum. THEY SAID NO.... YOU GUESSED IT. They sent me the same darn thing we all had to start with....OH WELL someone has to keep UPS in the shipping business.

I will call after I return from our last desperate trip before THE SNOW FLY's - Branson bound Friday.

I"ll be flashing my light's ---- Later John H (aka Hemlockusa)
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:29 PM   #236
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
This is one time that I'm glad I didn't get the latest technology since I thought the remote t-stat was pretty cool on the first demo I saw. But Keystone had already heard all of you, I think, and my 2006 came with a wall mount unit. So thanks for helping them change back.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #237
Phil Poindexter
Established Member

M.O.C. #4125
It was difficult to check out furnace late in the summer when we bought our new 2955RL. Went north to Pismo Beach, CA and discovered that the furnace had 8 to 9 degree temp. variance between cycles. The remote adjustment at "I feel" did the same thing. Inland the AC did not shut off at a preset 73 degrees and kept going down till it was too cold. I finally shut it off manually.
While in the campground, met another Monty owner who had the exact same problem.
We took it back to dealer, exchanged remotes, wall units and even the brains installed up in the AC. Still no luck.
Today, we have it back at the Dealer who is again looking at it. I left instructions to replace it with the regular Duo Therm wall unit. Craig at Keystone CUst. Serv. says that they will consider the replacement after hearing from our Dealer. They better do something with Dome tic and they should back up their customers.

So far nobody has implied that I was too stupid to understand the remote instructions---fortunately for them.

Ill post again to update
Phil Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:44 PM   #238
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Sounds very typical. We had no problem getting ours replaced through our dealer, but be careful when you say "regular" Duotherm wall unit. It must be the "Duotherm Comfort Control Center" because that is the only unit that is compatible with installed wiring, and it must include both the wall unit and the control board that is mounted in the AC.

05 Everests also share this remote thermostat. It has been replaced in 06 Montana models with the Duotherm CCC.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #239
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
If the dealer doesn't do it, email Dometic. They sent the CCC to us. We got very quick and good response from them.
Happy trails......................
Old 11-09-2005, 03:57 AM   #240
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We also have the same remote and also have had the same problems. We will surely have ours changed out but probably not until we get back to our home state. Wondering why knowing that this has been such a problem that they would continue putting these units in?
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote