Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2003, 05:47 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
propane detector upstairs

After our experience last night I'd like to very highly recommend Keystone include a propane detector inside the coach very close to where the propane is stored.

Last night, the last night of our trip, I awoke at 6:20am to a very strong propane smell in the bedroom. We were in subfreezing weather and I was expecting one tank to empty and the regulator to switch to the other. As we normally do to conserve propane in cold weather, we had set the thermostat to 45 and closed the door to the upstairs. In the bedroom we used an electric heater. In the 3295RK the propane is stored near the front. The propane detector is at the very rear of the coach, in the living area. The closed door between upstairs and downstairs apparently kept the propane from getting far enough to set off the detector. Or at least slowed it a lot. I arose and immediately went outside where I again smelled the strong propane smell. At first I thought maybe the CG refill tank had a leak since it was not all that far away from us. But as I walked around the fw it became apparent the leak was local. I opened the door with the regulator and was hit with a very strong smell. The regulator flag was red. I flipped the lever to the other tank and closed the valve on the one that was primary. But the flag did not turn to green. So I made sure the other tank was open. It was. Both tanks were empty. When we went to be the primary tank I knew would probably run out that night. But the other tank was full, having been filled just a few days before.
Given that we had an electric heater going in the bedroom I think we were very fortunate to not have a fire or explosion. I would implore Keystone to consider providing an second detector very close to the propane storage area. At least as an option.
Thanks.

Steve and Vicki Reigle
Topeka, KS (until 4/03, then fulltime traveling)
'99 F350 V10; '03 3295RK

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote