Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2006, 11:04 PM   #1
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
Stress crack

Hello everyone....
I have a crack in the outer skin of my 3280RL just at the front bottom of where the bed slides out. I pretty muched caused this myself when the electric blanket control got caught between the inside frame of the slide-out and the wall.
When I took it to the dealer to estimate it for me, he informed me that this particular crack was a problem for Montana, because it's at a "stress" point, and many coaches get the same crack. He even went as far as to tell me that Montana has authorized "repairs" of this crack on new coaches BEFORE the crack even appears.
Now, my question is has anyone had any experience with this problem?? My coach is a 2002, and well out of the warranty period. The dealer said I should contact Keystone, and maybe they will "help" with the repair (which is to put a stress relief seam) at this point.
Just curious if anyone else has had this problem or discussed it with Keystone.
Thanks

RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Rick and Jan,
Many folks have had a similar problem. You may want to use the "Search" feature and try to find so of the many posts regarding this issue. I'm sure you'll also get a lot of replies to your comment. Just stand by. Oh and by the way your getting the electric blanket caught should have little or nothing to do with the stress crack. It's not your fault.

RVWheels, MOC Admin.
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
RJ, This stress crack is not your fault and I would suggest getting in contact with Keystone Customer Service at 800-425-4369 or click here and they will definitely take care of you. Tell them the folks at the Montana Owners Club sent you.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:40 AM   #4
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002

I sent a message to Keystone on their website. It will be interesting to see what they have to say.
Rick
Old 11-10-2006, 01:01 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Rick

Many members find they get slow or no response from email, get on the ole phone and give em a call.

Good luck,
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:03 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
soooo, if the stress crack is NOT your fault (per Glenn's assessment), don't be so anxious to tell the Keystone folks about the EB controller (as you were here).
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:04 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I had a 2000 2850RK that developed the crack about 2 years out of warranty. Keystone took care of it. As stated earlier ... it is common to the early to mid 2000's. They basically slit the filon skin above and below the bedroom slide near the forward corners, and install an expansion joint. This joint is standard on the newer units.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:28 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Forget the E mail...Call the phone number posted.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:05 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have a 2000 3555RL and it developed these cracks in 2004 and Keystone gave me an appointment at Goshen (I was going that way anyway) and they repaired all the cracks plus a lot of other little things they didn't like. When I asked them how much, they said, "Nothing, this is our repair necessity."

Call Customer Service direct and tell them you want to talk to Team Montana. This has a much better response than e-mail.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:44 AM   #10
Montana_3380
Established Member

M.O.C. #3380
Right on all counts! NOT your fault and Montana will fix it and CALL them rather than e-mail. Warranty not an issue.
This can be, and probably is, more than cosmetic. There was a weakness in the frame at that point in the early model years. Keystone will strengthen the frame for you. You don't want that to crack. Very bad news.
Doesn't hurt to mention things that puzzle you (problems) about the rig. They are really generous when you go all the way up to the factory.
Tip: A couple dozen donuts is appreciated on repair day!
Jin
Montana_3380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #11
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Well, I called "Team Montana", and the customer service lady wasn't all that helpful. She really didn't want to discuss it with me, until I took it to the dealer, and he took pictures of the crack, and sent the pics to her. I asked if I could take the pictures and send them myself, as I can't bring it to the dealer till Dec. 2nd, and she said yes, but she still couldn't do anything till she got pictures from the dealer.
I can understand this, but honestly, she was rather "unresponsive" and short.
Guess I'll have to wait to see what she discusses with the dealer.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #12
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Rick

I have the same model as you only its a 2001.I too had the same stress crack where yours is.Brought it to my selling dealer and 1 month later it was fixed so they said.3 miles later while parking it at my storage place-you guessed it the crack was back.I was pissed off to say the least.I got on the phone to Keystone and told them in no uncertain terms that I want this fixed and I will NOT go back to my selling dealer.As a side note this dealer does NOT sell Montanas any more-Keystone pulled their account with them.
Any way went to another dealer who knew what they were doing and got it fixed right this time.This dealer told me it was pretty labor intensive to fix.they had to remove the entire front fiberglass cap and beef up the area where the crack appeared.Keystone footed the entire bill with no cost to me.This was in 2004.Its been fine ever since.I do know this dealer after they beefed up the frame in this area then sent the Montana out to a fiberglass shop to finish the job.This dealer said in hind sight that if they knew it was this much work they would have sent it back to the factory for the repair.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #13
panhandlevern
Established Member

M.O.C. #3622
I had that same problem with my 3280RL, it's a 2000 model. We talked to Keystone, said to have the dealer send pictures. Took it to the selling dealer in Amarillo. They fixed it, at Keystone's cost. At first Keystons said they would stand up to $375, as I'm a second owner. Haven't ussed it since the repair, brought it home and put in winter storage. Plan a trip to CA in Jan will see how it works then.

Vernon & Martha
02 F250 PSD 4x4
00 3280RL
panhandlevern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:20 AM   #14
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
That's interesting Vernon, as they told me to do the exact same thing. Then, yesterday, I received an email from Keystone service dept, affirming the same. I have an appt Dec 2nd, and will see how things go then. The crack in mine is aobut 8" long, and quite unsightly. Hope they can do something. The dealer said the repairs would only be about $300 total anyway.
Rick