Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Johnsonw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9830
Ice Maker

We are getting our 5th Wheel ready for extended or full-time camping. We will be taking a lot of day trips as we travel around the US and will be needing a constant supply of ice cubes. We are looking at buying a portable ice cube maker. Any suggestions about which unit to buy or any pros or cons to using a portable ice maker?

Johnsonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
As you don't list your model number it is hard to advise you, for instance, we have a 3400 which has a W/D cabinet inside the door. We don't have, nor want, a WD so we put a small refer/freezer in this cabinet and use ice cube trays, then tranfer them to the other Freezer. We had a portable but it did not make hard ice and it finally gave up the ghost.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Johnsonw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9830
We have a 2955 RL. I have installed a Washer in the rear Washer/Dryer cabinet and I have a Dryer in the adjacent closet. I was looking at installing a Freezer in the trailer, but they were mostly 120 volt and I was concerned with holding low temps while traveling. The 12 V units were in the range of $1000.
Johnsonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Our aux fridge/freezer is a 120VAC and while travelling, it stays cold enough. We try not to get into it while travelling and have never had a problem with it remaining cold. Our usual trip is 3-5 hours a day.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
We just bought the NewAir model AI-100s for about $170. Looked at numerous models and this one was in the price range and weight we wanted. This model weighs about 28 pounds while the next size up weighs about 46 pounds. It will make ice very well, but does not store ice in the ice maker. You must remove the new ice every so often. We keep the ice maker in our basement storage area because we have a 100 volt receptacle next to it. The ice maker does very well for drinks but I do not recommend it for making ice for a cooler. The ice maker performs as we expected but I would not set your expectations too high. We make a batch of ice and store it in our refrigerator's freezer in zip lock bags.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:12 AM   #6
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
We bought one of the Chinese portable ice makers similar to the ones at Camping World for $299 only it had an Emerson brand and cost $99 at Target on sale. I was skeptical of its claims so I kept the box and packing materials for a few weeks. If you turn it on one hour before happy hour, two people can't out drink it. It just keeps blowing out ten ice cubes every 9 to 12 minures depending on the size of the cube you select.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We, too, have the $100 Emerson that is put on sale regularly at Target. It works fine, makes plenty of cubes rather quickly, and, when we are traveling, usually less than 4 hours a day, it holds most of the cubes. We bring it in and use in the stick house, too. We also got a small freezer from Target on sale for $129 and is also works great and does not take up too much room in our 2980. We have all pros and no cons about ours.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:53 AM   #8
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Johnsonw

We are getting our 5th Wheel ready for extended or full-time camping. We will be taking a lot of day trips as we travel around the US and will be needing a constant supply of ice cubes. We are looking at buying a portable ice cube maker. Any suggestions about which unit to buy or any pros or cons to using a portable ice maker?
Sorry I don't have any input regarding a portable ice maker. But chances are your existing freezer is already setup to add an icemaker, I know mine is! There are holes predrilled for the plumbing etc. in the freezer compartment, you could add something like this one: http://www.icemakersonline.com/RV-Re...ker_p_145.html
coyoterick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:46 AM   #9
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
We used a portable on one trip then promptly returned it to Target. Just to much effort for too little benefit. You must be there to tend to it as the ice maker does not hold the ice. The cubes it made were OK for drinks but we decided it was more trouble then it was worth. We just buy a bag of ice and keep them in a small cooler if we don't have room in the freezer. Jim
Old 08-16-2010, 05:52 AM   #10
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
DW gave me a Magic Chef portable ice maker. Think she got it at Target, also. Works great! Have it plugged in the basement. It is manual (add water and remove cubes when full). Haven't bought ice for my cooler (basement beverage storage) nor run out of "happy hour ice" since we installed it. Very fast cycle time, even on large cube setting. I love it!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:01 AM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We also have the Magic Chef ice maker and wouldn't make a trip without it. We love it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I have a U-Line. A little pricey, but pumps out plenty of ice. If you trade campers, just move it to the new one. Had it several years, works great. Now with the larger underbelly storage, that's where mine is.
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
After the DW kicked my ice trays and bin out of the freezer, she found a Magic Chef Ice Maker that we REALLY like. Using the small setting, it kicks out ice every 7 minutes. So, even on short overnight stops, we use it for happy hour.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #14
Stichwerks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8548
We have the Emerson one from Target that we got when they placed them on clearance for $35.00. Had it for two years and leave it in the basement plugged in when in Mexico for 3 weeks during the summer. Always has cubes ready and seems to work great. Just be sure to bring enough water. When we travel we freeze 1/2 gal and gal bottles of water to use to keep the coolers cold then when the frozen bottles melt we use the water in the jugs for making cubes. That is the only draw back to it is the need for fresh water. But then again if your not in Mexico water probably is not a concern.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:48 AM   #15
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
We have a Magic Chef ice maker. When it makes ice, the result is "SOFT" ice cubes. When used directly from the ice maker the ice melts quickly turning my scotch to scotch & water. Now we take the ice and place it in a one gallon zip lock bag and store in the freezer. Once the ice becomes frozen solid it lasts longer than my drink.
You won't be sorry you got one. Now you need to keep an Eagle Eye out for on sale or clearance. Target and Home Depot have them on sale for $99.00. I have seen the same models as high at $200+ at Camping World and on Clarence for $35.00 at Target.... Pronounced tar-jey. Be aware they come in 12 cube and 8 cube models. Good luck in your hunt.
WorkerB John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote