Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The Civil War (Warning - graphic content)

I received an email with the link provided. Having geen to Gettysburg a few times, it was interesting to see these pictures and relate them to the bloodiest war of our time. A WARNING - some of the historical images are graphical images of bodies.
=================================================
Original email - original author of email unknown -

"Although some of these may be hard to view, if you're into American history - Civil War era, you should really enjoy these historic photos.

These are really interesting photos from the Civil War. It is truly fortunate that so many of these have survived. Probably a million wet plate photos were made during the civil war on glass plate. Popular during the war, they lost their appeal afterwards and so many were sold for the glass. Many were used in green houses. Over the years the sun caused the images to disappear.

These are pretty amazing considering they were taken up to 150
years ago: a compendium of photos from the Civil War era.

Run the cursor over the photograph and the picture caption will pop up. Click photo to enlarge.

Civil War Photos"

Note: I found maneuvering through the photos was easier to clink on a photo, and then use the "back" button (delete on MAC) to go back a page and click on the next photo.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
having been to several of these battle fields these pictures really show "the real thing"
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Some great photos, thanks for sharing them.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Thanks for posting that. Have not seen that one.
I do love history. Have been to quite a few of those battlefields also as well as those for the battle for independence from England (and of course being a Texan, the Alamo and San Jacinto). But the one at Gettysburg always leaves me in awe. Over 50,000 casualties in 3 days of battle is incredible. Especially Picket's charge. The scene of bones left lying in the field is certainly telling.
All those men (and boys) marching off to the glory of war soon encountered the realism of what they were doing.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Next year begins the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. There will be reenactments of battles all over the country. The biggest will be Gettysburg in 2013. There will be over 30,000 reenactors there. I plan to be at several riding with the 6th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry. I encourage everyone to attend one or more reenactments in the next five years. I think you will enjoy it.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote