Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
jerrybb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6198
work at home

Does anyone have any good suggestions on working from home ,,, that is not a scam ? Retired last month ,,, will start full timing in June of 2007. Or any reliable products to sell ? Thanks

jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:13 AM   #2
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Boy, I know enough about this topic to be dangerous. I recently picked up a book entitled "eBay for Dummies." My plan is to learn to use eBay to sell off some of the clutter accumulated in the stick house to prepare for fulltiming. The book, however, is geared to making a living by buying and selling on eBay. In some cases, you don't even have to take possession the merchandise. I can't vouch for the book or say that this is the way to go, but it sure looks like an interesting way to increase the household cash flow. Good luck.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:43 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
There was a topic a while back on this forum about different opportunities for FTers. Many ideas, however, needed a reliable, fast internet service, though. This, of course, can be a little problematic for campers.

Someone should write a book about this for FTers. Maybe someone already has?

There's always Workampers, but that doesn't sound like what your are talking about.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:53 AM   #4
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Jerry, I sent you a private message.

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:24 AM   #5
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
I've been thinking about the ebay thing for a couple years now and haven't gotten around to it. Just recently I thought about checking Amazon for "e-bay for Dummies". Should I save my money, or does it have some good information?
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #6
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Sunshine,
I suspect that if you are eBay literate, which I am not, then the book will not be worth while. I did not realize before I bought the book that people were making a living from eBay. People have opened stores on eBay and have saved the overhead of a building and employees. Some people go to the secondhand stores and flea markets, then resell on eBay. Some even sell receipes; nothing to ship to the winning bidder, just email the receipe. I would suspect that fulltimers and longtimers would want to avoid selling things that require alot of inventory and shipping materials.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I have seen chocolates that have been left on our pillows that we have cruised on sold on Ebay. EEEkkkk the chocolates weren't left on my pillow..someone that cruised on the same cruise line. Lots of money can be made or lost on Ebay. Your treasure that you bought at a garage sale isn't always someone else's idea of a perfect buy. Investigate the cost of listing on Ebay before you sink all of your eggs into one basket.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:42 AM   #8
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Driftwoodgal is right, eBay or any other business should be fully investigated before you jump in. Also what's good for me, might not be good for you, or vice versa. I am going to test eBay by selling some of the clutter around the stick house. Then, if I determine I can make some money, I will continue with something else.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:48 AM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
I have some collectibles I wanted to try selling on e-bay and had planned to start small and slow.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:27 AM   #10
jerrybb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6198
Yes .. I am already set up on ebay w/Paypal and all ,,,but I've just run out of items to sell ,,,, I can see that you could make a lot of money there, just getting the right items to selll and ship

jerrybb
jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:49 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Lorraine and I would also like to find some online work but we feel E-bay would be too much of a hassle. As full timers we don't deal well with having to ship and receive merchandise through the mail or UPS.

We need something that allows us to work the hours we want when we want. We know that such jobs are out there just haven't been able to find them yet.

Lorraine has a background in data processing, accounting, taxes, spread sheets, etc. This is primarily where she would be most interested.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:53 AM   #12
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
If you are at all handy and enjoy working on RV's (as we all do), RV repair is an option.
I just started on-line distance learning classes through a Community College with the end goal of testing for RVIA RV repair technician certification. Where ever we stay I plan on offering my services to the park we are in as well as surrounding ones as well.
If anyone wants further details, let me know.
Steve
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #13
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I did the ebay thing for about 4 months just selling the junk we removed from a relatives home after she died. Made about $4,000 profit and had some fun learning to do it fair and honest. It was that or sell it at a garage sale. One thing to keep in mind that it takes a lot of boxes and packing material to pack it right and not much storage space in the Monty. We had thing that I would have put in the "free" box at a garage sale that sold for $20+, "one mans junk..."
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #14
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Steve, tell us more about the long-distance learning you are doing. What is the course called? Who offers it? Several years ago I owned and operated a small engine repair shop - mostly lawn mowers and chain saws. I didn't know anything about small engine repair until I took a correspondence course. I was Briggs and Stratton, Kohler, and Tecumseh qualified. It was a lot of fun! I mean grease and tools, what more could a guy ask for?
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:01 PM   #15
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Check out Work Camping http://www.workamper.com
The jobs are sometimes very easy - depends on what you like to do or know about.
Where we are I work in the office 2 days (partial days usually) and Joe works out in the park - handyman type stuff and cleaning etc.
The office is easy if you are good with people, phones and computers.

The other option we have been looking into is caretaking.
http://www.caretaker.org - you pay a subscription just like work camper.
We get hotlines from both Monday - Friday.

Hope this helps, Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #16
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Yea,
I'm still planning on doing the RV Tech certification classes also. I was going to do it this year, but the classes started in January, and I couldn't get everything into storage, and situated in a CG by the college that quickly. The course is 10-11 months, and covers everything involving RV's and trailers. I figure by putting a business card up at the office of whatever CG I'm at, people will approach someone who is already there, then call someone who will automatically hit them with a $75.00 service call. You already have a built in clientele anywhere you go. I've researched the heck out of this, have the college picked out, two potential CG's to stay at, etc. Life tends to get in the way, but thats still my plan next January.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote