Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Having fun or just board.. Is this your Montana?

This is somewhat interesting where you can use Google Maps and get street view photos almost anywhere in any city now. I looked for a few campgrounds and you can virtually see people’s campers in some searches. Here is one that shows at least two or three Montana’s in this park.

Open up Google then click on “maps” then type in “171 Casting Lake Rd” it will give you an option to click on “171 Casting Lake Rd, Miramar Beach, Walton, FL 32550“ select that option then zoom in on the main photo and then drag the little gold man at the top left of your screen to the roadway that shows Casting Lake Rd and you will get a bird’s eye view of someone’s Montana. It looks like they are getting ready to leave or are just getting set up. As a matter of fact you can see them in the photos. The quality isn’t good enough to tell who they are but who knows it may be one of us. You can move around on the screen following the line and get several different angles.

Your Montana might be in a Google search of a park somewhere. I found our truck and PT Cruiser sitting in front of Bob Evans in Portsmouth, Ohio when I Googled it using the map and the Bird’s eye view. You can search for your address and you might possibly see your home.

Have fun!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Did the same thing with Bing maps and saw out Montana beside our house.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Same here with Bing and Google maps and depending on picture view, bird's eye view or whatever they're called, I typed in my stickhouse address and sometimes the RV was there and sometimes not and sometimes only the TV. Knowing this I was able to tell when some of the pictures were taken because of where my truck, or RV was parked (on the street, in front of the driveway or in the setback of the garage. Now that's wierd to think we are being photographed at arbitrary times. But never in any picture was the car shown and there was only one week since we lived there that this happened which is why I can estimate when the pictures were taken (May 2009 or was that March 2009). Big Brother is not watching you, he is just taking snapshots at different times of the year for posting on the web.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Amazing, isn't it? When we plan to be in a park more than a couple of days I try to use those satellite pictures to get a look at the park in advance. You can't see everything, of course, but it sure helps in the decision sometimes. One of the pictures of our "home park" in Independence, MO has our rig in it, we're pretty sure. But the aerial and the birds eye pictures are from different times so only one of them showed us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote