Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Warm & Toasty package

This has been the coldest weather we have ever been in this 06 3400. We are a average 06 3400. Seals fit properly, slides have been adjusted and fit normally. Major holes in the underbelly have been plugged. I think we are as tight as we can get.

We have seen lows in the 30's and 20's several times in the last week. The reported low was 26 last night . It was 31 degrees on our front patio when we took these inside temp measurements with a good digital thermometer.

Temp measured on the shelf above the counter in the 3400 where we keep the inside thermometer 72 degrees. Camper thermometer set at 70 degrees. Kenwood oil filled heater right behind me set on high and heat rave heater with temp set on high at the top of the steps up front. This AM when we got up the inside camper temp was 69 degrees outside temp was 29 degrees. Furnace ran a lot last night.

temp on the floor under the table..you know where your feet are 59 degrees.
On floor under the computer desk 57 degrees
On the computer desk 63 degrees

Here is a good one down in the well at the front door 48 degrees

Do your feet feel cold when you are sitting on the sofa ..on floor at front of sofa 54 degrees

On the wall right next to the window by the sofa 61 degrees..Sure wish I had those dual pane windows.. that would have been a big help.....NOT.

Now on the floor in the center part right over the underbelly..69 degrees.. that works good.. To bad we have slides???

A warm point was in the front closet on the floor 65 degrees. The nose is well insulated..and we have a skirt attached.

Warm and toasty.... my butt...

Oh It is now 11:45 Am.. outside temp 41.2 degrees.. Inside temp
74.2..think I can turn the electric heaters down to low

From Jan 6 to Jan 9th used 125KW of electric and 1 tank of propane.

We purchased this rig with the intent of staying in temps in the range of @ 40 to 90 degrees and normally we have done that with good results.

Would have to do a lot better than this price range of RV for real cold weather camping..although I can not see why anyone would want to deliberately camp in freezing temps. Just my opinion of course...

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Rich, our neighbors in an expensive sob are having as much cold as we are. You know them. They used a 40lb tank in 3 days and we used a 30lb'er in 4.
We have refrained from getting out the electric heaters, but have used the fire place before turning in. Our thermostat is set at 65 at night and 68 during the day/evening.
Have you thought about putting the bird in the oven instead of having the inside of the camper feel like one? (Just kidding Helen!)
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That means you guys are here??? We will run up a visit when Helen has a day off and it warms up a bit.. Yes we know the camper you are talking about and how Folks say they are so much better than the Montana. They are heavier, more expensive..but no better. I know of another poster on a "forum" who has the same brand camper and talks about how warm and toasty they are in cold weather.Cold is cold and BS is BS.

It is now 47.8 degrees outside. We are down to the Kenwood oil filled on high and the Heat Rave on low, furnance is not running as we are attempting to conserve propane for tonite... and we are warm and toasty... Really. See you guys soon...

Oh Helen has the bird cage setting over the heat vent in the rear of the 3400 . It stays in there a lot....
Old 01-10-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
My friend behind me who has a MS 5th wheel used a 40 pound propane tank in 5 days. I think the Motor-homes may do better in colder weather?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I hear you loud and clear Rich. Last spring I posted about how cold it was in our rig in similar temps especially while sitting at the computer desk. It seemed to be the coldest then followed by the the slide with the sofa. Many times I have thought about the more slides one has the harder it is to keep warm. Hey, whenever I see the words "Warm and Toasty" why do I automatically think of you???
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Up date... The wind has kicked up a bit amd a few minutes ago there was a loud rumbling , crashing noise from the camper. I thought..ye gads..the roof has torn off. Ran outside and there were large chunks of ICE some over a inch thick that had been thrown off the main slide topper.. I mean this is FLORIDA.... DarMar. I guess you and I are the only ones who did not get the " warm and toasty package"
The MH do better and they have much larger tanks. There were two of them lined up and the propane refill tanks yesterday.

Oh temp in Cleveland, Ohio 22 degrees, Low 16 tonite and no end in sight. Snow and more snow.. It will be in the 70's next week here. It will still be cold in Cleveland, Ohio..
Old 01-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have a MS and we are using 40 lbs propane every 4 to 5 days. The temp is set on 72 degrees in the day time and 68 degrees at night. Evernight for the last 5 nights we have un-hooked from the shore water. And haven't used either fire places, I want the basement to be heated and so we run the furnace. Propane here cost $19.82 to fill a 40 pounder and the RV park returns your tank when it refill. This is the coldest winter we have endured since comming South. We are going West next year, Casa Grande AZ, and will be at Palm Creek we have been in that area before. The Sun shines most everyday there. Stay warm.... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
If you believe the PR about Gulf Shores, many come here because of the abundant sunshine. Funny, they neglected to mention the 15 inches of rain we got in December 09.

Mother Nature is being a snot (cleaned that up, you fill in your nasty word of choice) this year.

Yesterday when I got up, the weather bug said something like 23 here and 17 at home.

Shoot folks, just stay safe and try to stay warm, it is cold everywhere cept Arizona and California.

I am resisting taking the winter coat out of the closet. Not sure why I am doing that.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Well, we're here in the Spartanburg, SC area and Bob is filling a 30lb tank every 3 days or so. I am very pleased with the way the Big Sky has behaved in this cold weather. If we were going to be in this type of weather on a longer basis, I would stuff foam pipe wrap along the insides of the slides just as a little bit of extra insulation. There is no comparison with our 2001 2955RL in cold weather, which was not nearly as well insulated.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I saw the acronym MS a couple of times in this topic. Would someone please decipher MS?

There are three popular places to migrate in the winter - Florida, Texas and Southern California. Florida is going through a freak freeze which turned that option into Brrrr. Texas is also going through a cold time but who would have known. Southern Cal has very few freezes at all, but it's pricey to stay here and too far for most. So, what can you do?

Good news (for Texas), the temps in So. Cal. have been around 75 to 80 during the day and 80% of the time they take 4-5 days to reach Texas. Unfortunately, from what I recall the temps in Texas don't necessarily make it to Florida a few days later. Hang in there!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Mobile Suites Art.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I do a lot of cooking and freezing the extras during this cold spell Rich but we are not nearly as cold as you and we do not have the duo pane windows..We do leave the blinds down if the sun is not shining and raise them if the sun comes out to help warm us up. We do not use any heaters in the Big Sky, only in the shed where we have our plants and a heater set at 40 degrees... We do use the fireplace whenever we are in the living room but turn it off when we go to bed. We do not close any doors since we like a warm bedroom when we shower at night. I know that we are several degrees colder in the Ocala area but we are warm and toasty with my fuzzy slippers and sweatshirts on.. I don't know if the past 4 year changes have helped that much but it seems like it has.. We go about 4 days on one tank of propane and are very comfortable... But then, We're from Minnesota.. We USED to be used to it.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
We left NY on 1/1 headed south it wasn't until Fri 1/8 that the weather hit upper 60's in Miami.Going to Marathon Key tomorrow for 10 days then headed back north.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well Helen we do everything you do. even put the artic package stuff over the bathroom skylight because the shower is another cold spot. Helen hung beach towels over the inside front door and put a chunk of plywood to block off the stepwell. Stuffed towels under the bedroom window. We also used 1 tank of propane Jan 6 to Jan 9. Guess we will have to buy a Big Sky to stay warm...or...Maybe it will warm up...soon...
Old 01-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Hank on there Rich.. The heat is on the way.

Helen #1
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #16
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
No complaints with our 08 3500 Montana. Nice & toasty. We set our therm at night to 56 & turn on our electric blanket. In the AM we turn therm back up to 70 degrees. Use 30# LP in 3 1/2 days.
Was 23 this AM in Bushnell, FL. Hope it warms up soon!!
Also use our electric fireplace a lot.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I moved our SOB MH into the driveway from where it was stored so that I could plug it into 50 amp, keep the batteries charged, and the propane heater on at 66 degrees. I'm beginning to wonder if the level gauge is working. I'm only doing this to keep things from possibly freezing. It was 29 degrees here this morning at 0700 hours, and the past 4 days have been in the 20's.

Don't let anyone kid you. The furnace runs quite a lot to maintain even 60-65 degrees and there are "cool" spots in the SOB just like there are in the others. Fortunately I have a basement air/heat pump with over a dozen outlets from the ceiling. However, below 35-40 degrees the propane automatically kicks in. There are only about 6 vents for the propane. The insulation, I don't think, is not as good as the Montana.

I'm fortunate. I'm sitting in 72 degrees right now, but it is in the stick house. That's not fortunate - I need to roll.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Starting to get the picture.. the "warm and toasty" package.. includes Electric blankets, sweat shirts and pants, electric heaters,/ fireplace slippers, socks, sweaters... I did not note that in the marketing PR. And they never mentioned how much propane it would take to stay "warm and toasty. We are using @ the same amount of propane as everyone else in the same temp range but.. we did not have the complete 'warm and toasty " package.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well the cold snap is over..at least in this part of Florida.It will be in the 70's in a coupler of days.. I joke around about the "warm and toasty package" If you have spent any Cold time in these things we know there is no such thing. This is the coldest weather we have experienced in the 3400 and I made some observations.. Someone said that the more slides you have the colder you will be...that is correct. The slides are the culprit. I noticed a towel stuffed on the floor in the corner by the fridge@ cabinet. Helen said ..why there is cold air pouring in down there and get down on your hands and knees and you can see outside..you could. The main draft areas on all the slides are at the corners, all of them, where the seals overlap..go up there and look..lift them back and you are looking inside the camper.On some you need not lift them back. Look under the slides along the bottom and along the corners same there..take a good look, stick your finger in there and you can see inside the camper. Drafts....Do you think!!!!!
It is not just Keystone or how much they cost.. RV's are drafty..in cold weather. So stock up on heaters, sweaters, electric blankets, slippers, blankets, sweatshirts and pants and... we will be..."warm and toasty"
Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #20
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
we are here in goodyear az .nice and toasty here came up from texas jan 1 texas was cold like florida. tucson and goodyear have been really nice in the 70,s.going to quartzsite thursday for the rally should be fun
thor is offline   Reply With Quote